Thank heavens for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spiderman:
MikeF, I really thought you were a blowhard until this post. I am glad you finally gave a specific skill with a positive insight. I would be interested in your thoughts on the other subjects you mentioned. I suggest that you start a new thread that covers your ideas. This one seems to be the wrong location. I am really interested on how you feel these subjects should be taught.

In the past we've had several threads where I and others posted some of the things we do in detail. I'll try to dig up some of the threads.

I think in one thread I outlined things that we do in the class room, confined water and open water.

Actually we've probably changed enough since then that it might be woth doing another thread.

Maybe I'll start one later this evening.

gedunk:
Eeeeht .... wrong ... care to try again? Other than an ANDI nitrox course and some TDI courses, all the scuba courses i have taken, including instructor, were through PADI.

Jon,

I'd be interested in hearing any comments you might have on what I said about my IDC and IE in answer to your question asking whether or not I thought an instructor could be pass the IE without getting neutral.

IndigoBlue:
I believe you can almost get the same thing from SSI, NAUI, or YMCA by only taking their OW course, however, and you would still be safe in the water.

That is the PADI legacy. Definitely not worth thanking heavens for.

Believe what you will. I dove for over ten years with only a PADI BOW (Basic Open Water) card. Quite successfully and enjoyably i might add. How long have you been diving again?

Your missing any point of this thread, so practice what you preach and stop posting to it.

MikeFerrara:
Jon,

I'd be interested in hearing any comments you might have on what I said about my IDC and IE in answer to your question asking whether or not I thought an instructor could be pass the IE without getting neutral.

Mike,
We had different experiences. I would not have passed my IE had i not been able to maintain neutral buoyancy beyond just performing a hover.

Thats not to say some things were not done on the bottom or off a platform, they were. However, it is a oversimplification to say because of that, the instructor candidates could not maintain good buoyancy control and trim.

Those that couldn't, did not pass and there were a couple who washed out for that reason.

I started it. I was pointing out that PADI found a way to make a minor sport/activity on the level of field hockey, lacross or curling into a worldwide hobby. It did it by making it fun, teaching skills in chunks small enough to learn, and rewarding people that stuck with the program with ratings and recognition. It has a magazine that's fun. It has a diving society that is fun. It's approach is not the glowering "you'll kill yourself" that permeates most diving discussion & instruction. It's success has created the "Put another dollar in" and other criticisms. I wanted to know specifically what PADI was doing wrong so it can be corrected. I asked what other agencies were doing better that could be copied. We got pretty good answers. After all of these hits I think PADI comes out rather well.

How old is this thread? Wow. Anyway, just became certified through PADI. Biggest thing that stuck with me during the whole process, other than how to deal with problems like reg free flow, mask flooding, no air, etc. PADI is churning out new divers at an alarming rate. While I was doing my confined we were sharing the small pool with at least one other class. At one point it seemed like there were 20 of us in the pool at the same time. Did not make for a relaxing learning environment.

During the OW I felt like the instructor was in a race with herself. "Let's see how many people can complete all of these tasks before noon so I can get home to my dogs." Let's face it, people learn at different rates. While some of my fellow learners mastered buoyancy right away, others were still freaking out during a mask clear.

Having passed the course, I am in no way ready to call myself a scuba diver. I believe the learning will never end. I am heading to Belize in two weeks and wouldn't dream of jumping in the water with my buddy without and experienced, private instructor.

Thanks to PADI for giving me a glimpse of what can be achieved, however, it's up to me to continue my education and broaden my horizons in a safe and responsible manner.

Jewelz:
How old is this thread? Wow.

I agree, this has to be some kind of record, does any of the moderators know what the longest thread on the board has been?

Jewelz:
PADI is churning out new divers at an alarming rate.

Diving is cool, a lot of people want to do it. in fact, 50% of north americans would do it if given the chance. What is alarming is that there are only 10 million scuba divers in the world

Jewelz:
While I was doing my confined we were sharing the small pool with at least one other class. At one point it seemed like there were 20 of us in the pool .

We need more instructors, A LOT more instructors.

:wink:

cancun mark:
We need more instructors, A LOT more instructors. :wink:

No, we need more VERY GOOD instructors, there is a major difference. Paitience, knowledge and the ability to teach don't always go hand in hand.

Thank god it is something I have seen a lot of around here :wink:

Mr Mares:
No, we need more VERY GOOD instructors, there is a major difference.

Instructors that can take VERY large classes??? Like 20 to confined?? :sarcasm:

maybe we shouldn't have classes that large. maybe we should cap classes at six or eight, tops?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom