Question Venting/Frustrated/Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it's blowing my mind. I just contacted a buddy who stated that they are not selling parts anymore unless you have the certification: "TDI Edge-Hog Service Technician Specialty." I know before one of the best-selling points with HOG were being able to get the kits yourself without a course, but now?

Coincidentally enough, this class is a virtual class offered by DRIS/Diver's Supply.

They do absolutely sell the Yoke to DIN, and even gave me the part number and price for it. Just based on appearances and my old D1, I do believe they are the same and I wish I would not have sold them now. If they are, and you're willing to trade a Yoke or let me purchase one I am game.
I took the TDI Edge-HOG service course at the Divers Supply up here in Marietta, and it was worthwhile for me, because I had no previous experience servicing regulators. If you already have that knowledge, it would be a waste for you.

I'm heading out of town for a few days, but if you want to confirm the D1 DIN assembly will work for your D3s, I will try to find mine when I'm back next week.

That's really odd. I mean, DRIS sells the DIN-to-Yoke conversion kit on their website, so why invoke the "you'll kill yourself" defense with the Yoke-to-DIN? Does HOG make a Yoke-to-DIN conversion kit?

Is the D3 yoke assembly the same as the D1 yoke assembly? I suppose I still have the DIN assemblies I removed from my D1s when I replaced them with yokes using the DIN-to-Yoke conversion kits I bought from DRIS, and I have no need for them. I'm in Atlanta.

I just checked the schematics for the D1 and the D3 to crossreference the DIN connection part numbers and they unfortunately do not match up....some of the parts might work but even the diagrams show a different configuration such as the sintered filter for example.

-Z

I contacted them, same response as Diver's Supply.

Do you remember when? It would appear if you have not taken the certification class that this is HOG's official new policy?

Hog D3 First Stage.... I guess I can just buy an entirely new 1st stage and have the other one as a backup. It's only $50 more than what it would cost me to get it done at the shop.

Check with Piranha Dive, they sell HOG stuff:

-Z

I wanted to convert one of the reg sets to DIN

Is the D3 yoke assembly the same as the D1 yoke assembly? I suppose I still have the DIN assemblies I removed from my D1s when I replaced them with yokes using the DIN-to-Yoke conversion kits I bought from DRIS, and I have no need for them. I'm in Atlanta.

At one time there was a very active DIY group on SB. We have lost too many over the past years 🙏 but it is still active. I suggest posting your problem there and see if anyone has one to sell, new or used. Or knows alternatives. Or you could post a want to buy thread.

What a really terrific idea

If you don't know how to get it you don't need it

At the current time the reg group has never been more comprehensive

I would simply get a DIN first stage instead (more compact and properly psi rated). There is no real benefit in yoke-to-DIN adapter, since yoke is 232bar/3400psi vs DIN being 300bar/4350psi rated. I believe that pressure difference is the main reason they don't want to sell you yoke-to-DIN piece

I would simply get a DIN first stage instead (more compact and properly psi rated). There is no real benefit in yoke-to-DIN adapter, since yoke is 232bar/3400psi vs DIN being 300bar/4350psi rated. I believe that pressure difference is the main reason they don't want to sell you yoke-to-DIN piece

Hey Freq, it's not actually an adapter. It's a complete conversion kit from Yoke to DIN. Effectively, making the system an actual DIN first stage as you would buy it from the factory. However, that's what I ended up doing regardless. I remembered I had a $225 credit at a dive shop in West Palm for a called boat dive. I called them up and used that credit and paid about $50 more and got a new DIN D3 that's being shipped to me.

In the end it actually worked out for the better. I was able to convince the wife that well, you know our son needs a reg set anyways. Let's just give him the new DIN D3 with my Zenith set and I will get a XT4/XT1 Diverite combo in DIN for myself. Additionally, I've got a LDS right down the road that services DiveRite, so this situation should not happen again.

I now have a new DIN D3 1st stage, a back-up Yoke D3 1st stage, and a new XT4/XT1 Diverite 2nd/1st stage.

I do want to thank everyone that was helping me out. I really appreciate it, and that is why I love this sport. I've never met a group of people more willing to help each other tackle problems than our Scuba brothers and sisters. Stay safe ya'll and I'll be sticking around and trying to return the favor where and when I can!

here are the measuremnts I could take off a SP DIN wheel, this is from an mk17 (not evo, so this is not the most recent version -- but I believe the should all have that same last bit)
I would not think much about that top shoulder closer to the wheel, what counts is the one closer to the threads

All meas. are in mm
please allow for tolerances -- this is best I could do with a cheap plastic caliper
-----------------------
Guessing game:
I think the SP DIN retainer is gonna be short for the D3 from the schematic I see
the 2nd upper shoulder here is the one that levels with the cosmetic plastic side vents, the lower one levels with the body itself

I think from the pictures I saw of the D3 the threads are too little for the SP one to fit

Attachments

• New Note.jpeg
    New Note.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 16.22.12.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 16.22.12.png
    173.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 16.22.19.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 16.22.19.png
    315.3 KB · Views: 9
In the end it actually worked out for the better. I was able to convince the wife that well, you know our son needs a reg set anyways. Let's just give him the new DIN D3 with my Zenith set and I will get a XT4/XT1 Diverite combo in DIN for myself. Additionally, I've got a LDS right down the road that services DiveRite, so this situation should not happen again.
Ask and the universe shall gift -- happy days for all

Back
Top Bottom