Diving Shearwater with a Suunto buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Doobie Do

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I both dive Suunto zoop novo, as does my other occasional dive buddy. We’re primarily warm weather travel divers (now with Nitrox), though I could see myself interested in tech diving later in life.

I’ve got the itch to upgrade to air integration, because I’m a data nerd and apparently love spending my money. I’m all but ready to buy a Teric, but I realize this could cause compatibility issues with my buddies algos.

What are the real downsides to me upgrading to a Teric while my dive buddies stay with Suunto? Will this matter much during rec dives, as long as I don’t mind diving their profiles?

Is my zoop novo essentially a paper weight or gauge/bottom timer? Is it useless as a backup to a Shearwater?

I’m curious to hear people’s thoughts on this, as I’m starting to wonder if upgrading is a waste of money without also upgrading the wife…I don’t think she’s interested in upgrading enough to let me spend money upgrading her too.

With the Shearwater -- unless you have it set very weirdly -- your dives will be controlled by your Suunto friends, especially on repetitive dives. That also suggests that using your Suunto as a backup won't work well...it will be controlling your dive.

With the Shearwater -- unless you have it set very weirdly -- your dives will be controlled by your Suunto friends, especially on repetitive dives. That also suggests that using your Suunto as a backup won't work well...it will be controlling your dive.
On my last dive it was the Gekko that wanted 8 min deco not the Black (which was clear), but I was diving with a rebreather buddy.

I wouldn't spend the money and here's some thoughts.....

Been diving Suunto ZOOP Novo's for several years now all over the world. On Nitrox you'll get more than enough bottom time down to 40M / 130'on multiple repetitive dives however many days diving on any trip.

Anyone running their no-deco time down to low minutes or into deco on a "sport dive" is taking risks in my humble opinion. I regularly read about people worrying about "locking their computer out" without acknowledging THEY chose to do something ridiculously risky in their diving protocols.

You can put in more conservatism to any computer if tired, hung over, dehydrated, male / female, out of shape, etc. too........

How about learning your computer and what it's advising?

How about just enjoying yourself, dive rested and fit and don't push limits since that fancy thing on your wrist or wherever is simply crunching numbers?

So my advice would be save your $$$$ and just go travel :)

David Haas

PS - I choose to use wrist mounted dive computers and simple SPGs with braided HP hose, short 21" routed OVER my shoulder bungied to my BCD inflator hose like a fireman's SCBA.

I gave up routing hoses under my arms ages ago. Never understood why the diving community hasn't worked on that but that's just my choice.

I take spare compete SPGs and dive two ZOOP Novo (we have 4 in the family) and they've worked from Red Sea to Caribbean to a recent 28 back to back dives in Raja Ampat Indonesia. Never hit deco or locked myself out. I get usually 2-3 hour surface interval between most dives and after years diving the previous ZOOP all over the world "think" the NOVO algorithm is a bit more liberal.

On my Raja AMpat trip the two cruise directors well into over 10,000 dives were still using SUUNTO. The one lady dived I think it was na original SUUNTO Core (and old White Gekko !!!!) It had over 3,000 dives on it she estimated. So I guess I'm biased by what I see being used at ocean diving places is all.

Also, everyone obsesses over algorithms......Really?

How many people are doing deco, multi-gas switching dives, etc. on recreational trips?

All the computer deco theory compared to physical condition of the typical traveling diver I think is a "measurbation discussion." I don't see many Navy SEAL types going "sport diving" and in fact the opposite (!!!!!!)

Sometimes I'm amazed people make it through the dive and you can't buy your way out of the fact it's still a physical activity.....

My recommendation is take better care of yourself, work out regularly including cardio which is way more important for swimming with gear on in the ocean.

Just go dive and enjoy yourself!

Signed,

Old guy diver (55 years diving just turned 70 this year!)

DaveyUWselfiePhilippinesSept2018.jpg

On my last dive it was the Gekko that wanted 8 min deco not the Black (which was clear), but I was diving with a rebreather buddy.
Good point. It is the Suunto algorithm that keeps you out of the water, not the computer brand.

If your wife isn’t ready for a change than I would recommend staying with what ya got. The Zoop will control the dive, you will want that information. The Teric will just be giving you more information, but you will likely have both and spend more time watching the Zoop. Maybe not at first because the Teric will be a new tool. But that will fade.

If you dive with other groups without your wife than I would upgrade, but keep the Zoop for diving with wife. I have a Perdix and Vyper Novo and diving both provides conflicting information. So, the Vyper is for sale. My wife doesn’t dive and I dive with several different buddies.

I don’t mind my dive being controlled by my wife’s algo for now. I mainly want to upgrade to AI, and I like the design of the Teric. I could probably convince her to upgrade eventually to the tern or tern TX if we dive more often…but it sounds like keeping my zoop might be useless?

Back
Top Bottom