Under-glove recommendations for long cold dives with Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the comments - definitely a few different factors to think about here.

In terms of wrist seals, I run mine tight as I have quite prominent wrist tendons so when I switch to wet gloves my Sitech wrists leak easily when I clench my fist. Perhaps I should use a looser set when i'm diving dry gloves to allow bloodflow etc.

In terms of wrist warmers, I forgot to add that I also dive the Fourth element ones in this set up but I tend to use without the thumb through the hole - so the whole thing fits around the wrist and takes up the gap between the undergarment sleeve end and the seal (I have long arms). This area gets cold too but is tolerable.

In terms of general warmth, I dive the Santi 11mm hood which feels adequate, so I wouldn't think its a core temp issue.

In terms of the Santi heated gloves, I already dive the Santi heated vest with a 24Ah battery so I might give these a go given the success so many of you have had with them. My hesitance at going down the heated glove route till now has been based on a few things: battery life - didn't want to reduce my battery duration which already struggles on the 2nd 3hr dive of the day, so much so that i usually only turn it on for the last half of each dive. And secondly, bulkiness - but encouragingly it sounds like that isn't too much of an issue.

So, thank you I think I will try both options, Rab conventional gloves with a wool underliner first given the savings, and then perhaps the heated Santi gloves if needs be.

Does anybody know of an off-the-shelf inline e/o voltage regulator that could work with the Santi battery? I have the old system and the voltage drop is an issue.

In terms of wrist seals, I run mine tight as I have quite prominent wrist tendons so when I switch to wet gloves my Sitech wrists leak easily when I clench my fist. Perhaps I should use a looser set when i'm diving dry gloves to allow bloodflow etc.

Does anybody know of an off-the-shelf inline e/o voltage regulator that could work with the Santi battery? I have the old system and the voltage drop is an issue.
I have a similar set of valleys on the underside of my wrist and keep a no dry glove set of wrist seals and a dry glove set of wrist seals. The warmth difference is quite noticeable.

Fathom makes one as does Light Monkey. The fathom is slimmer and works via taps, the LM is larger and works via the switch on the canister.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom