Scuba Tony - Cash Only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or there. The exciting adventures of Terry Hunter in Cozumel.

You know since my Msteven's schooled me, I wonder if Ops could start taking US checks and depositing them to their BOA accounts with the smartphone app? Might be good for everyone?

Or there. The exciting adventures of Terry Hunter in Cozumel.

You know since my Msteven's schooled me, I wonder if Ops could start taking US checks and depositing them to their BOA accounts with the smartphone app? Might be good for everyone?
I can see the Bank of Mexico sending in the Federales.
Marching.gif

In the past when diving with Tony, the deposit was paid via Paypal and the remainder paid in cash. It was no big deal, but something you definitely have to plan ahead for. In Cabo San Lucas our dive shop provided customers the option of paying either cash or pay with credit card or Paypal for a certain percentage. I chose option #2 because I have had issues with ATM's in other countries and don't like carrying around a lot of money.

I have friends who are business owners. The credit card companies not only charge the business owner a percentage of the fee, but also charge a transaction fee, also present are 'set up' fees to be able to use the companies card, along with annual fees. Often moneys are not received until 90 days after the transaction. Tony is a business professional with up most integrity. I am sure he has sound reason for his preferences and policies.

Ease up on Tony now....he is like most of us in this economy, working hard to make every penny count. He is a great guy.

For the record - my comment had nothing to do with Tony or any other operation! Tony is a friend and I respect him immensely!

I always love when people think they know how business operates here. Of course cash is great and has it's benefits, but it's not "free" money to us. AS of 2012, there is a new Mexican law that taxes us on ALL deposits, including cash. Every deposit we make into the bank (cash or through a cc machine or paypal) is reported to SAT - which is the Mexican IRS - there is no way around it. I'll go further to say that in order for a business expense over $2000 pesos to be cash deductible, we must pay by check or electronic payment from our bank account - so cash has to be deposited to cover business expenses and to get the tax deductible benefits. It's a complicated system with monthly reporting and yes, some draconian ways as well. Either way, we are taxed to death here and it gets more and more expensive to operate here with smaller and smaller margins.

It's FINE if an op wants to offer a cash discount across the board or offer it to only select repeat customers, etc. But please don't be mistaken - we have to pay and report the sales tax regardless of whether you pay cash or credit card. If they are offering a cash discount, it's probably for other reasons. If they are TELLING you it is to avoid the tax and that is really what they are doing - then I want to know who their accountant is.

"negotiating" rates as another poster said can be offensive considering we are all working harder and harder to cover expenses and working on thin, thin margins. AS I've said before and recently - you would be astonished at how little we live on!

"negotiating" rates as another poster said can be offensive considering we are all working harder and harder to cover expenses and working on thin, thin margins. AS I've said before and recently - you would be astonished at how little we live on!
Oh, I don't argue. I just ask once, then pay.

Owners of dive shops in my opinion should not be on these forums promoting their shops and making snide remarks about other ops.

That is a ridiculous statement.

For the record again, I was a member of this forum before I ever moved to the island, which means I have been on this forum for about 13 - 14 years. Owning a dive op does not strip that right or my privilege to post here. In fact, I am often encouraged by mods and other members to be as active as I used to be. I am still active, but not the way I used to be - I am busy.

Where was I promoting my shop or making snide comments about another op???? If anything, I SUPPORT other ops! It's funny, some people try to pit us against each other and make it a competition, when that is not the reality of how things are - the truth is, with only a few exceptions we (owners) are all friendly and help each other out whenever needed. We communicate and share information about many things and we even hang out socially with one another...imagine that!

OK. Thanks for the advice. I tried to pay CC in advance but the response was cash only. (Pay Pal reservation, only) So, I think I'm going to avoid any ATM surprises and carry the cash. See you all on the beach, on the boat...somewhere other than the snowstorm I'm now sitting through.

We dove with Dive with Martin for years and they (at least used to be when Martin was alive), a cash only operation. I'm pretty sure they take credit now.

We usually deal with mostly cash on our trips anyway, so that was never a problem. In my little money pouch, I'd just bring large bills for the dive op, and pay them up front when we checked in the day we arrived on the island, so we didn't have to worry about carrying all that extra money or putting it in the safe in the room...I'm pretty sure EVERY hotel room I've had on Coz has had a mini-safe.

As far as operators promoting their shops here on the SB, and Christi in particular, I have NEVER seen her, nor Dave from Aldora, nor any of number of dive operators on this board, ever self-promoted themselves here.

They know this is not a place for that, and they know they can take out ads here on the SB if they do want to promote themselves. I have seen new dive ops introduce themselves to the SB community, but I have no issue with that at all as long as it's just a "howdy" and not a big deal going into services and all.

These people offer their years of business and diving experience advice to you for free and always stay above the board by giving straight facts and experienced opinions. I've never once seen a post from them; "don't use so&so, use me" or "we'd never do that", so I think accusing people of self-promotion is a little stiff.

...ME on the other hand...I self-promote like crazy!!! :D

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure EVERY hotel room I've had on Coz has had a mini-safe.
Perhaps, but some don't - and I don't like front desk safes. Villablanca does not have room safes.

My comment was not to start trouble Christi but to me you made a snide comment about Ray and Pam's statement and in the past have made judgements about other dive ops.I would love to have you on the board as a Cozumel expert and a promoter of Cozumel diving.
I have also been in business for a long time and know had difficult it is to be above board and run a decent profitable business but I never say anything negative about a competitor.I truly believe that the good business will survive and in the end the others will slowly go away.
I made my comment before I had my coffee this morning so maybe was being to harsh.
Newt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom