Southwest coming to Cozumel!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decades ago, I made several flights from San Antonio to Austin. I think that was about 80 miles, and I guess they just left the flaps down. I wondered why the airline had that flight, but it was a hoot in 1988 during the triple mileage campaign, as I'd get 3,000 extra FF miles, back when they were valuable and easy to use, on the same priced ticket to Lubbock.

SWA? Back then it was credits, 1 credit each way regardless of flight length with 16 credits to earn a RapidRewards RT ticket anywhere they fly. You had people gaming the system, taking cheap short hops (even ultra-cheap weekend fares), often making the RT in one day, then using the reward for an expensive cross country trip.

SWA? Back then it was credits, 1 credit each way regardless of flight length with 16 credits to earn a RapidRewards RT ticket anywhere they fly. You had people gaming the system, taking cheap short hops (even ultra-cheap weekend fares), often making the RT in one day, then using the reward for an expensive cross country trip.
Nah, Delta. I could buy a RT Lubbock to San Antonio for a small price, use a 2½ thousand mile coupon to upgrade to First Class on all legs, then obtain 4 thousand per leg or 20 thousand for the trip, net 17½ thousand after the upgrade coupon. Then 25 thousand would get me a FC ticket from anywhere to anywhere in North America. I spent 1988 having too much fun that way.

Sounds like many of the wild stories I heard from the early wild west days of deregulation.

Sounds like many of the wild stories I heard from the early wild west days of deregulation.
SWA was actually much cheaper in those days, and the regular airlines often matched their fares in Texas and nearby states they flew under the Wright amendment. I heard in late 1987 that Delta had a special campaign coming, but the other airlines seemed caught unprepared. Delta & American Express announced their partnership in the triple mileage program on January 1, 1988 I think. The others moved to match their game. It did get crazy. So did I.

I love flying Southwest! It is exciting to see them enter more and more of the Caribbean markets. I dream(delusional?) one day they will add Roatan and Bonaire to their routes. Those flights are always outrageously expensive!

The good old days? Like when I purchased a one way from Jax to EWR on People’s Express for $18.00 and paid for it after I was seated on the plane! They came through the cabin with a CC slider.....lol

I've never found a SWA flight from ATL to CUN for less than $500.00. I don't see CZM being any cheaper. I will most likely keep doing the bag drag with Delta when I find cheap airfares or low FF mile flights.

The Houston area itself can fill the flights from HOU to CZM…that's why

I meant DFW as a place.....not DFW Airport. I apologize for the miscommunication.

ohhhhhh... I apologize for the confusion. Now that you mention it, I guess DFW is one of the few airports whose code actually describes its metropolitan area. In contrast to LAX, JFK, ORD, etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom