Sealife Camera for 13yr Old & Black Friday Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aalbert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
From what I see the Micro 2.0 would be a good camera for a 13yr old who has recently gotten into diving. That said I welcome other suggestion in the same price range ($500-600), even if from another vendor. At this point I will hold off on a strobe, until he obviously shows interest in lugging the whole rig around under water.

So are there any other suggestions, and is anybody aware of Black Friday deals - I looked on B&H/Amazon, and don't see anything different going on.

Olympus Tg-5 wouldn't be a bad alternative in roughly the same price category and probably would be more useful for picture taking when not under water.

Being that the diver is 13 and depth limited, you probably could go without a housing for a period of time too as the camera is rated to 50 feet without a housing.

13yr old who has recently gotten into diving
Diving can be dangerous, and I would not want to see a 13 year old distracted by a camera. I would not suggest one for anyone for the first hundred dives.

Diving can be dangerous, and I would not want to see a 13 year old distracted by a camera. I would not suggest one for anyone for the first hundred dives.

You bring up a good point. Though he shoots Olympic style rifle, and other advanced stuff, he is still just a kid. I will have to think how I was at age 13/14 when I first got into diving, and consider what would be safe... He currently has a dozen dives under his belt, so this might be a bit soon.

I'd go for a GoPro knock-off myself. If he doesn't like it and/or can't manage it without getting too distracted from his air and depth and buddy, they're only fifty bucks or so.

May be a bit soon to carry a full rig but he certainly can use a camera now and then and during part of a dive. You should be the best judge of your son's capabilities but as a general rule camera rigs and new divers are not a good mix. My young son enjoyed borrowing my micro 2 (with a mini tray and light) during a dive to explore and enjoy photographing marine life and marine scapes. In calm clear easy conditions I did not have an issue with him using a camera and it increased his interest and enjoyment of diving.

I'd go for a GoPro knock-off myself. If he doesn't like it and/or can't manage it without getting too distracted from his air and depth and buddy, they're only fifty bucks or so.

Apeman (yes, that's the brand!) GoPro knockoff from Amazon. Has tons of accessories for attaching it (not sure if these would work underwater). Housing good to 130ft (40meters). Pretty good camera for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/APEMAN-Under...42844555&sr=8-3&keywords=apeman+action+camera

The kid could get a wrist mount for the camera, turn it on before he splashes, and just leave it running the entire dive. Easiest way to get video without it being a distraction.

Yup. I'd go that route first. If It doesn't get lost or broken...maybe upgrade to a nicer setup the next birthday, Christmas, etc.

I will have to think how I was at age 13/14
Yes, well, when I was that age, I was driving a bob-tail truck across county lines, loading my own cattle, etc. - but I wouldn't let my 22 year old grandson use my car for anything. His mother does, and that's her call. I do still pay for her AAA towing. Anyway, he's your son, you know him better than anyone, but I had to offer my suggestion.

All kids are different, only you can judge how your kid will handle the cituation.

I let my son ride a realy hot snowmobile when he was 16, that I definitly not would let him ride if he was anything like I was at that age :)

That aside, I think, if he like the idea of taking photos under water, and you think he can handle it. a second hand compact with housing is much better than a action cam. more possibilites to make good pictures, and also good videos.

I bought a Compact, with housing, tray and strobe, for about the price of a half deacent gopro. I started to only use the camera (and housing), have it in my pocket on every dive, then when time is right and focus can be put on photos, use the tray and strobe.

Back
Top Bottom