Si Tech Dry Glove liners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petrieps

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a question for all the neld winter divers. I made the switch this year to Si Tech Dry gloves. I love the gloves but my hands are still getting cold after about 45 minutes. The yellow fleece liners were ok when the water was in the 40's. When the water reached the 30's I started using 2 pairs of wool glove liners bought from an Army Navy store. These are good, but I still have to work my fingers constantly to generate heat after about 45 minutes.

What are dry glove divers using for liners in the winter around here?

Last edited:
I have a question for all the neld winter divers. I made the switch this year to Si Tech Dry gloves. I love the gloves but my hands are still getting cold after about 45 minutes. The yellow fleece lines were ok when the water was in the 40's. When the water reached the 30's I started using 2 pairs of wool glove liners bought from an Army navy store. These are good, but I still have work my fingers constantly to generate heat after about 45 minutes.

I wear EMS, North Face, etc. fleece gloves. Whatever I can find that is both the right thickness and cheap. Ocean State Job Lot had a bunch of them this fall. I like the double layer type. You'll still get cold fingers eventually though.

In the end, my favorite thing for winter diving is my hotwater suit....

I use Thinsulate glove liners. The first pair I bought from my LDS and they are supplied by Sitech
Gloves
Since then I have found them at Canadian Tire (maybe not much help to you though) at less than half the price.

We need a thread --- What gloves are we using this year? I know this doesn't answer your question Paul.....I dive dry and have dry gloves but don't use them. I find them to be too cumbersome[?]. I have tried several wet/semidry types and am currently using 1.5mm Neosport X-Span under 5 mm XL Waterproof 5 finger w/zipper. I leave them unzipped because they won't zip over the drysuit sleeve but I have not found that to be a problem. They leak a little and I get a little puddle of water in my palm that stays there while I'm diving and sort of keeps my hands warm. So far [5 dives/below40* since I bought them in Jan.] I have not had cold hands but I make it a point to only do a 1/2 hour dive when I am by myself. The issue I have with winter gloves is donning/doffing during the dive for various reasons. I find these Waterproofs that have the zipper and reinforced "bite tabs" to be easy to get on and off when I need to. Bu the way, I go in and gear up in the water with only the X-spans on and can tolerate it quite well once they are saturated and my fingers adjust.

Last edited:
We need a thread --- What gloves are we using this year? I know this doesn't answer your question Paul.....I dive dry and have dry gloves but don't use them. I find them to be too cumbersome[?]. I have tried several wet/semidry types and am currently using 1.5mm Neosport X-Span under 5 mm XL Waterproof 5 finger w/zipper. I leave them unzipped because they won't zip over the drysuit sleeve but I have not found that to be a problem. They leak a little and I get a little puddle of water in my palm that stays there while I'm diving and sort of keeps my hands warm. So far [5 dives/below40* since I bought them in Jan.] I have not had cold hands but I make it a point to only do a 1/2 hour dive when I am by myself. The issue I have with winter gloves is donning/doffing during the dive for various reasons. I find these Waterproofs that have the zipper and reinforced "bite tabs" to be easy to get on and off when I need to. Bu the way, I go in and gear up in the water with only the X-spans on and can tolerate it quite well once they are saturated and my fingers adjust.

The Si Tech gloves are great, I don't see myself using anything but those any more. In the winter any. Before I got them I was using the XS Scuba Dry Fives and those are awesome gloves. I never had cold hands in those, problem was they were nearly impossible to don on my own.

Have a great dive Saturday Joe. I'm going Monday.

I use Thinsulate glove liners. The first pair I bought from my LDS and they are supplied by Sitech
Gloves
Since then I have found them at Canadian Tire (maybe not much help to you though) at less than half the price.

I didn't think the liners supplied with the gloves were all that warm. I guess I could try doubling them up.
I have family in Brockville, I'll have to check out Canadian Tire next time I'm up that way.

Before I got them I was using the XS Scuba Dry Fives and those are awesome gloves. I never had cold hands in those, problem was they were nearly impossible to don on my own.

I bought a pair of them before these Waterproof's and really was impressed with the fit and warmth, but I could only get the first glove on by myself. I needed help with the second one. The wrist is too tight and you can't get a grip with the other glove to pull them on. That's why I like the zipper. When the water gets a little warmer I'll put the dry gloves on. Have a good dive on Monday --- tomorrow the viz is going to be a little iffy with the forecast of a Nly wind.

Do you use a straw of some kind to let warm air in? I use my undergarment thumb loops past the seal.

I've started using some fleece liners since they seem to hold up better than the Thinsulate but Peter is absolutely right. If you are not getting any air into the glove it's going to make a pretty significant difference.

Do you use a straw of some kind to let warm air in? I use my undergarment thumb loops past the seal.

I lost one of the tubes within the first 3 dives. What a pain in the neck those were. I use my thumb loops now as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom