Review Seaskin Nova drysuit review - ladies' POV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent and useful review. I'm in the SF Bay area and just started looking for a new drysuit. I'm not thrilled w/my options. As someone who's a similar size to Vickasaurusrex, I do believe custom is the way to go and the Seaskin is looking more and more appealing.

There is one thing holding me back and Vickasaurusrex touched on it briefly. How do people get their Seaskins serviced w/o running down to Monterey? My preferred LDS will not even do a leak test on it.
I highly recommend working with Peninsula Dive Services in Marina. They provide above-and-beyond service, and pro-actively communicate with their customers. PDS is also one of the few places in NorCal that services Seaskins. If you want to avoid the long drive, they take drysuits by mail.

PDS is where I went when I was troubleshooting a leak. They helped to diagnose my faulty valve by providing pictures and videos of the investigation in real-time, and even offered to back me up if Seaskin pushed back on honoring the warranty (which, thankfully, never happened).

Overall, I'm very happy with my experiences with Peninsula Dive Services and Seaskin.

PDS is where I went when I was troubleshooting a leak. They helped to diagnose my faulty valve by providing pictures and videos of the investigation in real-time, and even offered to back me up if Seaskin pushed back on honoring the warranty (which, thankfully, never happened).
AFAIK, they never pushed back if you can show on some really basic level that the fault is not a user error.
IIRC, they will authorise whichever LDS you sent your suit to to do repair and bill them afterwards.

Go to a tailor and ask them to measure you. Print out the instructions on seaskins website and bring with you.

I'm wanting to do this - but how does that work? Tailors get paid for the alterations, not for the measurements. Should I call one up and ask them to measure me and offer them money to do it?

I'm wanting to do this - but how does that work? Tailors get paid for the alterations, not for the measurements. Should I call one up and ask them to measure me and offer them money to do it?
Ask what they will charge but it’s not difficult to have anyone do it following the guide they provide with the form, follow the form and give honest answers and the suit will fit.

Seaskin uses specific measurement criteria. Unless the tailor is willing to spend 20 minutes watching the videos and measuring you, it isn't worth it. Have your SO or a friend do it. I managed to measure myself pretty accurately when compared to having my wife do it.

Seaskin uses specific measurement criteria. Unless the tailor is willing to spend 20 minutes watching the videos and measuring you, it isn't worth it. Have your SO or a friend do it. I managed to measure myself pretty accurately when compared to having my wife do it.
So when you said have your SO do it, you ended up throwing out your SO's measurements for your own? :)

I already said it in another thread: take multiple measurements, best spread over a week.
Depending on your results and your own lifestyle, you can take the average, or biggest number. I would avoid taking the smallest number, it's easier to deal with slightly baggier suit (difference won't be big anyway) than with suit that might possibly restrict your movement. Whole idea of MTM is to have suit that is tailored for you, not to have second skin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom