Thank heavens for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I will say this though. Telling students the whole story will eliminate much of the equipment being manufactured from concideration. That wouldn't be good for the manufacturers or the dive shops who need to sell the stuff and indirectly wouldn't do the agencies any good either since it's the shops and instructors who pay membership dues which is a significant percentage of the agencies income.

Mike,

What wouldn't be good for the manufacturers if the OW students knew, what "whole story" are you talking about?

Diversauras once bubbled...

Mike,

What wouldn't be good for the manufacturers if the OW students knew, what "whole story" are you talking about?

I'm a little rushed so I'll probably add more later but for starters...

If you work with a student in getting balanced, trimmed and really streamlined there are lots of bc's that will prove themselves junk.

If you spend some time on looking at different configurations in regards to streamlinning and utility you see that even the bc's with lots of D-rings fail to put any in a place where they're very useful.

If you teach more than a streight legged flutter kick, most will conclude that a large percentage of the fins on the market are nothing more than expensive gimicks.

ve vill teach you how to dive! ve vil gif you the
standards!! You VIL meet the standards of
the Hitler School of Diving or ve vil make you
hurt all over like the pig dogs you are!!!!

Welcome to Mikes first orientation class....

MikeF bubbled a bubble that "There is profit in keeping the student diver ignorant."

This is true. I'm glad I found this board.....

Without this board, I would surely panic at 180ft because my reg was free flowing, my buddy was 80 feet away, I would dump all of my weight, take my mask off, and hit the power inflate button all the way to the surface..until I shot out of the water like a missile launched from a nuclear submarine...wheewww
:)

Sorry, got carried away there.

Easy there boy. Nothing wrong with making sure your students know their skills...but here is the 2 dollar question..

Mike, are your students required by you to do anything more than what PADI requires?

I'm a little rushed so I'll probably add more later but for starters...

If you work with a student in getting balanced, trimmed and really streamlined there are lots of bc's that will prove themselves junk.

If you spend some time on looking at different configurations in regards to streamlinning and utility you see that even the bc's with lots of D-rings fail to put any in a place where they're very useful.

If you teach more than a streight legged flutter kick, most will conclude that a large percentage of the fins on the market are nothing more than expensive gimicks.

Your comments are not aimed at the average rec diver. If you are talking about some specific direction to take fine, but for basic OW I think you're wrong. You are no doubt a great diver and instructor but you are now lookng at the whole picture through the issue glasses and while you and the elite may think it is the only way to go, it isn't. There are many fine divers out there that have BCs that don't fit your requirements, and there are divers that can get trimmed out and stay off the bottom and not commit any of the other mortal sins attributed to non BP/W long hose doing it the wrong way divers.

Diversauras once bubbled...

Your comments are not aimed at the average rec diver. If you are talking about some specific direction to take fine, but for basic OW I think you're wrong. You are no doubt a great diver and instructor but you are now lookng at the whole picture through the issue glasses and while you and the elite may think it is the only way to go, it isn't. There are many fine divers out there that have BCs that don't fit your requirements, and there are divers that can get trimmed out and stay off the bottom and not commit any of the other mortal sins attributed to non BP/W long hose doing it the wrong way divers.

I agree. We could pretty much strap onything and do a dive and live but some stuff works far better than other stuff. Although, you don't notice it until you know a few things and develop a certain level of skill. If we keep them in the dark we can sell them pretty much anything.

jepuskar once bubbled...

Mike, are your students required by you to do anything more than what PADI requires?

That depends how you look at it. The standards say a student must swim at least 30 yards while netral. It also says that the student must master each skill and gives a definition of mastery. the standards would allow me to have students kick like hell accross the pool and as long as they didn't hi the bottom I could pass them. I guess my student do a bit more neutral swimming than that.

The book says they have to do mask clearing and removal and all that. It doesn't say that the student has to be plastered to the bottom. That's a choice instructors make.

Bottom line...the standards give a list of skills but when it comes to deciding when the student is good enough it's pretty subjective. Leaning one way gets the class over and the instructor home sooner without putting much thought or inovation into it and the other requires a lot more effort. Guess which is done more often.

The book says they have to do mask clearing and removal and all that. It doesn't say that the student has to be plastered to the bottom.

lolol..now that was funny, true..but funny.

Hee, Lawman, you're hilarious. Even though I totally disagree with you referring to GUE instructors/DIR divers as fascists with german accents. They/we aren't.

I'm quite liberal. And can pull of quite a convincing southern (specifically North Carolina) drawl, as well as a Vancouver/British Columbia inflection (just say 'aboot' and put 'hey?' or 'ay/' at the end of every statement and you're most of the way there, actually).

Diversauras, I think that MikeF's teaching is definitely aimed at the average recreational diver. Since that's who he is teaching. And honestly, I think that the bar has been raised for all of us and some people are reacting in a predictable fashion.

Margaret

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom