Scuba Tony - Cash Only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Discussion you are sarcastically replying to is about CASH as in hard paper currency, not any transaction other than a credit card. It's about transactions that are not traceable due to a paper trail such as having to go to a bank to deposit or cash them.

Perhaps you didn't actually read the entire thread and just jumped in without any knowledge of what was actually being discussed? You can go back to post #32 and start re-reading from there and get caught up.

Well, now there is the other side which is offering a cash discount in order to funnel good ole hard cash into the hand, avoiding any electronic or paper trail of the transaction and therefore opening up the opportunity for avoiding any taxes as long as the cash goes under the mattress and doesn't go into the bank. Seems to me anybody offering a cash discount is probably partaking in these 'benefits' to some degree. If not you don't offer a cash discount you simply offer a cash rate and a higher rate for CC transactions. When you offer a cash discount, let's face it, you're trying to entice the buyer to go through the extra hassles of paying in cash by giving them a discount and ending up with a huge benefit to the business owner if he operates outside of the banks.

Does the above quote help you? It's referring to Cash - as in dollar bills or Peso bills, not checks, money orders etc...Nowhere in the discussion that you are reply and referring to is there a separation of Credit card vs all other transactions (cash, check, money order etc...) it's a separation of Credit Card vs hard cash.

In regards to your questions about what type of business has transactions SO large they won't take credit (cards), if you're referring to me as I'm sure you are : :shakehead:
We don't accept credit cards because our transaction amounts are large

I said LARGE. I didn't say SO LARGE or TOO LARGE. Large is relevant.

We don't take credit cards because most of our transactions are over $20.000, and many are $50,000 - $60,000. That's large to us, it might not be large to you, but as the business owner we get to make those decisions. Businesses take credit cards for a reason -- the convenience of the transaction factor, for credibility, to gain business that wouldn't be able to capture, for cash flow reasons, security of funds...etc... As said, we don't lose business over not accepting credit cards, further we don't have any cash flow problems, etc... so we don't accept them because there is no benefit to us for doing so. In 1999-2003 I owned a different business and we did accept CC because we needed to due to we were 100% internet based. In a 3 person company doing just under one million dollars a year in 100% credit card transactions, and being the one responsible for the financial and transaction side of the company, I'm well versed in the details of credit card acceptance and merchant accounts. You on the other hand are having a hard time understanding the difference between CASH and everything else besides a credit card. Hopefully this helps clear up your confusion. By-the-way, somebody posted some stuff about Belize dive operators on AC having the tendency to put up websites with pictures of dive shops that don't exist and such to miss-represent themselves, you might want to go defend those accusations.

Last edited:
So . . . ipso facto, discount for cash.

In a lot of ways it is quite brave of Christi to open herself up to a bashing on the boards. You don't see many ops willing to take a chance on sharing an opinion. These are 'Dangerous Waters.' That is a Paul Mila reference. If you haven't look it up on Amazon....

I am reading Paul Mila's books now and IMHO they are a must read for all Coz enthusiasts. Great fun!

---------- Post added March 5th, 2013 at 02:07 PM ----------

"negotiating" rates as another poster said can be offensive considering we are all working harder and harder to cover expenses and working on thin, thin margins. AS I've said before and recently - you would be astonished at how little we live on!

It always amazes me when a tourist pays stupid high prices for stuff around the square, buys crazy overpriced meals in a few of the overpriced restaurants or gambles thousands in vegas, then bitches about tipping a cab driver (in vegas) or paying what a dive op charges on the island which amounts to very little even without discounts. Has anyone checked the cost of diving around the Caribbean or anywhere in Florida (Bonaire excluded)? It is crazy how inexpensive Cozumel dive ops are.... I don't see how most of them stay in business. I have also learned to bring cash for the diving, if my cash flow allows for it at the time. I love the place.

USAA debit card = free ATM (they reimburse fees to you). If you are able to bank with USAA its a definite benefit.

OK. Thanks for the advice. I tried to pay CC in advance but the response was cash only. (Pay Pal reservation, only) So, I think I'm going to avoid any ATM surprises and carry the cash. See you all on the beach, on the boat...somewhere other than the snowstorm I'm now sitting through.

Hey, Ron-
Was great diving with you and Audrey last week! You should have come out with us Friday...we only got one dive in (70 mins on Tormentos) but it was a really nice one followed by wandering through the jungle in robes to find the torta lady on our SI :D Hope to see you guys again soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom