Backup computer for when your main fails while in diving trip ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackdog017

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
My wife and I dive recreationally, lately we do mostly LOB.
Her main computer is a Perdix, and she gave me a Perdix 2 for Christmas.

We are currently on a LOB in the Red Sea, and my wife's Perdix died on the very first dive. One of the push buttons failed, fell off and the computer flooded.

Fortunately we also brought our old Suunto Vyper, and she's now using that. Last trip it bailed me out when my Eon Core started doing strange things.

But the Vyper is getting old and may not be too reliable.

My wife's Perdix will obviously get fixed, but we're thinking about getting a new computer to carry as a backup of the main ones if there are surprises.

We were thinking a Peregrine would be a good option. Do you think it makes sense ? Any others you would recommend ? Should we just go for an inexpensive Zoop or Vyper Novo and save the money ?

Thanks for your feedback.

I always dive with 2 identical computers. My wife and a dive buddy who dives with us use the same model. If one of mine fails I'm good. If one of theirs fails, probably good enough to hand off one of mine. Don't bother telling me about non-identical profiles. I know that.

I second @BRT 's thinking: If you really like the Perdix, just get another Perdix. I have been meaning to do exactly that for my wife and me, as we love our Petrels (essentially same as Perdix). They are familiar and comfortable to us. But yeah, the cost :(

Hello,
My wife and I dive recreationally, lately we do mostly LOB.
Her main computer is a Perdix, and she gave me a Perdix 2 for Christmas.

We are currently on a LOB in the Red Sea, and my wife's Perdix died on the very first dive. One of the push buttons failed, fell off and the computer flooded.

Fortunately we also brought our old Suunto Vyper, and she's now using that. Last trip it bailed me out when my Eon Core started doing strange things.

But the Vyper is getting old and may not be too reliable.

My wife's Perdix will obviously get fixed, but we're thinking about getting a new computer to carry as a backup of the main ones if there are surprises.

We were thinking a Peregrine would be a good option. Do you think it makes sense ? Any others you would recommend ? Should we just go for an inexpensive Zoop or Vyper Novo and save the money ?

Thanks for your feedback.
I use the Peregrine as my backup - very satisfied.

I use a Predator as my main computer and a Uwatec bottom timer as backup.
A bottom timer won't do it for us on all multi-level dives. At least just get a cheap puck and carry it with you.

Peregrine is a great backup for recreational diving if you're not using the AI features of the Perdix. Even if you are normally using AI with your Perdix, it's a great choice if you are willing to temporarily forego AI if the Perdix dies (and you keep an SPG+hose in the Save A Dive kit). That second computer is cheap insurance against missing dives on an expensive LOB trip.

I agree that you should have the same computer as the backup, and you should have both of them on every dive with you so that if one goes out, the other is ready to go.

I use a Predator as my main computer and a Uwatec bottom timer as backup.
I agree with BRT on this. A bottom timer is not a computer, and it cannot be used as such.

Back
Top Bottom