Dive Computer advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's all relative.
All these computers will lock you out, regardless of how much deco you missed.
Why would you be in danger if a computer with GF of 20/60 locks you out for 1 minute of skipped deco? While you could be clear doing the same dive on GF 30/70, hell you could even be NDL the whole dive.
I prefer to make my own decisions regarding my safety.
What ARE the GFs used by computers that have a lockout feature? Some aren't Buhlmann, so who knows. Regardless, these computers generally allow a diver to set a conservatism level. If a diver sets conservatism to high and then does not dive so conservatively and messes up a deco stop and gets locked out, I would say that should be no surprise to the diver. That diver has made their own decision regarding their safety, just as you do with a computer not having a lockout feature.

Can recomment the Mares puck pro, it does everyting one really needs, incl. nitrox and altitude, and costs under 200 USD, sometimes 150USD only.
I also started with tables, got a computer when started diving again in 2018, and sometimes do deco diving up to nearly 60m with it. Works perfectly. One button, intuitive, easy to read, conservative which is fine, am getting older.
My buddies usually have computers for at least 3x the price, and hardly ever any significant difference in deco stops. I am not into gadgets so I am very happy with mine and see no need to change it and get anything more expensive.

That's all relative.
All these computers will lock you out, regardless of how much deco you missed.
Why would you be in danger if a computer with GF of 20/60 locks you out for 1 minute of skipped deco?

Yes: if you actually understood what you're doing (*), you've set you GFs to 20/60 for a reason. That reason is why you should sit the next 24 hours out.

*) Well, if you really did, you wouldn't have set your GF Hi below 75 and Lo: below 55, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Would not knowingly purchase a dive computer that "locks out" for violating it's expressed "limits".

Like "doctor's orders", I consider them advice to be listened to, understood, considered, and either followed or disregarded depending on the situation.

Same as the Boeing vs. Airbust discussion.
Didn't know it when I bought it...

Didn't know it when I bought it...
Me either when I bought my D6 Novo - first dive computer with exactly zero dives under my belt (well I had the 4 so-called "dives" that I did for OW), just a few weeks before I trasped off to AKR on Roatan. I chose Suunto as I had used their compasii (compasses?) for years in land nav and liked them a lot without knowing diddly-crap about any dive computer.

Fortunately for me, the D6 had defective button interface out of the box that I found out about when I got around to seriously trying to figure out the computer about a week before the trip. Suunto only offered for me to send it back and then in a few weeks, they might get around to looking at it and fixing it or sending me a used replacement in exchange for my factory-new, straight-out-of-the-box replacement (that turned me off of Suunto for anything). No other option that would get me any computer prior to my trip. Fortunately, LeisurePro took it back for full refund and I went to Scuba Adventures in Plano and got a SW Perdix AI for the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom