To Tan...or not to Tan...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I grew up in Miami Beach in the 80's, when tans were in and we didn't know it was a possible cause of skin cancer. Not only did we not use sunblock, but we actually applied sun tan oil regularly :11:

By the 90's, we knew better. Since my friends and I still spent lots of time outdoors (boating, diving, beach volleyball, etc), we made it a point to protect ourselves. We always wear a hat, long sleeve t-shirts, sunglasses, lip balm (with SPF), and sunblock (SPF 48) when we go boating / fishing / diving, etc.

I also recently discovered the neoprene type of shirts that sort of fit like a skin suit (thin and tight as a glove). The best part is that you can wear it in and out of the water. If you start to get hot, just get it wet again and the water on the material will cool you down. So it's a practical way of protecting your skin from the sun. But most importantly, it looks kinda cool too :crafty: .

My mom has skin cancer, so I am pretty anti-tanning myself. I like to lie in the sun, but I always wear SPF 45 sunblock and really limit my time. I actually still tan through it quite a bit.

I've never used a tanning bed, I figure if I'm going to expose myself to any harmful rays, it may as well be the real sun!

I've also never used self-tanner. I'm afraid that it would rub off on a towel or something and embarass me!

Wear a burka and there's no problem with solar radiation.

i've never done a tanning bed or fake tanner. the bed wouldn't work & everyone would immediately know the fake was fake.

ah, the joys of red hair...comes with skin that burns, peels, freckles, and then is just as pasty white as before...

There are few things in life as faire and fine as the red hair and alabaster skin of a lovely Irish lass . . .

I my most formal opinion, a lady with a tan cannot hold a candle to the lovely Irish lass when dressed in black and wearing pearls and emeralds.

the K-eltic Knight

scuba-doc:
I grew up in Miami Beach in the 80's, when tans were in and we didn't know it was a possible cause of skin cancer.

Are you sure it was Miami Beach and not deep in the 'glades with no contact with the outside world? Sun exposure was a well known cause of skin cancer in the '80s.

But it wasn't publicized as well as it has been in subsequent years. The medical profession knew it, but the general public wasn't thinking that way.

About feeling bad about being away from the sun...(kinda off-topic)

Here in Sweden we actually have sun-therapy centers and they´re usuallly booked solid from August to...June(?)...They´re part of our "general healthcare" so can´t be completely bogus...Also Sweden & Finland have the highest suicide rates in the world. Some people here don´t see the sun, at all, for about 6 months...I think it makes a difference...

TSandM:
But it wasn't publicized as well as it has been in subsequent years. The medical profession knew it, but the general public wasn't thinking that way.

I was working on a dive boat in the '80s and we were all concerned about getting too much sun.

Not much of a sun worshiper any more ...but I have vivid childhood memories of my nose getting so crispy that the top layer of skin would peel off in strips like a potato chip and that was WITH the sun tanning lotions that were available back in the 50's.

Guess time will tell in my case ...

'Slogger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom