Ratio Dive Computers Announces New iX3M 2!! Our Best Dive Computer yet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you ask?

I have been using their iX3M computer since 2017 and I like it very much. I have several other dive computer from other dive equipment manufacturers and the iX3M is the best I have used so far.
Because a) you seem extremely knowledgeable about intricacies of the various models, upgrade history, and pricing, b) you never fail to promote them in any thread where dive computers are mentioned, and c) you’ve started threads about new models that read exactly like promotional advertising.

Obviously it’s fine if you are affiliated with the company in some way, but I believe a little transparency is appropriate so folks know what they’re reading - an unbiased user review/recommendation or an advertisement.

Because a) you seem extremely knowledgeable about intricacies of the various models, upgrade history, and pricing, b) you never fail to promote them in any thread where dive computers are mentioned, and c) you’ve started threads about new models that read exactly like promotional advertising.

Obviously it’s fine if you are affiliated with the company in some way, but I believe a little transparency is appropriate so folks know what they’re reading - an unbiased user review/recommendation or an advertisement.

None of the information is proprietary or unavailable to the general public. I read what is published on the internet and I get email newsletters from Ratio.

BUT, when the Shearwater crowd (and other brands too) do the same and even more extreme actions in promoting their sacred cow it doesn't draw your attention but my enthusiasm for Ratio does? There have been numerous posts on SB announcing new version, new models, prices, etc. about SW and no one questioned it. Very interesting.

And d) refusal to just say yes or no to a quite simple question.

I‘m not looking to pick a fight here; really just curious.

And d) refusal to just say yes or no to a quite simple question.

I‘m not looking to pick a fight here; really just curious.
My relationship with Ratio was explained above, I am a user who has owned their computer since 2017 and liked it very much. I paid for everything I bought from them (except for the extra screen protector sheets, I think 2 of them, they sent me for free once).

Do you ask this type of question from others that are enthusiastic about their Shearwater, or any other brand?

There are a lot of people around here enthusiastic about Shearwater, so no one person stands out to me. That there is one person here who is quite vocal about Ratio does stand out. Only reason I was curious. They do seem like fine computers, not arguing that.

There are a lot of people around here enthusiastic about Shearwater, so no one person stands out to me. That there is one person here who is quite vocal about Ratio does stand out. Only reason I was curious. They do seem like fine computers, not arguing that.

Anyone is different or doesn't go with the flow will probably stand out for you. What you are trying to imply or say is very curious.

I always tell people about Ratio computers as they are a more advanced & reliable computer and no I don't work for them.
BoltSnap has been a very good wealth of information on Ratio computers for me.

Must admit BoltSnap opened my eyes to Ration computers. Not looked back since. Makes no difference what his affiliation is as long as the info is correct I couldn't care less. WIll say the Ration software for the PC is rubbish! But they are a sodding solid computer, I was lucky enough to get one when it was on very high discount

No, there was no price increase, the prices you quote for the first generation were "special" prices heavily discounted from the regular prices that were advertised the last few months. The new version prices are still less expensive than SW prices.

The prices for the new SW computers are much more than the older versions prices. You got that confused it seems.

As for features, you got that confused too. It was Shearwater that had very superficial "upgrade" not Ratio. Ratio's new computers have substantial upgrades and enhancements in their computers some are obvious and some that are internal.

Ratio's new computers are indeed serious competitors to Shearwater with much better prices.
Hi BoltSnap. No confusion here. I think my point still stands, even if the prices of the previous models are discount prices.

I sure see that the computer has improvements, but a lot of the features presented above are already in the ix3m v1 : Very good compass, oxygen analyser, super-readable display.

The price "increase" is relevant information.

For owners of the existing model: How much difference is there really ? Is it worth the upgrade ?

For new buyers : Same question . How much difference is there really ? Should I buy the new one of just pick up the older, cheaper version ? (a lot of the same functionality in a less fancy housing )

As you pointed out yourself. The ix3m v1 is already a great computer with a lot of features and still available for a very neat price.

I sure see that the computer has improvements, but a lot of the features presented above are already in the ix3m v1 : Very good compass, oxygen analyser, super-readable display.

It some of the features are the same but there is a quite a bit of "upgrades" in the new version including the menu, buttons, display colors and screen, computer external case, algorithms, etc. AND there is also internal components and design changes that aren't apparent to the end user. The internal enhancements increase the reliability of their computers even more.

The price "increase" is relevant information.
What price increase? There isn't.

For owners of the existing model: How much difference is there really ? Is it worth the upgrade ?
That's a good question for them but I doubt that many would just throw away their older version just to upgrade to the new version. Some would want to have the latest and the greatest but many others won't since there wasn't anything "wrong" with the older version. I don't see your point here, you have none actually.

For new buyers : Same question . How much difference is there really ? Should I buy the new one of just pick up the older, cheaper version ? (a lot of the same functionality in a less fancy housing )

I am not sure that the older version will continue to be available as the older stock is depleted. Some will opt for the older version to save money and others will want the latest version with the enhancements/upgrades (myself I always buy the latest version even if it costs more money).

As you pointed out yourself. The ix3m v1 is already a great computer with a lot of features and still available for a very neat price.

Yes, until the current stock is depleted and there is no more of it available. If it were me buying for the first time, I'd go with the most current -BETTER- version for I see that the added features and enhancements are worth it for me.

You started off with false information (very in accurate information at best) and now back tracking. And yes, the older version is a great computer but the new one is a substantially better with very important enhancements and features. There are many more enhancements in the new version of Ratio's iX3M 2 than there is in the new Perdix 2 vs. Perdix 1. For some these enhancements matter but for others they may not but at the end the older version isn't going to be available anymore after their stock is depleted (I am not sure if it is still available from the manufacturer now actually).

FYI, although Ratio has plenty of parts stock for the next 12 months to manufacture the new computers, they are working very hard to keep up with the demand in their production. The reception of their new computers exceeded their expectations and are working very hard to keep up with the demand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom