Scubapro Sidemount - initial impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just made another change in the last few days. Loop bungees. Used a slide and some 550 cord on the 2" webbing that goes down the back under the wing and on both sides under the harness d-rings as attachment points. May try some big rubber o-rings. Will try it all out in Roatan soon.

Hey guys,

I just bought the ScubaPro X-tec Sidemount BCD, the posts in this thread have helped me modify some stuff on the BCD. I added the Dive Rite metal ring system, some D-rings and made some cosmetic changes.

The thing is that I am diving with the 45lb wing and I am thinking of adding a second 45lb wing (top one as normal, back one backwards) so I will have one inflator hose on each side of the bcd.

Do you guys think this would be a good idea? I already have both the 45lb wings and I would like your opinions before I start taking things apart again.

All the best,

Serge.

So I have been playing around with my set up, I added a ring the Dive Rite Ring Bungee to the continuous 6mm bungee loop the OP had on his bcd.

i also used the remaining bungee to thread the wing.

I used the original bungee and passed it through the second side hole to have a spare.

Another thing I would like to change is the configuration of the dump valve and the inflator hose, i am thinking of inverting them.

Finally, I have been looking around for a dual bladder upgrade kit for the wing, but I haven't been able to find a suitable internal bladder To add to the x-tek 45 wing.

Could you guys help me with some suggestions?

I was trying to investigate if I could get a redundancy bladder to upgrade my scubapro wing. Unfortunately, I can’t find anything from scubapro or a compatible redundancy bladder.

So I had the idea of putting both 45lb wings offset back to back (sandwiching the corrugated hoses and the dump valves between the wings) and constricting them with my bungee. Would this be a bad idea? Besides making it more bulky is there any negatives I should be aware of in installing two wings on one bcd?

All the best,

Serge

Hey guys,

So I finally finished putting together everything, the BCD now has two independent wings, I took it to the shop to ask a technician if he thought I could dive with it and he said I could but my set up is not Ideal.

In the end the hardest part was trying to route the dump valves. They would open and not close after that, I shortened the strings and it seems to be working ok, but I will have to test it. Here are some pictures of it completely set up:

43C66AEA-308B-40A9-810F-0B48F90E9618.jpeg

5BFD2027-0C7B-4456-9A0A-04348B1920AC.jpeg

If you guys have any recommendations or opinions please let me know, I will be diving with it on Saturday and I must admit I am a little bit worried.

Anyway, I will do an after dive post.

All the best,

Serge

Well, how did it dive, Serge? You ever make it back?

Hey Andrew,

It was okay,it worked except that it was too cumbersome and the piano keys in the inflation hoses would sometimes be triggered, which made it an inviable option for tec diving.

I decided to dissemble it again and have a spare bladder, it was a fun project and it is a great BCD, but I guess that having two 45 lb bladders attached to the softplate was a little bit insane.

All the best,

So I have been playing around with my set up, I added a ring the Dive Rite Ring Bungee to the continuous 6mm bungee loop the OP had on his bcd.

i also used the remaining bungee to thread the wing.

I used the original bungee and passed it through the second side hole to have a spare.

Another thing I would like to change is the configuration of the dump valve and the inflator hose, i am thinking of inverting them.

Finally, I have been looking around for a dual bladder upgrade kit for the wing, but I haven't been able to find a suitable internal bladder To add to the x-tek 45 wing.

Could you guys help me with some suggestions?

Are there any videos that show how that bungee setup works. I’ve only used/known one way so I’m don’t understand the function of the rings, links, and bolt snaps.

I assume it’s possible to run just a bare bungee loop to wrap around the neck to the valve stem on this harness?

This is a ring bungee system, you put a choker and a bolt snap in the neck of the valve and clip it on instead of wrapping the bungee around the valve.

However, I think that the loop bungee system is better, mainly because it has less failure points and the tank is not hanging from the metal O-ring.

Here is a video from simplyscuba.com explaining it better than I could:

All the best,

Serge

Are there any videos that show how that bungee setup works. I’ve only used/known one way so I’m don’t understand the function of the rings, links, and bolt snaps.

I assume it’s possible to run just a bare bungee loop to wrap around the neck to the valve stem on this harness?

Yes, there is no need for the ring or link. You can loop the bungee around the valve knob, or around the projection for the burst disc assembly.

I prefer to pull the loop in between me and the tank and then under the tank and around either the valve handle or the projection for the burst disc assembly - which ever is on the bottom. This torques the tank in toward me. Given that I run the SPGs up so that they lie flat against my pectoral muscles, that inward rotation is important to keep the SPGs there when the tank gets light and the tail starts to want to float. Between properly clocking the lower bolt snap and that inward torque from the bungee you won't get the "shovel" effect with the SPGs hanging below you.

The reason for using a continuous loop bungee is to get more stretch out of the bungee so that you can use a shorter loop on each side that pulls the tanks up higher behind your arms.

The Dive Rite Ring bungee system, even just the ring, bolt snap and quick link, works against that as the length of the bolt snap and quick link becomes the limiting factor in how far up and back the tank can go. In other words the greater stretch of the bungee is wasted as it just pulls the bolt snap and quick link tight, and it then prevents the tank from being up where you want it.

There are some uses for rings, and they do not need to be used with a quicklink.

Below is a Hollis Katana 2, that I've rigged the same way as my Scubapro sidemount harness (which now lives in my dive locker down in north Florida). There is a ring on the right side to allow me to clip the upper bolt snap on my KISS Sidekick CCR to the ring - similar to the Dive Right ring bungee system, but without the bolt snap and quick link. Why leave them off? Because they impair the upward movement of the Sidekick, and because they just are not needed.

Note how short the bungee loop is on each side (it is also a single continuous loop). I can usually reach the ring when gearing up to connect the CCR. The olive colored 550 paracord however supports the Sidekick while I walk to the water and provides the same safety net as a bolt snap and quick link in the event the bungee ever breaks - in the water or out. The paracord loop on the other side lets me pull that otherwise impossible to reach bungee loop forward on the tank side (left side) so that I can reach the bungee to loop it over the valve on my LP85 dil-out bottle.

I also have a 6" paracord loop with a bolt snap on it that is larksheaded over the base of the tank valve (you can see it hanging below the second stage in the second image). If I am out of the water when I clip that tank on, that bolt snap and loop of paracord serves the same purpose as the Dive Rite ring, bolt snap and quick link - supporting the weight of the tank and taking most of the stress off the bungee. It will also serve as a back up underwater in the event the bungee ever breaks (although I've been diving sidemount for about 10 years and about 500 dives and have never had a bungee break yet).

The difference with the paracord loop is that I can adjust the length of the loop so that it is just long enough not to impede the ability of the bolt snap to pull the tank up and back where I want it to be so that it is in line with my torso. In short it does everything the bolt snap and quick link do in the Dive Rite system without the problem of being too short to let the tank ride properly.

115973286_1679060435586191_1100491250198307931_n.jpg

92796730_1587813681377534_1310699159744937984_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom