How do folks navigate buying scuba equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where did they go out of business chief

Where did they go out of business chief

Their app server is offline, and their support hasn’t been responsive. Unless you sideload the Subsurface Mobile .apk on an Android phone or install Subsurface on a laptop running Linux(and with a Bluetooth LE complaint adapter), you can’t grab your dives off it.

To the OP: Curious...what did you end up doing? Buying a new regulator or are you renting?

With a simple BP/W and DGX or Deep6 regs, you can get set up with equipment that will take you all the way to advanced technical diving for a fraction of the cost of retail recreational dive equipment from an LDS. You'll have equipment that is bullet proof, modular, and easily configurable, with simple to replace, generic parts in the unlikely case you need to switch something out. Mailing regs out for service to DGX is actually faster for me than driving (twice) to an LDS. And if you decide to someday learn to service your own, service kits are readily available.

I've been steered poorly more than once by LDS's not out of bad faith but just out of ignorance. That being said, I need them for air fills and want them to stay in business, so I do try to buy ancillary equipment and consumables from them, even if it costs more than online.

Also, on the rent vs buy debate, there is something to be said for the familiarity that comes with having your own equipment. When you put on your own BP, you know where every buckle and ring is, and you don't have to make any adjustments. And with your own computer, you can play around with it at home until you're much more familiar with it than you would ever be with a rental.

Back
Top Bottom