Scubapro Vs Mares kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The two regulators are completely different.
If you dive cold water go for the MK17. The Mares set you indicate is a workhorse and basically a warm water regulator but there is a substantial price difference between the two sets.
If you only go tropical maybe get a better second stage for the MR12 or downgrade the MK17 to something cheaper

You can outfit a very capable diver using ether brand. Scubapro was the best brand, hands down, 30 years ago. All brands have improved since then, and Scubapro is now one of many good brands.

Scubapro retains a premium reputation in the marketplace and folks pay more for it. It is often priced 50-100% more than other brands. Scubapro also has good resale value, if you should decide to sell.

If the difference in price is just a little bit, then lucky you, get Scubapro. It may pay off well if you want to sell later.

well scubapro is abit more expencive but id rather go for a better product for abit of more money.

Then you would need at least a cold water kit for the MR12 and a Proton Ice or an Abyss that work better in cold water. I would not trust the rover
You should get at least an S555 or better an S600
See if you can find a G250 on ebay that would be excellent value

should i dive them a service before i dive after buying them? thanks.

interceptor 121.... i do dive in cold water... but is the mk17 r395 GOOD REG?
The Mk 17 is a superb first stage and the R395 is an ok second stage but is limited by its unbalanced design. The suggestion above to just get a Mk 17 R395 and then get a used Scubapro G250 off e-bay to use as the primary is a good one. A used G250 won't cost you more than $75-100 and even if you add $50 for a freesh service, it will still be cheaper than an R295 octo and a lot cheaper than a new G250V but with identical performance.

So...if money is not critical just get a Mk 17 G250V with an R295 octo, and if money is limited, get the Mk 17 R395 and a used G250. The R395 with the flow vave, makes a better octo anyway.

should i dive them a service before i dive after buying them? thanks.

Buy the Mk17-R395 and get the G250 on ebay then have it set up with the R395 as Octo by a shop so that the inhalation effort is 1.4" or 1.5" so that you don't get freeflow in very cold water

I JUST asked them to adjust the regs to 1.1-1.2'' of water and they said we only sell them!!!!

Then I'd be a bit curious about that shop. I would ask them about how they handle servicing gear. Some shops do not have a tech on staff, they send their service items to another location. No matter whether you follow a manufacturer's recommendation to have your gear serviced yearly or not (and this topic has been debated to death on this forum) and some point it is likely that some piece of gear will need to be adjusted or fixed. If this shop can't handle that I would think about finding another shop.

Back
Top Bottom