Question Building a SeaLife “System”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green Frog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, I’m done diving for ‘23 and am thinking about what I want to do for ‘24 and beyond, Lord willing. I am now 74 y.o. and figure I have a few tropical or semitropical dive trips left in me.

I’ve mentioned here previously that in my “film camera days” my travel rig was a bulletproof Nikonos II (look it up in your history books!) with a custom made aluminum arm on a modified aluminum carrier tray, lighted with a tiny Sea&Sea YS-20. For more serious work, I sometimes carried a Nikonos V with one of several larger strobes and did close-ups with an aftermarket add on lens. Also, I had a 28mm and an 80mm Nikonos lens with sport finders in my bag as needed. I got a lot of good pictures with the N II rig and some outstanding stuff when I got serious with the N V.

Now I’m old and all of my future dives will be what I used to regard as strictly “casual”. I plan to use a digital system based on the SeaLife Micro 3.0 as my final photo rig. I have the camera and gave it a thorough test cruise in Nassau in June (see my previous posts) and now am looking to expand my horizons for what will be the last time.

I find the Dragon Lights from SL way too expensive for what they are and plan to use one of the Suptig or SeaFrog box type video lights instead. I found one of the vendors (whose name I can’t recall at the moment) makes a small, fold over tray and arm of plastic that weighs virtually nothing and that when folded occupies next to no space. This will comprise my basic rig. I used to like to get closeups of the little guys, so I may add the SL closeup lens but unless some unforeseen opportunities arise in the limited diving time I have left, this will be my final rig. I’ll try to post a picture of my old Nik II rig, and as it comes in, my SeaLife rig.

Meanwhile, has anyone trod this path (or more appropriately, swum this current) before? Am I tilting at propellers? What think ye? Thanks for listening to the ramblings of an old man. 🧙🏻‍♂️🤿

Regards,
Green Frog 🐸

C’mon guys. I’ve had 66 hits so far but no replies yet. I just know somebody out there besides me is using one of these popular little cameras. Hasn’t anybody beside me wanted to break out of “the Dragon’s Lair? Let’s see some give instead of all take!
Does anyone recognize the folding plastic arm and tray I mentioned? I looked all day and a BTO sang, I “ain’t seen nothin’ yet”!
🐸

G F, I know the feeling. My Nikonos V still in great working condition, but I am compelled to update to a GoPro HERO 8 or 10. …good to about 33’ & more with special housing. Most of my dives will most likely be in <30’ range but who knows. Lots to see past 30’. And yes there are a few who still develop the 35 mm film.

giantfroginthepool

C’mon guys. I’ve had 66 hits so far but no replies yet. I just know somebody out there besides me is using one of these popular little cameras. Hasn’t anybody beside me wanted to break out of “the Dragon’s Lair? Let’s see some give instead of all take!
Does anyone recognize the folding plastic arm and tray I mentioned? I looked all day and a BTO sang, I “ain’t seen nothin’ yet”!
🐸
…mine has got the strobe on the arm and a macro frame….how I got started diving doubles.😀

I use a sealife dc2000 but am in the process of switching to the SL SportDiver case with a phone for the camera.

using the SL “tray” and arm and buying a SL to ball adaptor opens up the light options, Orca Torch D530 v or 710 v are good options, good flood without hot spots.

I saw a new friend and his lovely daughter lose all the pictures from their trip when their “waterproof case” for an iPhone wasn’t. Scratch that as an option for photo work!
Go Pros do have a certain utility, but I’m partial to still photography with a little (occasional) video work. As I understand it, the Go Pro is pretty much all video and if you want a still shot, you have to “capture” it out of the video you’ve already shot, right?
There are and have been a few reasonably good UW digital cameras, but I especially like the SeaLife Micro 3.0 because it is completely sealed. Other than remembering to dry the connector to recharge the internal battery, there’s really very little to go wrong. In fact, the main dislike I have is the lack of an optical strobe connector like some of the old Sea & Sea film cameras and others used to have. Some people get irritated by the omnipresence of a video light, and some of the fish don’t like it either!

The foregoing is JMHO, and as always, YMMV!
🐸

I saw a new friend and his lovely daughter lose all the pictures from their trip when their “waterproof case” for an iPhone wasn’t. Scratch that as an option for photo work!
Go Pros do have a certain utility, but I’m partial to still photography with a little (occasional) video work. As I understand it, the Go Pro is pretty much all video and if you want a still shot, you have to “capture” it out of the video you’ve already shot, right?
There are and have been a few reasonably good UW digital cameras, but I especially like the SeaLife Micro 3.0 because it is completely sealed. Other than remembering to dry the connector to recharge the internal battery, there’s really very little to go wrong. In fact, the main dislike I have is the lack of an optical strobe connector like some of the old Sea & Sea film cameras and others used to have. Some people get irritated by the omnipresence of a video light, and some of the fish don’t like it either!

The foregoing is JMHO, and as always, YMMV!
🐸
…not a problem G F. Rob & Barb keep me posted w/GoPro info. It does have settings and according to some info I have seen there are some peripherals to accommodate offset strobe lighting. I believe it also depends on the ‘Model‘ . Pricier ones have better settings.
giantfroginthepool

my daughter and i both have the dc1400 cameras, sea dragon and strobe setups. we both have the fish eye lenses . the flexible arms are very handy. my wife has a sealife micro 2.0 and had one dragon light . she upgraded to the twin tray with 2 dragon lights. she up graded to the micro 3.0 and uses the twin dragon set up. i just bought two sea dragon lights off ebay for 150 each, new in the box display models with battery, charger and power adapters, check ebay for some deals. i did pick up a 3rd dc 1400 housing and camera last year for around 200. also if any one has a sealife micro 2.0 there is a downloadable software upgrade for the camera. free!

my daughter and i both have the dc1400 cameras, sea dragon and strobe setups. we both have the fish eye lenses . the flexible arms are very handy. my wife has a sealife micro 2.0 and had one dragon light . she upgraded to the twin tray with 2 dragon lights. she up graded to the micro 3.0 and uses the twin dragon set up. i just bought two sea dragon lights off ebay for 150 each, new in the box display models with battery, charger and power adapters, check ebay for some deals. i did pick up a 3rd dc 1400 housing and camera last year for around 200. also if any one has a sealife micro 2.0 there is a downloadable software upgrade for the camera. free!
there is one now on ebay for around 200.

I am NOT a fan of using a video light for u/W photography. There is not enough light except for macro, and then it is too much for the critters you are photographing.

Back
Top Bottom