Question Snorkeling Recommendations for Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
Starting to plan a trip for Spring of 2025 (yes, I do like to start planning early). We've been to Cozumel before for dedicated dive trips many times, but this trip will be a bit different: we will have 3 kids along (ages 10-14). Yes, we grownups will manage to squeeze in a few days diving (at my insistence), not as many diving days as I'd like, but I will have to settle for a very short amount of time underwater.

I'm looking for good options for the kids, who do love snorkeling. The oldest is (I think) mature and responsible enough to start SCUBA, but her mom is not yet convinced of that (I'll keep working on her...). For now, I'm assuming the three kids will happily go snorkeling for a couple days. They have some prior snorkeling experience, and love wild animal encounters. But they're still pretty young, and not used to deep water. Before we catch the ferry to Cozumel, we will wander around the mainland for a few weeks; I'm toying with the idea of spending half a day in/near Akumal in hopes of getting them some snorkel time in the water with turtles (maybe at Yal-ku lagoon?) though I know it gets crazy busy there, so would welcome any suggestions for less over-touristed alternatives (besides being there at 9 am when they open to beat the crowds).

Our group on Cozumel will be three adults and three snorkel-loving kids aged 10, 12 and 14.

I'm familiar with Chankanaab from previous trips. I'm assuming we will go there for an afternoon. As I remember it, the place gets crowded (cruise ships) and I thought it was OK/so-so, but not particularly spectacular (I am of course spoiled, I suspect the kids would be happy enough there). But it's been years since I poked around Chankanaab. Still about the same? (Maybe the lionfish have eaten everything?)

So where is better? Ideally we would like the usual things people want: warm, clear water, not too deep for the little ones, lots of fish life. Extra points for charismatic species, starfish, rays, anything colorful and numerous. Not super crowded, and hoping to avoid drunken louts. We could do shore-based on our own, or hire a boat (preferably not a huge one, we would probably rather have a boat to ourselves if that's not prohibitively expensive). We will probably make snorkeling the focus of two (partial) days.

I think we will be staying at the Intercontinental El Presidente, so based near, but south, of town (and we will do our diving with Living Underwater, our longtime favorites).

Thanks for any pointers for top snorkeling places/outfits/strategies.

We just stayed in the deck 17 condos immediately south of Chankanaab, and found fairly good (not amazing, but didn't want to leave, either) snorkeling right across the road, a few bathtub entry spots just north of the condos. This said, this is also right by the boat highway, so bring a buoy.

Attachments

• SportDiver_20240324_103555.jpeg
    SportDiver_20240324_103555.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 21
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 19
  • SportDiver_20240324_103857.jpeg
    SportDiver_20240324_103857.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 24
In 2019, my wife and I booked an El Cielo snorkel trip through Cozumel Cruise Excursions. We snorkeled a bit and then spent some time on the sand bar. There were a number of stingrays on the bar and seen during the snorkeling, as well as a number of starfish. I also dove Columbia and Palancar reefs while my wife snorkeled above, so that might be an option. Abundant sea life as I recall.
Also, Isla Mujeres is always a lot of fun. Although, we’ve only done that when in Cancun, so I don’t know if that’s a Cozumel option.

Isla Mujeres is always a lot of fun. Although, we’ve only done that when in Cancun, so I don’t know if that’s a Cozumel option.
From Cozumel, visiting Isla Mujeres by boat isn't an option; the islands are about 50 miles apart.

Had a feeling it wasn't. Just trying to cover all bases I could think of.

We have been to Cozumel with our kids when they were tweens. Mainly we took turns diving with another couple, alternating AM and PM trips. Eventually, the activities at the AI (which is great when you have kids with you) kept them so occupied and happy we dove all four of us a couple of times.

We also did a boat trip with the kids while they snorkeled and we dove. Plus a trip to Tulum and dove Dos Ojos cenote while they snorkeled. We met up with them at the Bat Cave which was really fun. I think we fit in a trip to the ruins at Tulum, too.

All in all, very possible to get plenty of diving in when traveling with kids.

Thank you for your suggestions - please keep them coming, any additional suggestions welcome.

I see in another thread references to El Cielo. Sounds like a place where you can be pretty sure to see sea stars and maybe stingrays(?). Also seems to be a dumping ground for party boats and cruisers (and a huge urinal for those same folks). I'm not familiar with this site - sounds like it's Cozumel's equivalent of Stingray City on Grand Cayman.

If one gets to El Cielo early in the day, is the experience likely to be decent? I'm sure the kids would swoon over sea stars and stingrays, but I'm looking to avoid the drunks, the people picking up marine life, and large numbers of people using that shared bit of ocean as a toilet.

Thank you for your suggestions - please keep them coming, any additional suggestions welcome.

I see in another thread references to El Cielo. Sounds like a place where you can be pretty sure to see sea stars and maybe stingrays(?). Also seems to be a dumping ground for party boats and cruisers (and a huge urinal for those same folks). I'm not familiar with this site - sounds like it's Cozumel's equivalent of Stingray City on Grand Cayman.

If one gets to El Cielo early in the day, is the experience likely to be decent? I'm sure the kids would swoon over sea stars and stingrays, but I'm looking to avoid the drunks, the people picking up marine life, and large numbers of people using that shared bit of ocean as a toilet.

I can only speak for my one experience. There were quite a few people, but it didn’t feel overcrowded to me. I didn’t notice any drunks or people trying to pick up the starfish or rays. Depending on where by the bar your boat drops anchor, I guess wild determine the number of starfish. Saw numerous snorkeling and while on the boat. As for the rays, they were all over the place, weaving in and out of the people. I went toward the end of August.

Cielo. That's about it.

You can go to sunset bar/ sand dollar sports. There is decent snorkelling there. You could also go to tekila bar just south and snorkel all the way to sunset . The reef is about 15 feet deep. Lots of snorkel boats do their tours in the same area that is accesible from shore. There are statues of cousteu, sylvia earle in the water about 100 feet south of sunset in 15 feet of water. Money Bar has snorkelling , but the currents can be fast there sometimes. Buccanos has snorkelling too. Make sure you have some kind of float and have kids wear bright rash guards or snorkel vests while in the water.

Back
Top Bottom