"Right to Repair" - Potentially great news for DIY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not?

There's some fast, easy money.

The last time I took a physical manufacturer's course, it ran about 300.00, obviously not including travel and lodging; but did include stale doughnuts; iffy cheese danish; and the finest bodega-quality coffee, money could buy, off the 405, in Long Beach.

There were fifteen students, if I recall; some familiar faces, doing refreshers; and public school math, puts that four hour-plus seminar figure at 4500.00 -- not including an option for purchasing some "discounted " specialty tools, afterwards -- all this, while watching a guy, going through the motions, assemble and disassemble a few regulators, via an overhead projector; answer a few odd questions; and having us mimic his moves, on our little rubber mats.

The guy didn't even break a sweat . . .

Sounds like Glock training. You spent all day at a nearby LE agency, taking a 4 hour class stretched across 8 hours of classroom time.

The lunch wasn't bad though.

Sounds like Glock training. You spent all day at a nearby LE agency, taking a 4 hour class stretched across 8 hours of classroom time.

The lunch wasn't bad though.

And the trainer Glocks were so loose from being taken apart and being re-assembled a million times you could disassemble them with a toothpick…

And the trainer Glocks were so loose from being taken apart and being re-assembled a million times you could disassemble them with a toothpick…

Reinserting the pins was like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.

Reinserting the pins was like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.

So too were most of the regulators that day -- some, like my allotment, with missing parts (a sintered filter, various o-rings; a valve insert; even a hard seat); some stems cross-threaded; all quite loose. We were given new service kits to rebuild them. I still cannot fathom why so much was missing.

I don't think that I ever required a wrench to crack anything open; just used my grubby rookers -- nor did I anticipate that any of those regulators would ever see the ocean again . . .

Nonsense, by making repair kits unavailable to any entity but dive shop owners (not for resale) the manufacturers effectively prevent repairs by owners of equipment.
put together your own repair kit then and stop complaining

or just start your own regulator company and run it however you like.

as ive said before....you cannot compel someone to sell you something in a free society....that applies to service kits.

or just start your own regulator company and run it however you like.
No need. There's Deep 6. With their top notch customer service and great products, they have created a loyal following.

Then buy something else (it's possible, it just takes effort and people are lazy) and/or don't sign the license/end user agreement for whatever device you do buy. When people agree to the terms, they can't complain to the fed govt to help undo them.

Minimize the youtube window and read Adam Smith.

Nothing is stopping the you tube guy from writing his own code and selling it to Apple, or manufacturing his own cell phones that only he can repair. Apple or HP, or Dell has no obligation to give him their IP (software). Adam Smith would likely agree

I believe in the free market but behind this are a number of assumptions including perfect information and no barriers to entry. In the real world these things do not exist and that’s why the FTC’s decision to crack down on unfair and anticompetitiveness is welcomed.

I believe in the free market but.....

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cheatsheet.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F08%2Fgameofthronesbenjenseason1.jpg

So you believe in the free market....but only when it acts the way you want it to?

And when it doesn't act how you want it to, you make the govt force it to do what you want?

Lol

View attachment 680280

So you believe in the free market....but only when it acts the way you want it to?

And when it doesn't act how you want it to, you make the govt force it to do what you want?

Lol
Yes, unfettered “free markets” don’t work.

Back
Top Bottom