Southwest coming to Cozumel!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's an MX missile base?

MX is an abbreviation for maintenance, I thought it was more common outside of aviation that I wouldn't need to explain it. I guess I was wrong.

United also uses Denver's newer airport as a hub, but then the idea of a hub is rather fluid.

Just flew through it last week. It isn't the worst airport that I've been through for international, they at least had moving sidewalk for the six mile walk to customs.

Just flew through it last week. It isn't the worst airport that I've been through for international, they at least had moving sidewalk for the six mile walk to customs.
We changed planes to & from the Yellowstone area for the last Solar Eclipse. Our flight leaving Lubbock was delayed on the ground as a storm moved across the Amarillo area, so we missed our connection in Denver, with no backup flight plans. The next flight had closed the gate and pushed away, point of no return, and I'll always wonder how my daughter got them to let us & our bags get on somehow. I guess it was better for the airline to not be stuck with us.

I did four hour layovers there last year to & from Saint George. Ugh! United keeps offering me flights from Lubbock thru Denver to Cozumel, but no way do I want to spend more time in Economy seats.

The next flight had closed the gate and pushed away, point of no return, and I'll always wonder how my daughter got them to let us & our bags get on somehow. I guess it was better for the airline to not be stuck with us.

On my way out for my last trip, I didn't think I would make my connection for Hong Kong, and would be stuck overnighting in hel... err I mean Newark. But they held the plane over an hour to get all the passengers and their bags on it.

I did four hour layovers there last year to & from Saint George. Ugh! United keeps offering me flights from Lubbock thru Denver to Cozumel, but no way do I want to spend more time in Economy seats.

Yeah for some reason it is hard to get on some of the better flights. I remember trying to get on the direct MIA to some Caribbean island (forget what it was) but the only way I could get on the flight was to fly to Charlotte (using my home airport) and then down to MIA. But there was no way I could just put in MIA and get the direct flight.

Southwest entered the international business by purchasing AirTran. They paid tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars to convert Hobby (HOU) into an international airport, adding customs and enlarging the airport. For that reason, they are going to make HOU the gateway to CZM. Maybe later they will serve it from FLL, too.

It seems everyone is assuming non-stop flight HOU-CZM. With a half dozen daily flights into CUN, I suppose it might be possible that they will use one or two of them to serve CZM as a 1-stop direct flight.

It seems everyone is assuming non-stop flight HOU-CZM. With a half dozen daily flights into CUN, I suppose it might be possible that they will use one or two of them to serve CZM as a 1-stop direct flight.
I really don't see SW doing connections from CUN to CZM, a 20 minute air hop.

I really don't see SW doing connections from CUN to CZM, a 20 minute air hop.
Like their Chicago (Midway), IL - MDW to Grand Rapids, MI - GRR flight? Non-stop 137 miles.

Many Moons ago I took a SWA flight From LIT > DAL> PHX > OAK and never switched planes. I just sat and waited for deboarding reboarding in DAL and PHX. It might be in the cards to do HOU> CUN> CZM but I think that article said that it would be HOU>CZM direct.

The longest wait I have ever had in CZM was about 45 minutes. High season Saturday with three plane loads and only 2 1/2 of the 5 immagration posts manned. Similar occurrence in CUN this winter with a 1 1/2 hour delay and again the delay was due to staffing the immagration posts. The government actually put out a press release after the CUN incident apologizing and promising to better manage staffing in the future.

Many Moons ago I took a SWA flight From LIT > DAL> PHX > OAK and never switched planes. I just sat and waited for deboarding reboarding in DAL and PHX. It might be in the cards to do HOU> CUN> CZM but I think that article said that it would be HOU>CZM direct.

Southwest does do round robin flights, but that is domestic. It is extremely rare that countries grant foreign flagged carriers the right to operate domestically. Now there are some cases where they allow a stop to disembark and embark passengers as long as the overall trip is still an international trip for the passenger. For example they could do HOU to CUN to CZM but they can't take on passengers in CUN, and on the return flight they can't disembark passengers at CUN, but again this right is rarely granted, and you are flying a plane at less than capacity which isn't economical.

For those interested in the details you can look up cabotage and the Freedoms of the Air. Cabotage is why cruise ships, which are almost always foreign flagged, have to stop at a foreign port.

MX is an abbreviation for maintenance, I thought it was more common outside of aviation that I wouldn't need to explain it. I guess I was wrong.
I didn't really think you meant it was an MX missile base (many of us likely do not remember the MX missile LGM-118 Peacekeeper - Wikipedia), but no, I was not familiar with the term.

Back
Top Bottom