ROATAN ~ 2014 Turquoise Bay Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to hear that TBR was a good trip. I was there a few years ago when Patrick Zing owned Subway dive shop and it was not very good at all. Crappy boats, poor service, delays, breakdowns etc. The accommodation and food were fine but the poor quality of the dive op at the time made the overall experience so so.

Glad the new owners have ramped up the dive op. Maybe I will try it again as the diving itself was good.
I've only dived the south west side of Roatan one day but the diving on the Northeast compared favorably.

When I was there, the dive regimen was 2 tanks in the AM with an on shore surface interval and then one tank PM. Including night dive x 1, I did 18 dives overall in a week.

I chose TBR because it was away from the tourist area and there had been an excellent review by Sport Diver magazine just before I booked.
Did not consider AKR because of the dolphin program.

I chose TBR because it was away from the tourist area and there had been an excellent review by Sport Diver magazine just before I booked.
Did not consider AKR because of the dolphin program.

LOL , You based a trip on a magazine writer that got comped rather than listen to real divers

I learned my lesson

Reactions: Doc
Great trip report and an awesome video. I did Utila this year and was quite impressed with the diving there. I wondered how different it would be from Roatan? After reading this review I am tempted to do Roatan just for comparison purposes.

Oh PS.. we only dove 9 days...

So, with that new part of the algebra, it would be the same pace as a 17 dives per week if one were to do a more standard "5.5 available dive days" type of vacation.

Very few vacationers keep up that kind of schedule. Good on you.

For example, I suspect people often choose CocoView with an eye toward the shore diving option with the wreck of the Prince Albert out front, so they can get a lot of diving crammed into a week, at an all-inclusive place on its own little island.
Correct, this was the reason for our choice. Though we did shore diving from FI, not CV, but this was the idea. There was a catch, though. We quickly found out that evening shore dives to Prince Albert and/or further to the CocoView Wall were not much fun cause water got messed up by night and vis was poor. So after 2 days we switched to early morning shore dives. We were underwater no later than 5:45, then had breakfast and did the usual 3 boat dives.

Back
Top Bottom