"Right to Repair" - Potentially great news for DIY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like the solution is to allow dive shops to legally sell the kits.

And sell training seminars to DIY types?

And sell specialized tools to DIY types?

Also, there is no law against selling repair kits. It is strictly contractual.

m

TC:
There are already folks selling the tools, has been for years.

www.scubatools.com

Hi TC,

I was thinking in line with Eric Sedletzky's post above ("Right to Repair" - Potentially great news for DIY!. I would rather buy specialized tools from the dive op who is training me to repair my own reg. I am thinking shops could increase their revenue. Hey, they could offer a new cert card to add to my collection! Put another dollar in baby!

I like my LDS. I would support them with more revenue for something fun and worthwhile. Yes, I do think maintaining my dive gear is enjoyable.

I have an account with www.scubatools.com.

cheers,
m

And sell training seminars to DIY types?

And sell specialized tools to DIY types?

m

Why not?

There's some fast, easy money.

The last time I took a physical manufacturer's course, it ran about 300.00, obviously not including travel and lodging; but did include stale doughnuts; iffy cheese danish; and the finest bodega-quality coffee, money could buy, off the 405, in Long Beach.

There were fifteen students, if I recall; some familiar faces, doing refreshers; and public school math, puts that four hour-plus seminar figure at 4500.00 -- not including an option for purchasing some "discounted " specialty tools, afterwards -- all this, while watching a guy, going through the motions, assemble and disassemble a few regulators, via an overhead projector; answer a few odd questions; and having us mimic his moves, on our little rubber mats.

The guy didn't even break a sweat . . .

The difference between a "trained tech" and me (you?) is a 4 hour seminar and a printed certificate.
Nah. The big difference is that you'll be breathing off of your work. When I worked for Goodyear, it was a company policy that no tech was to work on their vehicle in the shop. You want an oil change? Cool, the GS will do that for you. Why? Because you can bet that the tech will spend a LOT of extra time on their own vehicle. Just like I spend more time and care on my personal regs. We do better work when we know it's OUR butt on the line! :D :D :D
Seems like the solution is to allow dive shops to legally sell the kits.
It's already legal.
I would rather buy specialized tools from the dive op who is training me to repair my own reg.
Most of those come from ScubaTools. :D

Exactly. And these types of deals are largely banned in Europe which is why you can usually buy service kits from overseas.

I've bought Mares parts, even an entire first stage, from an Italian distributor. I've also bought leftover parts from a Canadian dive shop that decided to end its dealership agreement with Mares.

Nah. The big difference is that you'll be breathing off of your work. When I worked for Goodyear, it was a company policy that no tech was to work on their vehicle in the shop. You want an oil change? Cool, the GS will do that for you. Why? Because you can bet that the tech will spend a LOT of extra time on their own vehicle. Just like I spend more time and care on my personal regs. We do better work when we know it's OUR butt on the line! :D :D :D

It's already legal.

Most of those come from ScubaTools. :D

Legally was a poor choice of words.

Sell them without repercussion from their brands.

I had this tag on something that I bought that clearly stated that I can't remove it under penalty of law.

Those tags also say "except by the end user" or "except by the purchaser" of the product. There's countless jokes about the wording on mattress tags, but the jokes tend to leave out this last part. Because with the last part, it makes perfect sense: the tag is there to inform the purchaser. Once purchased, the tag can be removed.

Those tags also say "except by the end user" or "except by the purchaser" of the product. There's countless jokes about the wording on mattress tags, but the jokes tend to leave out this last part. Because with the last part, it makes perfect sense: the tag is there to inform the purchaser. Once purchased, the tag can be removed.

I wouldn't be too sure; there may be unforeseen consequences:

...//... There's countless jokes about the wording on mattress tags, ...//...
There is good reason. Truth be known, it wasn't until the 1990's that the wording was changed from the original draconian wording to: (quoted from livescience.com)

"In the 1990s, in an effort to clear up the confusion, the tag's warning was officially changed to "Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Law Except by the Consumer."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom