Pursuit as a Dive Boat? sea trial today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

too late. :D fishboy NOW you want to be my friend. If you know how to get in to our slip, maybe we can make a deal. So scarey.

yes, the docking was pretty nifty with the props going in seperate directions. It pivots. Yes, nice big Al swimstep/ ladder that lowers.

Nemrod...I like those boats. I wonder if they can handle the big seas? Thanks for the link. I wonder what the comprable size would cost. And if they make one with an enclosed bridge or a small cabin. WC, isn't that what you had?

There is a Pursuit in Hawaii Yachts and Boats. I guess I am looking at this size because I am a chicken in tiny boats doing the crossing to Molakai and Lahaina. I don't NEED to do it but JB wants to do it so he needs to get a big enough boat for it to be safe.

Jimbo is selling his boat... not sure if you wanna take that to Molakai and Lahaina though

Does it dock as nicely as my little boat? When you and JB get a boat, can I try docking it?

Edit: This weekend I saw what some really rough weather can do to those without sufficient boats or boat handling experience.

well, we will not have experience or training.

So..help yourself. I am always impressed with docking jobs, but you take the cake for 06!

Keep in mind if you are going to accept money for a dive experience the USCG is going to require a Captains license...start logging your hours now as a captain...less you're already in the process. Along with a boat load of business liability insurance etc...right now I would build at least $5-10k/ yr worth of premium into your liability with Katrina driving up business premiums (don't ask my why or how .. I just shell it out and keep plugging away). One mishap with folks on board who are paying and you'll need it. Also keep in mind all maritime accidents are considered proportional at faults. Nobody comes away from a boating accident blameless.

As for selling the young'ins after this weekend my 3 yr old is going on eBay at a deep discount.

Also I gather Nemrod isn't near h2o anymore but my guess the dock fee for 89 grade at your marina is upwards to $4-5.5/gal. Since you are moring in a slip ...get a bigger and badder credit card...

Now that I have just ruined your week ... that is one beautiful bad A... dive machin'a . You could easily ship that to Monterey and have a great dive platform for a small business. By the way the USN are about to spend untold millions in Monterey over the next decade and you're (family) retirement from the military would be a great choice. Monterey is going to be going off ...and according to the California Dive news Monterey is a premier dive location. Though I prefer the balmy warm waters of San Diego in my 7 mil integrated hood staight jacket..ha ha ha ha... ouch (just hit my head on the baseboards).

"Also I gather Nemrod isn't near h2o anymore but my guess the dock fee for 89 grade at your marina is upwards to $4-5.5/gal. Since you are moring in a slip ...get a bigger and badder credit card..."

You would be right but since we have a trailerable boat we purchase gasoline from places other than marinas whenever possible. High fuel prices are here to stay and thus my pointing out a similar but smaller cat type boat. Not being much familiar though with those waters I cannot say if it is appropriate at all-problably not but I have been on similar boats in the Gulf and they seem to handle fine in the rough conditions. A few months ago I went out on a 29 foot cat with twin Yamahs. It was fast and rode smooth even in three footers. It was very similar to the boat being discussed. I am not sure but I think the captain said his fuel burn was around 20 gallons an hour but his speed helped offset that--it was a commerical dive boat--more trips--more money.

Good luck, good thing when I worked for XXXXX oil company that I took them up on those stock options, we told the gubbermant back in 1988 that if there were not protections for the companies (remember--oil was like under15 dollars a barrel) that there would be a reckoning some day--well---I guess as long as we can send the armies of the empire out to be sure small oil producing countires have no WMD we will be OK.

That is a lot of boat to learn on, better get some helpers, I volunteer, fishoboy, move over!! N

Easy now... part of my resume now includes driving a Harbor Patrol boat at Pearl harbor... with twin 250's...

yes, Nemrod those boats were already on JB's short list....they are one of the few boats sold at the Winward Boats here...the only real dealer. So, it was a spot on selection.

Yes, the liability is 2, 800. for that boat to do commercial. We probably would not be interested in doing any commercial...we were looking at an option to have the boat run as a six pack (no CL required for 6 or under) just as a way to subsidize it a bit...but I think that won't happen. There is no money to be made in selling wholesale seats from what I have seen.

The owner is selling a fuel caddy that rolls down to the dock and holds...I think he said 24 gallons. Fuel cost is on the radar for sure...he said about 120 dollars to run to Molakai and hop from site to site and then return trip to Hawaii Kai.

I am not that big on going interisland, I have done it a few times and it can get real hairy. He keeps insisting though. For me...my backyard has all the diving I need.

he he, I don't know much, but I am pretty good at knowing who to listen to, and Nemrod is on the short list!

Also keep in mind all maritime accidents are considered proportional at faults. Nobody comes away from a boating accident blameless.

I did not know that...does that supercede state law? I have to remember to ask Itsbruce about that.

Hey...skull, what can you tell me about this Monterey forcast?

USN are about to spend untold millions in Monterey over the next decade

I have poked around up there, when I lived in Montecito and really love it. I know property values are very high, sounds like they may be heading higher? I have been following a similiar situation in Guam, with the influx from Okinawa..wish I had more money to invest. Property in Guam, right now would be very attractive to me.

hey...so when you gonna invite me out on your boat Jim? I have a nice grill for cookouts... (a boat in the hand is worth....more than the one I have)

JB just called and a suicide bomber just rolled into the outpost and it is very ugly. I don't know how much more of this I can take...the day to day roller coaster of death, near death. I may have to go look at some boats today. Definetly no more television. We used to worry about depreciation, liability, etc and now, the whole attitude is lets enjoy life. Two more here and then two in Monterey will work compared to the alternatives.

Do you all know anything about the general who is selling a big Glacier Bay? (maybe...rumor has it)

Fishboy...I had no idea you run Harbor Patrol boat at Pearl.. I am not sure what exactly I thought you did..but now I get it.

Alex is always diving us near some No-No zone over there, makes me nervous as hell. I always tell him "please just don't argue with them", they have submarines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom