Sealife Camera for 13yr Old & Black Friday Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magnus - what type of compact did you end up with.

Looking at the rest of the Sealife product portfolio, what are the thoughts on the Reefmaster 4k?

Still evaluating my son -- like everybody points, each kid is different.. When I talked to him about it, he still seemed hip to get one.

From what I see the Micro 2.0 would be a good camera for a 13yr old who has recently gotten into diving. That said I welcome other suggestion in the same price range ($500-600), even if from another vendor. At this point I will hold off on a strobe, until he obviously shows interest in lugging the whole rig around under water.

So are there any other suggestions, and is anybody aware of Black Friday deals - I looked on B&H/Amazon, and don't see anything different going on.

I'm not a good photographer, but I used to have a Sealife micro 2.0, and I think it would be a good choice for your son. First of all, it is sealed so no worries about a housing. Secondly, it is basically point and shoot. I never used lights with it, and it took some decent photos, which I spiffed up using vivid-pix.
Also, the camera is small, so it is easy to manage on a dive and is not much of a distraction, no fooling with settings necessary.

The 32 GB version will store a lot of photos, don't need the 64 GB model.

I upgraded from a go pro to a sealife. I like the sea life and the one button video is nice, but it does not zoom in or out. I don't know much about the TG5 but have heard great things. Cannon makes an underwater camera, S80 ????, that I saw on a dive boat and was impressed. I think it is rated for 80 feet, but She had taken it to 120 regularly. Her pics and videos were amazing. Keep in mind, I'm not a photographer or even an enthusiast. We just got the camera to remember our dives.

I believe the modern go pros have screens so you can see what you are filming, that was the main thing I did not like about our GP4.

As far as task loading for a new diver, that's a real issue, but my guess is he is diving with you so frequent air checks and close contact can be managed. For low vis diving, leave the camera at home.

Happy Thanksgiving ,
Jay

I would start by thinking if he is ok with the distraction created by a camera. A pole mounted GoPro or a knock offwould be easy to handle. I just start mine in at the beginning of the dive and let it run. If I need both hands I let it dangle.

My guess is he will mostly want little snips for social media and cheapies are fine for that. Another thing about buying low end, you never want an inexperienced diver in the position of risking their lives to save an expensive bit of gear. A $600 camera and tray is a lot to pay attention to, especially if things start heading south. He will be better served if he knows the camera is cheap to replace and making it to shore is job one.

Will the sealife export pictures as raw files?

DC2000 will, I don't think any others do (ICBW).

I recently learned that here in .wi.us a 12-yo can go hunting alone. A 10-yo needs adult supervision, but at 12 they're OK to take a loaded gun and walk around shooting things. But apparently diving with a camera is "too dangerous". Mind boggles.

DC2000 will, I don't think any others do (ICBW).

Being able to shoot in raw is definitely a nice feature, especially as one gets more in to photography.

When I was camera shopping, I picked up a Nikon W300 because it was waterproof to 100 feet. It takes great pictures, etc, but it doesn't shoot in raw.

If I was buying again, I'd spend roughly the same amount of money and get an Olympus TG5 instead. Limited to 50 feet without a housing which is annoying, but a housing is available for when someone's going deeper.

It's not the Micro's target use though. The point of it is point-and-shoot w/ no extras needed.

I only used a borrowed old Micro on one trip after flooded my DC1400 so I can't comment on the current model. I can comment on SeaLife's customer support though: it's great. Ten stars.

It's not the Micro's target use though. The point of it is point-and-shoot w/ no extras needed.

I only used a borrowed old Micro on one trip after flooded my DC1400 so I can't comment on the current model. I can comment on SeaLife's customer support though: it's great. Ten stars.
Yes, but if you can get the capability for the same price, why not?

Yes, but if you can get the capability for the same price, why not?

Yes, if I could have a personal 24/7/365 limo service for the same price as kia micra I'd take it, but for some strange reason that never happens in real life. You said yourself you have to buy a housing for TG5 to go below 15 metres.

Back
Top Bottom