Scuba Tony - Cash Only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More likely in cahoots with avoiding paying taxes on the income, and letting the rest of the legitimate business operators make up for it for them.

Did they tell you that in a private email after the fact or is it published publicly on their website for the government to read?

You might want to ask them for a further discount since I'm sure the tourist taxes they charged you won't be being forwarded on to the treasury so maybe you can split the additional profits they are pocketing with those?

I'm not the tax police, but I don't run around with blinders on either and rose colored glasses rationalizing as to what businesses are really doing. I'm sure the other operators who are paying their full tax burdens and operating at a disadvantage to the 'cash' businesses who operate illegally with lower expenses might have a different take on how harmless the whole thing is to them. I personally break the balls of the douches who approach us with 'is there a cash discount' crap wanting me to break the law in order to save their cheap asses a few bucks. They are told, it's all cash, it doesn't matter if you pay with cash, a check or gold bars, it's still costs the same since we will report the income no matter how it's paid. Usually that's enough for them to get the idea, other times some of the real beauties will try to spell it out to us, like we don't know what they mean with a "but if I pay you cash, you know..... (wink wink)"

Cash, check and gold bars, yes. But credit cards are not the same. If you give me cash, check or gold bars worth $100, I get $100. If I run your credit card for $100, I get ~$97 because it costs ~3% to accept credit cards. That 3% goes to Visa/MC/Amex/Discover and issuing banks. Cash transactions are still supposed to be reported for tax purposes.

More likely in cahoots with avoiding paying taxes on the income, and letting the rest of the legitimate business operators make up for it for them.

Did they tell you that in a private email after the fact or is it published publicly on their website for the government to read?

You might want to ask them for a further discount since I'm sure the tourist taxes they charged you won't be being forwarded on to the treasury so maybe you can split the additional profits they are pocketing with those?

I'm not the tax police, but I don't run around with blinders on either and rose colored glasses rationalizing as to what businesses are really doing. As a consumer many of us just say, not my problem what they do, but as a business owner I feel sorry for the other operators who are paying their full tax burdens and operating at a disadvantage to the 'cash' businesses who operate illegally with lower expenses and those legitimate businesses who bust their butts day after day following the rules might have a different take on how harmless the whole thing is to them. I personally break the balls of the douches who approach us with 'is there a cash discount' crap wanting me to break the law in order to save their cheap asses a few bucks. They are told, it's all cash, it doesn't matter if you pay with cash, a check or gold bars, it's still costs the same since we will report the income no matter how it's paid. Usually that's enough for them to get the idea, other times some of the real beauties will try to spell it out to us, like we don't know what they are getting at with a "but if I pay you cash, you know..... (wink wink)"

Are you seriously implying in writing that a business you know nothing about is evading taxes based on nothing more than a totally blown out of proportion thread on a message board?

Not that I should be surprised by how any thread turns out on SB, but we went from a question of "how have customers of this business handled paying in cash" based on a small business owner trying to avoid large fees from credit card companies to a bunch of far fetched implications that really have nothing to do with the particular business the thread was initially discussing.

I agree . I run a small "small business" . Cash is always appreciated . Most people today do not even have chequing acounts.
I am just getting adjusted to the "e" world and cash is just so darn easy .
I can only imagine how much easier is would be in Mexico.

Does anyone actually know how much the individual business's are paying for credit card transactions? I see that many of the operations are preferring to use PayPal and I believe they are getting 7%, which is a lot for a small business, this makes me think the Mexican Banking system is really raping them on credit card transaction fees. As to taxes, why would any business try to short federal government of Mexico, they are all aware that each and every peso goes to a good cause.
I always try to pay cash, if it gets me a discount, I am OK with that but regardless I would like to help lower the operators costs, if possible. It cost me about 1.5 % to use the BAMEX ATM to get pesos(5-6 K at a shot). I see most operators as struggling in a very slim margin business, some may be doing OK with the dive operations but I do not think that any are getting rich, on diving.

Christie, thanks for the clarification. Yes, that first post did seem out of character for you. And I feel your computer pain. One of my all time best EVER! posts to SB was lost that way. :^D

As an aside, I can't help wondering what kind of business has transactions so large that credit cards can't be used. Ipso facto that's a discount for cash.

As an aside, I can't help wondering what kind of business has transactions so large that credit cards can't be used. Ipso facto that's a discount for cash.

Car dealerships hate taking credit cards for new car purchases. You've in effect made an additional 2.5 to 3% discount (in the dealerships eyes) to use your credit card.

Don't think that is the business though because they generally offer financing. Also I used credit card for the deposit for my last new car.

Don't think that is the business though because they generally offer financing. Also I used credit card for the deposit for my last new car.

You mean, just like ScubaTony? Put your deposit on CC and pay the rest an alternative way? :D

I'm teasing you.

Yes! And then upon delivery I gave them a bank draft for the balance (equivalent to cash) har

I wanted to put the whole thing on my CC but that was a no go. Darn, I wanted those miles points.

So . . .I'm still left wondering what kind of business has transactions SO large that they wont take credit . . .ipso facto discount for cash.

As for you wookie, of course I knew you were teasing me. :)

Back
Top Bottom