Gopro or go different...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with Hero3, loved it, but battery life and lack of stabilisation were an issue. It was hard to get stable underwater video. A little glitchy too. Hero5 was a big step up. It just worked on the whole. Hero7 was a step up again and the most reliable. Just got a Hero11, but haven't used it underwater yet.

The main issue was people were hand holding their Go Pros. I put mine on a tray and get really stable video.

CAMERA PLATFORM.jpg

It won't fog up if you don't use the osmo in the water without a case before putting in in the case. I have never had my Osmo overheat. I leave it on all dive but usually only take under 10 min videos at a time... Over 100 dives with the Osmo, I had it freeze up once but was able to restart it under water.

It won't fog up if you don't use the osmo in the water without a case before putting in in the case. I have never had my Osmo overheat. I leave it on all dive but usually only take under 10 min videos at a time... Over 100 dives with the Osmo, I had it freeze up once but was able to restart it under water.
Hello @Fisshy,

That's a nice recipe for a certain dive profile:

(A) Depth within the OSMO ACTION 3 non-case rating;
(B) Recording time of approximately 10 minutes;
(C) Using direct water cooling.

You are having no problems.

My dive profiles are a bit different than that, so my recipe is:

(D) Depths closer to the OSMO ACTION 3 rating, or just unwilling to expose to salt water;
(E) Of approximately 45 minutes (or more, the battery quits at about 53 minutes right now);
(F) Using indirect water cooling (i.e. fresh water flooded case).

I am having no problems.

When you start running your rig at depth for longer periods of time we can talk along the same basis of comparison.

I never got the camera wet, but I dive where the humidity is typically 99%+.

Perhaps if I load the camera into the case in the hotel room I may have better results, but I am happy with my results now.

Using my method, I have 1ATM pressure in the case, no fogging, no overheating. No problems.

For shallower stuff and snorkeling, I might try your recipe and see.

If I ever do, I'll report back.

g.
----

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom