"Right to Repair" - Potentially great news for DIY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fact that Deep 6 and Poseiden have provided service kits for years without incident nullifies the pearl clutching fear mongering expressed in this thread.

Agreed, ostensibly withholding service kits for reasons of liability was/is a bogus argument, and was/is done for other reasons. The argument that a technician with a four hour training course for rebuilding regulators will shield the manufacturer from liability is erroneous.

guys, i can only explain the situation to you.....i cant understand it for you.

run your own business one day if you really want to understand liability, the legal system, and just how ******* stupid the average person.

at the end of the day....you are asking the govt to be your big brother because you dont like how a company runs their business....name one thing the govt hasnt royally screwed up, and then ask yourself just how much more control you want them to have over the rest of your lives.

Probably about as stupid as the average repair technician, which is why I'd like to be able to buy parts.

I think there are reasonable positions on both sides of this argument, and I for one would like to be able to buy kits from my LDS, to repair MY regulator, at MY own risk, while giving him his desired profit as well as saving him some of the headache of dissatisfied repair customers.

JUST like buying OEM parts for my own car.

Probably about as stupid as the average repair technician, which is why I'd like to be able to buy parts.

I think there are reasonable positions on both sides of this argument, and I for one would like to be able to buy kits from my LDS, to repair MY regulator, at MY own risk, while giving him his desired profit as well as saving him some of the headache of dissatisfied repair customers.

and you have every right to buy regulators from a company that wants to sell you a service kit....and every right to not buy regulators from a company that wont.

but you have no right to demand a company sell you something, that for whatever reason, they dont want to sell you.

there is also nothing in the world stopping you from buying all the orings, seats, ect, separately....and piecing together your own service kit.

And that is where we disagree.
I didn't rent their reg. I bought it.
yes you did....you bought the reg....not the rights to make them sell you service kits.

you give them money, they give you a regulator....that is the end of that transaction....and the end of their obligations to you

Agreed, ostensibly withholding service kits for reasons of liability was/is a bogus argument, and was/is done for other reasons. The argument that a technician with a four hour training course for rebuilding regulators will shield the manufacturer from liability is erroneous.
People think that if they repeat the same thing over and over, it must be true, regardless of reality.

People think that if they repeat the same thing over and over, it must be true, regardless of reality.
well, like i said, i cant understand it for you...and i cant dumb it down anymore for you....so feel free to stop engaging.

Good luck with the govt, hope it doesnt bite you in the ass one day.

The world is changing. This Executive Order is a potential harbinger of that change. I'm not after proprietary software code. I just want parts for 1965 technology, not even as sophisticated as my car.
Sadly, though, you are probably right. The manufacturers lobby will outmaneuver the little guy and we'll be stuck having superior equipment serviced by inferior repair technicians.

well, like i said, i cant understand it for you...and i cant dumb it down anymore for you....so feel free to stop engaging.

Good luck with the govt, hope it doesnt bite you in the ass one day.
well when there is evidence to the contrary (Deep 6, Poseidon) in which there isn't an issue, your argument that there is risk of liability or that the companies that make regulators are trying to protect us is simply pearl clutching fear mongering.

I can't help you understand that either. No one can.

The scuba market is simply a beneficiary of this law. I'm hopeful that farmers will be able to service their equipment faster, possibly using third parties to diagnose and fix bugs in firmware quickly so they can get back to what they want to focus on: farming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom