Thank heavens for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
I stated what I see as clear deficiencies in the standards and you respond by whining.

If you're going to post to the thread, contribute to the discussion. If you're not interested then why don't you just stay out of it?
We now know that Mike has been bashing away here at padi for a number of posts saying the same thing taking the moral high road and standing above any errors, never having had to correct any errors and not made any mistakes it sounds very much like the flogging of a dead horse and preaching to a choir whilst singing the la la sound,that is my blah blah

if you disagree with what anyone has said, address their arguments and please
refrain from making personal attacks on the poster.

scubadoguk:
We now know that Mike has been bashing away here at padi for a number of posts saying the same thing taking the moral high road and standing above any errors, never having had to correct any errors and not made any mistakes it sounds very much like the flogging of a dead horse and preaching to a choir whilst singing the la la sound,that is my blah blah

Lawman asked for examples from the standards and I provided them.

It's not bashing to relate what's in or not in the standards.

I'm not above any errors. If you believe that my interpretation of the standards is in error I'll be happy to check and correct myself if I need to. I only summerized them so if there is something in there that you feel I ommited and should be brought out, please feel free to do so.

If you approve of the way training is conducted and you are a PADI member these standards should be a point of pride for you. Why not discuss them in the open?

I disagree that it's beating a dead horse because as a rule the diving public is totally in the dark about what's actually in the standards and why.

buoyancy skills. Other than that it seems to come out
all right.

I started the thread and I propose we end it here.

Lawman:
buoyancy skills. Other than that it seems to come out
all right.

I started the thread and I propose we end it here.

We can end it there if you want but buoyancy control was only the first example subject but there are more. Off the top of my head a few more would be...

gas management
buddy skills
balance and trim

MikeFerrara:
It's not bashing to relate what's in or not in the standards.

True, but they can still sue you over it. I think they don't want anyone to know.

Can we just please let this thread die?

I am really tired of seeing Thank Heavens For PADI on the new posts list.

Especially since I do not thank heavens for PADI at all, nor do most diving instructors who have been around for awhile and who know what PADI has accomplished in the past several decades, most of which mostly benefits only PADI.

I cannot believe this thread ever got started. And it would be really nice if it died.

Or better yet, MikeF, why dont you just kill the whole thread?

MikeFerrara:
I think letting students see it done well is half the battle. A couple years ago I tried something and it worked great!

First I have some video of great divers and some of some not so great divers that I show in class.

second
In my class the students never see a DM or instructor touch the bottom. Even when we demo skills in shallow water we do it off the bottom and horizontal. In addition I never have students kneel. In the beginning when they can't keep from touching the bottom I have them stay prone. We go through life vertical except when sleeping so we have to break the habit/reflex of wanting to go vertical every time we go to do something.

By the end of the introduction of some of the shallow skills a portion of the class will be getting off the bottom on their own just to copy us. That's before I've asked them to or showed them how. If the instructor kneels the student will practice kneeling. If you dive well the student will practice diving well.

MikeF, I really thought you were a blowhard until this post. I am glad you finally gave a specific skill with a positive insight. I would be interested in your thoughts on the other subjects you mentioned. I suggest that you start a new thread that covers your ideas. This one seems to be the wrong location. I am really interested on how you feel these subjects should be taught.

IndigoBlue:
Especially since I do not thank heavens for PADI at all, nor do most diving instructors who have been around for awhile and who know what PADI has accomplished in the past several decades, most of which mostly benefits only PADI.

Eeeeht .... wrong ... care to try again? Other than an ANDI nitrox course and some TDI courses, all the scuba courses i have taken, including instructor, were through PADI.

I've been around awhile and PADI has done fine by me. I guess i must be the exception to the rule eh?

I think at least part of the point lawman was originally trying to make is that the scuba industry would most likely be a much smaller place had PADI not done what it did the last several decades.

That means many of us would not be divers today. The debate on whether that is a good or bad thing will rage on ... most likely for eternity.

PADI may not be the end all to the scuba industry but the negative rhetoric toward PADI in here is really quite amazing sometimes. :06:

gedunk:
Eeeeht .... wrong ... care to try again? Other than an ANDI nitrox course and some TDI courses, all the scuba courses i have taken, including instructor, were through PADI.

I've been around awhile and PADI has done fine by me. I guess i must be the exception to the rule eh?

I think at least part of the point lawman was originally trying to make is that the scuba industry would most likely be a much smaller place had PADI not done what it did the last several decades.

That means many of us would not be divers today. The debate on whether that is a good or bad thing will rage on ... most likely for eternity.

PADI may not be the end all to the scuba industry but the negative rhetoric toward PADI in here is really quite amazing sometimes. :06:

I think if you are devout and you Put Another Dollar In repeatedly with PADI, not just in your OW course, but immediately followed by PADI AOW and PADI Rescue as well, then you get a good course of instruction from PADI.

I believe you can almost get the same thing from SSI, NAUI, or YMCA by only taking their OW course, however, and you would still be safe in the water.

That is the PADI legacy. Definitely not worth thanking heavens for.

Like I said before, I just hope MikeF kills this thread. Some things are better not to be continually re-reminded of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom