Diving Shearwater with a Suunto buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't spend the money and here's some thoughts.....

Been diving Suunto ZOOP Novo's for several years now all over the world. On Nitrox you'll get more than enough bottom time down to 40M / 130'on multiple repetitive dives however many days diving on any trip.

Anyone running their no-deco time down to low minutes or into deco on a "sport dive" is taking risks in my humble opinion. I regularly read about people worrying about "locking their computer out" without acknowledging THEY chose to do something ridiculously risky in their diving protocols.

You can put in more conservatism to any computer if tired, hung over, dehydrated, male / female, out of shape, etc. too........

How about learning your computer and what it's advising?

How about just enjoying yourself, dive rested and fit and don't push limits since that fancy thing on your wrist or wherever is simply crunching numbers?

So my advice would be save your $$$$ and just go travel :)

David Haas

PS - I choose to use wrist mounted dive computers and simple SPGs with braided HP hose, short 21" routed OVER my shoulder bungled to my BCD inflator hose like a fireman's SCBA.

I gave up routing hoses under my arms ages ago. Never understood why the diving community hasn't worked on that but that's just my choice.

I take spare compete SPGs and dive two ZOOP Novo (we have 4 in the family) and they've worked from Red Sea to Caribbean to a recent 28 back to back dives in Raja Ampat Indonesia.

Also, everyone obsesses over algorithms......Really? How many people are doing deco, multi-gas switching dives, etc. on recreational trips?

All the computer deco theory compared to physical condition of the typical traveling diver I think is a "measurbation discussion." I don't see many Navy SEAL types going "sport diving" and in fact the opposite.

Sometimes I'm amazed people make it through the dive and you can't buy your way out of the fact it's a physical activity.....

My recommendation is take better care of yourself, work out regularly including cardio which is way more important for swimming with gear on in the ocean. Just go dive and enjoy yourself!

Signed,

Old guy diver (55 years this year!)

View attachment 818489
Thanks for your reply. This is all fantastic info for people. To be honest, I probably benefit from the conservative nature of the zoop.

My main reason to upgrade is that I want AI. I would like to monitor my air without moving around as much, and I’d love to track consumption rate throughout the dive. I also love the crispness that an AMOLED screen can offer.

There may be a time down the road when I do tech classes in a quarry and my wife stays behind, but it’ll mostly just be used on vacations with her. I have no real interest in the liberal algorithm the Shearwater offers, and I don’t mind diving to my wife’s computers’ limits while with her…

But does this make the upgrade silly? Is my zoop useless to keep, if I go ahead and get a Teric?

Or you could upgrade both you and your wife's computers with a pair of the new Terns from Shearwater.

I’m very close to going Tern TX…it’s honestly the best thing for me. I likely will never use the tech features, even though I’d maybe like to eventually.

To me, however, the benefits of the Teric appear to cover the price differential. I’d love feedback if people have other thoughts here:

Teric:
Sapphire > hardened glass
50% better battery life (30hr vs 20hr)
Journey edition bronze looks awesome
Could do tech if I wanted it to

Tern TX:
Saves me 275ish?

My spouse and I dove Shearwater (Petrel, et al) / Suunto (Cobra AI) for years. I was doing some deco diving and she really liked not having something on her wrist. We never had an issue with significantly different profiles. A while back she finally decided something on her wrist was not so bad and with Perdix AI she is a happy diver. We both like the larger screen's of the Perdix.

As such, buy what you want. But be forewarned, when I got a Perdix AI before I used it I let my wife try it out. I have never used that computer and had to buy one for myself.

I’m curious to hear people’s thoughts on this, as I’m starting to wonder if upgrading is a waste of money without also upgrading the wife…
Before answering, we really need to know how old the current wife is, condition, temperament, and what the upgrade options are.

Or you could upgrade both you and your wife's computers with a pair of the new Terns from Shearwater.
Didn’t the OP say that he wanted to go tech at some point?

Didn’t the OP say that he wanted to go tech at some point?
You can do some tech with the Tern...just not Trimix or CC.. It works to 120m and allows three gasses. It has "full decompression support."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom