To Tan...or not to Tan...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter, the more you write about women, the more I want to meet you :)

I try to limit my exposure to the sun, but there were a few times that we were doing surface skills in the water that I got really bad tans- one time, I got a mask tan from hanging out on the surface for most of the afternoon. The other time, I got a sock tan from my booties, and then on top of it, I got a Teva tan, so my feet were three kinds of shades and patterns. These are the dangers of tanning under 50. :D

When I dive, I wear a full suit instead of a shorty and the problem I have had with the fake tanning is when I pull the suit off, the tan comes off with it. If you do a lot of boat dives and you are in your bathing suit between dives while on the boat, you can get really burned if you aren't careful to reapply sunscreen after every dive because with diving it is going to wash off no matter how water resistant it is and if you have a base tan you are not as likely to get burned when your skin is exposed. I have heard that a sunburn is what is really bad on your skin. When I started diving two years ago and was around the water so much in a swim suit and shorts, I began tanning just a little during the summer. I try to go to the tanning bed only about twice a week and use a lot of moisturizer. So far, my skin seems to be handling it well.

I live in Hawaii, but spent most of my life in PNW. I also am of Irish descent and fair skinned.

Here, you get some color just walking around for short amounts of time. I do not purposely "tan". I wear sunscreen everyday on my face and if I'm going to be in the sun for an extended period of time, I used SPF 50 on all exposed skin. I still get a little color, though. I think it's nature's way of protecting me (uh-oh - maybe an evoluntionary process) from the amount of sun here.

I've dug ditches for a living in south Texas; I worked the flight deck in the Navy, often along the equator... getting tan wasn't the problem :)
Wear long sleeve, loose fitting light colored shirts and long trousers. Wear a hat. Never mind the sideways looks you get.
By the time you're my age you'll most likely have burried a couple of friends who died of skin cancers of one sort or another. It's best if it ain't you.
Rick
--->>> for girldiverllc - just looked at your profile pic. Your color's just fine! Protect it. :D
Rick

TSandM:

He's an absolute gem of a gentleman in person and I love him dearly, meet him and you probably will too.
Ber :lilbunny:

TSandM:

Well Darlin', come on down, I'd love to dive with you. Talk Ber into coming and we'll have a party.

yea, Walter rocks.

we need to find him a wife.

Sun issue, I am always trying to not get tan. I am outside a lot. Spent years and years in SoCal and the Caribbean.

My thing is I put heavy duty sunscreen on my face everyday and retin-A every night. My dermatogist is a big subscriber of the notion that it (Retin A) keeps your cells turning over and thus you actually slough some pre-cancerous cells and help lessen the odds of skin cancer. It does make you more suseptable to sunburn, so you have to slap on the sunscreen....

I never see anyone getting skin cancer on their legs...so I let that tan.

My daughter and her friends go to the spray on tanning salon which makes me nuts, but it is their money...careful though..those places are full of old perverts. I told her the first time I walked in with her that I had a bad feeling...the next night on the news was how these old proprietors hide and watch these 16 year olds get naked... Men wearing gold chains with anchors always gets on my radar....like pinky rings.

off topic...but mildly informative.

There has been some news about sun and an actual addiction to its effects lately. If I go someplace cloudy, I am crying in five days. My brain cannot take it.

Doesn't the spray on tan stuff make your skin a tad orange ?? Not at all familiar with it but had heard that in the past.

'Slogger

Footslogger:
Doesn't the spray on tan stuff make your skin a tad orange ?? Not at all familiar with it but had heard that in the past.

'Slogger

Not the new stuff. Orange is from days gone by.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom