Trip Report West End & 2 weeks at Spash Inn May 1-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepsea21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After diving Coz for 20+ years and meeting many divers who were migrating up from Roatan through Coz on their extended regional dive trips Roatan had been on my radar for a long time. One thing that kinda put me off aside from the airfare and prior difficulty getting there the same day from my smaller airport was lots of these divers coming up from Rotan had legs that looked like raw hamburger from the sand flea bites. Late last year when we were looking flights changed, May turned out to be very reasonable to fly and since it is the peak of the dry season I figured the bugs may not be so bad. Based on recommendations from friends, we booked 2 weeks in May at Splash Inn diving with their on-site dive op. Here we go.

Correspondence with Splash Inn via email was great and as we were booking in November for a following May trip and still had to pay for our annual December trip to Cozumel they let us put down just a 50% deposit instead of the typical 100% at booking which was appreciated. I loaded 3 cans of 40% DEET bug spray, 1 squirt bottle of 100% deet and 3 long lasting 12 hour DEET creams in preparation. Pleased to report that 1 can of 40% DEET was all that was needed and I never got a single bite. My wife failed to apply enough 1 night to her arms and got maybe 15 bites that night while dining out so the rule is if you apply spray to all exposed skin there is nothing to worry about. Skip that just 1 night and you can get eaten up. We saw several others who obviously failed to apply bug spray and their legs were all kinds of chewed up.

Getting there... Flight from Miami to Roatan on April 30th was "delayed" a day due to smoke over Roatan which = weather delay and no hotel or meal vouchers provided by the airline. What they don't tell you about until you've experienced it is the slash and burn of all crops at the end of the dry season (end of April) throughout the region that can get out of control (which it did) and while Roatan is 30 miles from the mainland the smoke was so thick flights were "delayed" for us 1 day, for others in Miami... some were waiting 3 days paying for hotel rooms Miami waiting for the smoke to clear. Winds changed and our flight left the next day and upon decent into Roatan the smoke was prevalent as we decended through a haze of it to landing. Throughout the 2 weeks, it depended on the winds... I'd say 6 days we left the room in the morning and the smell of smoke hits you immediately but then you get used to it and don't notice it. Anyone with asthma should NOT travel there during this time and we ran into a couple who were going to leave if the winds didn't change... They did change and the smoke dissapated and they could stay but there were no pristine sunsets with the sun setting over the water the whole time we were there... just setting into a haze of smoke.

I was a bit bummed that Splash Inn still charged me for the room night we missed and wouldn't deduct it as we didn't cancel and were stuck in Miami due to smoke but so be it.

Splash Inn... Pretty much what we expected. Nice place for the price, nice staff & centrally located in West End. Bed was VERY firm like most but after a few days of sleeping on it you realize this is probably what we all should be sleeping on instead of the cocoons us gringos are used to. Our room key had the card to turn on the AC permanently attached to it so no running the AC when you aren't in the room which I can understand given the price of electricity there. AC was fine and cooled the room as much as we needed for sleeping. Water pressure and flow for the shower sucked in the room so I just brought a bar of soap with me and bathed at the showers at the dive shop after our last dive of the day while my wife preferred to shower in the room under the little spray (her call). Breakfast buffet was included with our dive and stay package and was very good and while they say it starts at 7AM it 7:30-7:40AM which was not a problem as the first dive doesn't leave until 9AM at the dive shop right next door so that was stress free. You don't flush TP down the toilets here but you put it in the trash can by the toilet like many places. I guess you can flush it but if you do that you are just going to screw up their septic system and the more times they have to fix it the higher the prices they will have to charge so just put it in the trash can, don't be a stuck up gringo, and understand why. Room service was great and every day our room was cleaned and immaculate upon returning from our dives.

Splash Inn Dive Op... Great dive op in my opinion and so RELAXED. No need to rush here and there, no need to stress about this and that, pick your dives and your name goes on the board and done. Need to change or cancel a dive? No problem. Want to add some more? No problem. Very fluid. Dive gear is very secure in their shop and you get assigned a locker (although there are no locks). That spooked me a bit but there is always someone at the dive shop when it is open and no one is going to walk away with your $1000's of dive gear. Amazingly, most all of it you hang there is almost totally dry by the next day for your dives thanks to the fans running constantly and the heat inside there.

All DM's were great but I have to give a shout out to Tanya who now resides among the top 5 DM's we've ever been diving with. She is just awesome and has been a DM on Roatan for 6 years now. Very comprehensive pre-dive briefings explaining what we are going to do, what we could see, back-up plans, etc. And of course she has her own set of special hard-to-find critters and knows exactly where they are... Seahorse? Done. Frogfish? Done. Nudies? Done. Big stuff is easy but knowing where the small and hard-to-find rare stuff is what sets DM's apart. Tanya is just one awesome DM who is thriving in a pretty male dominated industry in this region. She had to be better to get where she is and she is!

Overall a really great time was had and we'll probably book 2 weeks in May next year as well. It's different from the deeper Cozumel drift diving we are so used to and is a nice change of pace. This is shallower, relaxed, pick-your-dive diving. Is it better than Coz? No in my opinion. Is it different? Yes with far more soft corals and such. Did we have fun? Yes and that's all that counts.

Attachments

• IMG_6320.JPG
    IMG_6320.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6416.JPEG
    IMG_6416.JPEG
    115.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6361.JPG
    IMG_6361.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 48
I just showed up here in the west end on monday (may 15) - haven't noticed any smoke issues yet, maybe just luck with the wind or maybe the peak is passed now? i'll knock on wood.

Wanted to mention that i'm staying at the bayside hotel which has a nice soft feeling bed and good hot water pressure in the shower, while being pretty inexpensive. could be a good option for some.
no breakfast provided but very convenient to swing by Yahongreh in the morning for a coffee and a bealeada or can get a nicer breakfast at a few places

Glad to see your trip report. Since you were at the West End, can you tell us more about that topside experience - did you eat out, see fine beaches, enjoy souvenir shops, etc...? I ask considering that many divers head to the more isolated dive resorts, and West End seems to be the go-to place for people who want a
'town' or some such to mill around and maybe appeal to non-divers.

Richard.

Dive gear is very secure in their shop and you get assigned a locker (although there are no locks). That spooked me a bit but there is always someone at the dive shop when it is open and no one is going to walk away with your $1000's of dive gear.
I'm booked for Labor Day week. This is the part that also has me iffy. Did you leave your computer too? Or did you take it with you to the room?

I'm booked for Labor Day week. This is the part that also has me iffy. Did you leave your computer too? Or did you take it with you to the room?
Yes. I had the same worry as we are running integrated DC's attached to our regs. You have nothing to worry about. The dive shop is staffed all day and then they lock the whole shop up at night. Your gear is totally secure.

Update... Just looked into booking Splash Inn for May 2024 as now is when we can book the best flights for the lowest airmiles and their refund policy has changed!

Prior Policy:

RESERVATIONS AND CANCELLATION POLICIES:
A reservation will only be guaranteed by paying the total amount in full.
In HIGH SEASON, a charge of 50% from the total will be collected in case you cancel once the reservation has been confirmed

REFUND POLICY: In case that there is a proper cancellation (more than 14 days required before the arrival), the refund will only be applied to the same Paypal account it was received from, minus Paypal fees. It will be processed once the source of the funds are verified and confirmed.

CANCELLATION POLICY: All cancellations or modifications must be done 14 days prior to the date of arrival. (30 days on High Season)
Cancellations made later than the required days prior to arrival will have a penalty of the full amount of the deposit paid
NO SHOW POLICY: Penalty of the full amount of the deposit paid.
DIVING & COURSES NO SHOW POLICY: 50% of the total amount will be charged.

New Policy:

RESERVATIONS AND CANCELLATION POLICIES:
A reservation will only be guaranteed by paying the total amount in full.
All guaranteed reservations are NON-REFUNDABLE!
CREDIT CARD PAYMENT: Charge of 75% of the total amount will be applied when booking and balance of 25% must be paid using the same card at check in upon arrival

CANCELLATION POLICY: All cancellations or modifications are not allowed.
Cancellations will have a penalty of the full amount of the deposit paid
NO SHOW POLICY: Penalty of the full amount of the deposit paid.
DIVING & COURSES NO SHOW POLICY: 100% of the total amount will be charged.

That is a deal killer for us looking to book about a year in advance when we have to get our flights locked in early on airmiles (that are fully refundable). We'll look elsewhere for more amenable cancellation refund policies around West End with places to stay and dive ops and see what we can find.

The collection of 100% non-refundable deposits should not be viewed as a profit center. I could understand their prior 2-week policy to some extent but this? Trying to book for early May when the island is empty? Nope. Heck, we can book everything at our preferred accommodations and dive op in Cozumel and get all $ refunded as long as we cancel within 48 hours of arrival!

If you say the island is abandoned in May, make your reservations in April when you are certain of your plans?

Nice pix from your visit, but that undying proclamation of the love affair only lasted 40 days. Plenty of fish in the sea, they’re all the same, right?

How ‘bout you buy trip insurance?

You weren’t going to just cancel capriciously for no particular reason, were you?

Coz might be good for you!

Book our flights in Aprli 2024 for a May trip when they will cost me $1,200 per person instead of $670 that I can book now for the same flights (forgetting about using air miles)? Nah. I'll look around for other accomodations and dive ops with better refund policies around West End, Honduras. If they can't be found we'll just do 3 dive trips in 2024 in Coz instead of 2 and 1 to Roatan.

The whole key for me is matching the best flights and their lowest cost when booked early that are fully refundable and booking accomodations far in advance that match those dates with an equal 100% refund policy between now and then. Splash Inn wants to take a non-refundable deposit when I'm looking to book a year in advance? Forget that & screw that.

You're right, my love affair with Splash Inn just ended today when I tried to book this May 2024 trip.

I explained my concerns and the response I recieved was:

Hi Mr. Schmidt,

Thank you very much for your prompt and honest response. If you can't find something better, it will be a pleasure to receive you again.

Best Regards

That says go F yourself , look around, and come back if you can't find anything. Well, I'll look around and if I can't find anything I'll book flights and accomodations + diving in Coz for May 2024. I have 2 weeks booked in Coz for October and another 2 in December this year with no worry. I love Coz... Been diving Cox for almost 20 years... Just as happy to go to Coz in May 2024 and not deal with this 100% non-refundable BS Splash Inn is handing me a year in advance.

BTW.. Splash Inn has 3 dive boats and in May only 1 was running most days and a few days they ran 2 of the 3 so it is not as though they were at maximum capacity with all rooms and all boats filled.

No, you misunderstood. Book the cheap air now. Then wait to book the rooms until April 2024 when the island is what you note is a ghost town. Maybe you’ll get a last minute discount, too. Win!

I’ve read your reports over many years for Cozumel. After 20+ years of Coz trips- You’re obviously well-versed with everything that goes on there. What I might tell you is that when you dive Cozumel, you can access the same dive sites from every operation … but not the case in Roatan

if you get away from that zone that you were in on the West and move out maybe to the South or the far East/North you might see something that intrigues you more than you thought you were interested in a Cozumel!

Roatan might open a whole new vista for you. You got some nice pictures of some decidedly medium size creatures.

Wait till your DM finds the really small stuff! The diff between a good DM and a Master.

Roatan is a big place for being such a small island. You might be on to something, go shopping,

But again- why not just buy trip insurance? Simple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom