Learning to Dive Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
As I wait for Seaskin build, I've been purchasing parts and pieces that I'll need including dry gloves, liners and p-valve accessories in anticipation of putting the suit to use as soon as it arrives. But does it make sense, if the water is not too cold, to not use the pee valve and the dry glove system and just focus on developing good buoyancy and then add these two elements later?

Also, these dry suit technical undergarments are extraordinarily expensive. And this is coming from a guy who has spent good money on quality stuff. I assume everyone carries spare undergarments with you in case of a leak, right? I'm trying to get a picture of what your garment selection looks like if it's still cold topside (spare undergarments, warm hat during SI, etc).

Fully dry every time with dry gloves. Fully plumbed every time. When you don't plumb is when you'll end up rushing to get out and tear a seal or damage your zipper.

Get the Seaskin base layer, they're inexpensive and quite comfy.

I keep a beanie in the back of my truck for before/after dives on the winter. During summer I'm running to the water to cool off once I get the zipper closed. And hurrying to get the suit off once I'm done.

Minor leaks you may not even notice until you take the suit off. I have frequently wet forearms (tendon channels), but they mostly dry during the SI.

I don't bother with spare undergarments. With a major leak that makes you significantly cold, you likely would skip the next dive anyway. A) you're cold and B) you should probably fix the leak before diving it in such conditions.

If water is 65+, I'll skip the dry gloves if runtime is under 90 mins. My last trip the wind-chill was below freezing. Knit hat, normal coat. Pulled the arms/top of the drysuit down around my waist as per normal. Hot soup between dives. A windproof boat coat or poncho can be useful.

ETA: p-valve always attached. It's just part of getting dressed for me.

What type of diving do you want to do? Do you sweat a lot? Do you dive in environments where it is hot and you sweat on the surface? Do you have the ability to wash/dry the undergarments in a reasonably fast manner? Are you okay with getting into the undergarments that aren't fully dry or smell?

I usually have two sets with me just in case. It is not cheap, but it works for me. I sweat a lot and after 2 days of back-to-back diving I need to do laundry or get a new undergarment set.

If you do not have a pee valve hooked up, go with a diaper so that you don't have to hold it it - bad for your kidneys. Get a pack of Maxi Pads, put a Maxi Pad into the adult diaper, so it is the first line of defense/absorption. If the pad saturates, the spillover goes into the diaper.

Why not keep things simple at first? Your first drysuit dives, as you're learning, will be short enough that you won't need a p-valve. If there's any question, then wearing an adult diaper will work.

I wouldn't worry about dry gloves, either, at first.

I never purchased spare drysuit underwear. I did, though, always take a spare set of polypro underlayer. (I was always able to return to shore after a day of diving.)

ETA: Cold water mitts or (wet) gloves, cold water wet hood, no p-valve, maybe an adult diaper, depending--simple gear as you're learning to dive your drysuit.

ETA2: Of course, I am assuming your drysuit is a self-donning model.

ETA3: Don't "cheap" on your drysuit underwear. Good underwear is resistant to loosing loft when pressure increases, and will keep you from getting too cold even if the drysuit leaks.

rx7diver

I use more common undergarments, layer with heavy wool, waffle fleece and heated vest, no need for dive specific stuff but it’s good stuff if you want to spend the $$.

I rarely carry a lot of spare undies, more like an extra layer but if I get a bad leak I just call the next dive.

In the context of multiple days diving, using the exact same underlayers without washing will become... undesirable. I mentioned I don't carry spare underlayers, but I do bring two swimsuits ("jammers") that take the brunt of the crotch sweat/odor. (The expensive underlayers go on top of those.) Hand wash today's jammers in the sink at night and use the other pair the following day.

My first dives will be in the spring next year: freshwater, with air temps in the 40-50 degree range and water temps in the 40's. Two shore dives a day at a lake that an hour north of me; working out of my vehicle; hauling gear to the staging point in a wagon. So missing a second dive wouldn't be a big deal if I got wet, but with as few dives as I get each year, every one I miss is significant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom