Shearwater Teric NDL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClintoKL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, just got back from my first dive trip with my Teric and I found my No Deco time ultra aggressive. My camera dive case also has a dive computer built in (which matched my old Mares Puck pretty accurately). But vs the Teric, the Teric was at least 11 minutes more conservative and almost EVERY dive hit 5 on the no deco which put me into a 5 minute safety stop. And one dive I even hit the deco. I constantly found myself having to dive at a lower depth than the rest of the diving group to try and avoid the no deco alerts.
I was using OC Rec. Is there a way to adjust this to be less conservative or do I need to use Tec mode and make some kind of adjustment?

The conservatism can easily be adjusted, default is 40/85.
Did your other computer use a bubble model?

The conservatism can easily be adjusted, default is 40/85.
Did your other computer use a bubble model?
Well the Mares Puck was using RBGM. So I'm assuming the camera housing was running same as they were very similar. I'm just a recreational diver so I'm not over all the different algo's. I was just very surprised at how ultra conservative it was vs my old Mares. Most of the other divers including the DM's were using Suunto's and the ndl difference was more than 10 minutes. I'm all for safety but having to be 5 or more metres above everyone else in lower viz wouldn't have been great.

That's pretty much the difference between bubble and saturation model summed up. Bubble model allows more "aggressive" ascents, which is advantageous for rec divers, not so much for actual deco dives.
Different GFs could make sense for you, i left it at 40/85 since my dives have a shallow ascent anyways.
The cool thing about SW is that you can freely adjust the GFs and won't get punished/locked out if you don't strictly adhere to it.

Well the Mares Puck was using RBGM. So I'm assuming the camera housing was running same as they were very similar. I'm just a recreational diver so I'm not over all the different algo's. I was just very surprised at how ultra conservative it was vs my old Mares. Most of the other divers including the DM's were using Suunto's and the ndl difference was more than 10 minutes. I'm all for safety but having to be 5 or more metres above everyone else in lower viz wouldn't have been great.

Your Teric is either set to a ridiculous conservatism level, wrong mix, or it needs a new pressure sensor. (Ignore the French guy, he has no clue what he's talking about.)

One way to check is to download the log and look at the profiles. If the depths don't match your other computer, it's the pressure sensor.

Your experience is unusual. I have a Perdix, standard conservatism and I used a Suunto backup set to P0 (similar model to Mares). On dive 1 I’d find NDL very close between the two computers but usually higher on fhe Perdix, dive 2 the Suunto would show less NDL, sometimes quite a bit but not down to single digits and certainly not prompting deco. The Teric being more conservative than the Mares is strange. Was the Teric new? If so it would be set to standard (medium) conservatism. If used, maybe the previous owner had it set very conservative?

OP didn't mention it's second hand, so it's extremely unlikely it's set to anything else than air 40/85 or the sensor is faulty

There is an entire thread on faulty terics over there -->, "extremely unlikely" is an exaggeration.

Bubble models' "aggressive ascents" refer to decompression schedules and very specific value of "aggressive". They're completely irrelevant for no-stop dives.

There is an entire thread on faulty terics over there -->, "extremely unlikely" is an exaggeration.
Hyperbole. Very few mentions of faulty pressure sensors in that thread.

Hyperbole. Very few mentions of faulty pressure sensors in that thread.
Here is the general Teric repair/replacement thread. @tursiops is correct, depth sensor is not one of the more frequent reasons cited for servicing the computer

There was a separate thread regarding specific reasons for obtaining service, it really never caught on and does not have many votes in the poll. There were 5 votes for the depth sensor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom