Revive an old DUI TLS 350 (Zipper, Latex allergy) - need advices & tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Dremel Workstation. Mostly as a drill press or for milling - for repair work. Beside I just have a normal drill and a simple jigsaw... dreaming of more, lacking in budget and space.

Holding the suit with both hands is quite comfortable.

...work in progress... old zipper and wrist seals are trimmed. I removed with the heat of an normal hair dryer the latex neck seal. Just heat it properly and then I could peel it off. Due to the old latex it ripped into many peaces. On the neck I have to trim the uretane sealant with the Dremel aswell. When the cleaner arrives I can clean all remaining glue.
IMG_20240121_103102.jpg

And I made a decision: all glued neoprene seals, classic brass zipper (90cm chain length, 1cm more than original) Because I gonna use this dry suit just for occational rec diving. Therefore I need reliable and long living seals. Since I dive only rec anymore, I don't need a dry glove system - keeping it simple and robust. So neoprene seals for this specific usage seem to be the best and most cost effective option. Otherwise I would accord to the reccomendation Si Tech QCO with Rolock 90.

The glue I gonna use is polychloropren based and supplied by a german drysuit company ("Wassersportkleber HELASTOPAKT 2K"). I gonna use the hardener. It seems to be the same glue like in the youtube videos from "Dry Suit Projects".

I plan to not use any tape - direct Aquasure uretane seals like the original DUI production.

ahhh... one addition: I glued new insoles in the Rockboots. Got the insoles from new TUSA beach shoes (2 bucks from a sale some years ago, never used them). Glued with not too much Aquasure - insoles won't last forever.

Next week tasks: trimming the neck seal, cleaning remaining glue, preparing a ring for the neck seal attachement.

IMG_20240124_184556~2.jpg
repairing goods arrived... the neopren seals fit good, zipper is well sized, plenty of glue and Aquasure... but still some preparation work to do.

what are the cans? is that your seal glue?

what are the cans? is that your seal glue?
the 2 smaller cans are the glue, the small metal bottles are hardener and the can with the red cap is a dedicated cleaner. Beside the german brand it is pretty much the same as SC 4000 glue used in the dry suit project videos on YouTube.

Problem: still plenty of urethane sticks to the neck seal's glue area. Tomorrow I try the hair dryer to remove it. Hmmmm... hope that works. Cleaning takes so much time and patience...
IMG_20240125_184048.jpgIMG_20240125_184054.jpg

No chance of removing the urethane - I sanded it a bit.
IMG_20240126_151748~2.jpg

Okay, lets glue: cuff first. If I fail fatally, I can cut the sleeve and glue a Si Tech QCO. But it looks not too bad. Cleaning, 1st glue layer, dry for 30min, 2nd layer, bonding...
IMG_20240126_161435~2.jpg

so far so good... as last step I seal the edges with Aquasure to give a nice finish. Still in good mood and hope.
IMG_20240126_170118~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240126_164452.jpg
    IMG_20240126_164452.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 26
success :yeahbaby:zipper tomorrow ...
IMG_20240127_165427.jpgIMG_20240127_165720.jpg
Aquasure Urethane Sealant for the edges as last step after one week to let the glue fully dry.

okay... here comes the zipper
IMG_20240128_100131.jpgIMG_20240128_104148.jpg
Since the Zipper bends around the corner on the lower end, it is a pain to get it sticked even... I was so close to doom:
IMG_20240128_110815.jpg
I peeled that part apart, which was quity sticky, and added a new glue layer. After 5 minutes I sticket it even together, again. Looks now good. I hope the bond lasts..
IMG_20240128_112057.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom