Pursuit as a Dive Boat? sea trial today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Lamont, I think you saw the first boat, not the Pusrsuit.

The first one is a custom Glass-cat made here in Hawaii, very fule effeicient.

yeah, the pics of the glass-cat is what i was looking at...

Glass can get water logged, IE heavy if there has been untreated gel coat damage or inproperly instaled fasteners. Mold and mildew can occure on any surface.
BTW my boat holds 550 gallons without the deck tank, thats another 500. Wanna trade?

ItsBruce:
Remember: The first 90% of the expense is in buying a boat. The other 90% is in getting it ready.

That's a good one Bruce, I'll have to remember that...:D

so...WC. Your boat costs 2000 to fill up before the extra tank. and then...it would be four grand to fill it? lordy.

kinda makes you want one of those sailboat things like bruce has.

catherine96821:
kinda makes you want one of those sailboat things like bruce has.

Dang tootin. I got my 2 gallons in January and am hoping it will hold until December.

A couple of other things for you to check:
Are there blisters on the bottom of the boat? It is common on fg boats that are kept in the water.
Are there any areas where foam or balsa core has gotten waterlogged?

This thread is a little painful to read with all the attendent naiveté about making a major investment like this. Before you buy any used boat, unless you absolutely know what to look for, you HAVE to hire a marine surveyor to check it out. Whatever you pay the person is more than recouped by a detailed stem-to-stern inspection report of everything that's not only wrong with the boat but also what's right with it.
And surveyors are like any other profession - there are a few great ones in every port city and then there's the rest.
So besides doing your legwork on finding a boat, look for an inspired marine surveyor. I'm not current on who is the best surveyor over there, but I'm sure you can find out who it is with a little asking around.
Good luck with all that.

catherine96821 ---- Although I don't know you, I came across this thread and thought I would drop you a note. The main reason that I wanted to respond to the thread was you seem like you could use an outline for looking at a boat. Aesthetics are nice, but shouldn't be a large part of the purchase. Hull design, engines, layout, intended use, etc, are all large parts of a purchase, but, most people overlook the smaller things that truly make a boat what it is. From the type of stringer system, hull lamination process, deadrise, embossing/coring, how the gas tank is mounted, what type of wiring harnesses and fuse blocks, etc. Ride should be a large consideration also. I don't know the wave heights that you will be in, but here, I will take my Glacier Bay 2670 over a Contender any day in waves over 3'-4' true. (and I fish GB, Contender, Regulator, Hydra-Sport, offshore 40 - 60 miles every other week) Wave intervals also play a huge roll along with the size in the type of hull you pick. Not knowing your boating experience, I apologize if I am being "too basic". Believe it or not, once someone gives you a basic rundown of what to look for on a boat, you will usually make a more extensive "survey" than someone that you hire. Lets face it, it's your money and investment. When a survey is done on a boat, the two categories are usually "acceptable" or "not", based on the boat type, AGE, circumstances, etc. A wiring harness on a '90 model boat is not going to be in the same condition as a '01 and therefore, are not on the same scale. You would be surprised how one hull design verses another has such a big difference in fuel consumption. Sorry for the babbling. If you have any interest, give me a call or pm me with you contact phone info and I will describe a good basic "walk around" for you to do. The more educated you are about a boat, the more you will enjoy it and fewer problems to arise in the future. Best of luck with your en devour.

Reel Fishaholic:

Who are you? You seem to be new around here, but I'm already impressed by the scope of your knowledge (and I'm not easily impressed.) In any event, welcome.

yes, thanks....all advice greatly appreciated. I have been waiting for Monday to roll around to call the surveyor

The electronics have been a little concern, I hear you need to constantly stay on cleaning connections...

I did find a marine surveyor and don't mind the cost. In fact, after tying the boat up with a deposit pending the survey, I will make the deal contingent on the survey... I have found this works really well for a starting point on the negotiations in real estate.. You have an out based on what turns up...
Even with a surveyor, I don't mind looking naive (because I am) regarding the purchase. Posting here has given me a lot of information from people who I know understand the issues. I like going into the inspection process with a few clues about what the problems are and if they are easily solved..or not.
As well as the potential structural problems, I was interested in hearing the customary steps one takes in starting the process.

I have a couple boats in mind at the moment, and the owners haven't gotten real about what the market is like at this point in time. I was speaking with Wildcard last night and he was reminding me how very soft the boat market has gotten here, quite quickly. One reason, is we have in the last three months reached a saturation point for slips. There are none available. We put our deposit in and said "we don't have a boat, but call us when you are at the last 27' foot slip". So, a few months ago we came up to bat, and have been paying until we locate the boat. To further exacerbate the slip situation, the largest marina in Honolulu just had a big section of docks condemed, for a lack of a better word, and even live -aboard people were given a big Bon Voyage! Koolina is full I am hearing, at least for the small and midsize slips. So...quite suddenly, it has become a buyer's market.

No slips makes it much harder to sell a boat that is too big to trailor. If you cannot have it in the water in a commuting distance to your house...it is not nearly as attractive.

We, at least forsaw this, and are sitting pretty. We actually saved most of the money so we can move if a good deal comes along...in order to do that I need the crash course. Obviously...thats where you all come in! :D

I know it is complicated, but it isn't stuff I can't learn...or at least take good advice on, which happens to be my forte. Remember, women?---we are the ones that actually stop and get directions.

Back
Top Bottom