• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Scubapro Sidemount - initial impressions

Discussion in 'Sidemount Diving' started by DA Aquamaster, Apr 17, 2017.

1. James R

James R PADI Pro

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Just made another change in the last few days. Loop bungees. Used a slide and some 550 cord on the 2" webbing that goes down the back under the wing and on both sides under the harness d-rings as attachment points. May try some big rubber o-rings. Will try it all out in Roatan soon.

2. Sidemount Serge

Sidemount Serge Garibaldi

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Hey guys,

I just bought the ScubaPro X-tec Sidemount BCD, the posts in this thread have helped me modify some stuff on the BCD. I added the Dive Rite metal ring system, some D-rings and made some cosmetic changes.

The thing is that I am diving with the 45lb wing and I am thinking of adding a second 45lb wing (top one as normal, back one backwards) so I will have one inflator hose on each side of the bcd.

Do you guys think this would be a good idea? I already have both the 45lb wings and I would like your opinions before I start taking things apart again.

All the best,

Serge.

3. Sidemount Serge

So I have been playing around with my set up, I added a ring the Dive Rite Ring Bungee to the continuous 6mm bungee loop the OP had on his bcd.

i also used the remaining bungee to thread the wing.

I used the original bungee and passed it through the second side hole to have a spare.

Another thing I would like to change is the configuration of the dump valve and the inflator hose, i am thinking of inverting them.

Finally, I have been looking around for a dual bladder upgrade kit for the wing, but I haven't been able to find a suitable internal bladder To add to the x-tek 45 wing.

Could you guys help me with some suggestions?

4. Sidemount Serge

I was trying to investigate if I could get a redundancy bladder to upgrade my scubapro wing. Unfortunately, I can’t find anything from scubapro or a compatible redundancy bladder.

So I had the idea of putting both 45lb wings offset back to back (sandwiching the corrugated hoses and the dump valves between the wings) and constricting them with my bungee. Would this be a bad idea? Besides making it more bulky is there any negatives I should be aware of in installing two wings on one bcd?

All the best,

Serge

5. Sidemount Serge

Hey guys,

So I finally finished putting together everything, the BCD now has two independent wings, I took it to the shop to ask a technician if he thought I could dive with it and he said I could but my set up is not Ideal.

In the end the hardest part was trying to route the dump valves. They would open and not close after that, I shortened the strings and it seems to be working ok, but I will have to test it. Here are some pictures of it completely set up:

43C66AEA-308B-40A9-810F-0B48F90E9618.jpeg
    5BFD2027-0C7B-4456-9A0A-04348B1920AC.jpeg

If you guys have any recommendations or opinions please let me know, I will be diving with it on Saturday and I must admit I am a little bit worried.

Anyway, I will do an after dive post.

All the best,

Serge