Purchasing advice for used steel HP tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any special issues with a twinset of HP120 2014 Worthington Steel Cylinders? I think I have deciphered the neck markings correctly.
I also believe that they are PSTs not Worthingtons. I have found them very common around these parts... The DOT-E9791 exemption code shown in you pics is for PSTs: http://www.hydro-test.com/files/RESindustrydocs/PST-E9791-Bulletin.pdf Also, I believe production of the 3500psi /7/8" neck tanks stopped long before 2014, switching to the E7 3442psi cylinders with "standard" 3/4" neckshttp://www.hydro-test.com/files/RESindustrydocs/PST-E9791-Bulletin.pdf

Nice tanks. (I have 10, 6-100s and 4-120s). The 7/8 neck is a bit of a hassle to find manifolds for, but I've managed to accumulate a few. Keep in mind the the 7/8" neck is smaller than a 3/4" since different classes of thread specifications are used.

If you need parts for the Genesis slant-back valves, reach out to John at Northeast Scuba Supply.

I'll second John at NESS, I've gotten two 7/8" manifolds from him, rebuilt and o2 cleaned. Also recently got a set of 7/8 neck 100s from him with manifold, great tanks.

Ask to take the valve off and stick a light in to check for signs of corrosion (rust). Personally I would not pay more than ~$200 for a used steel cylinder that was out of hydro and vis.
Would you also apply this amount to ones that were made in 11/2014, in great condition, but are just out of hydro? I am looking to sell my set of double HP100 and that's their situation.

Also, I believe production of the 3500psi /7/8" neck tanks stopped long before 2014, switching to the E7 3442psi cylinders with "standard" 3/4" necks

Yes the switch from 7/8" to 3/4" necks was a lot further back - roughly in the 1999 - 2001 window. I don't recall the exact year.

Would you also apply this amount to ones that were made in 11/2014, in great condition, but are just out of hydro? I am looking to sell my set of double HP100 and that's their situation.
I realize that your question was not specifically to me, but partly, it depends on exactly what tanks you have.

Personally HDG PST E7 HP100/120s are attractive to me (as I'd like to eventually get some 3/4 necked tanks) if I stumble upon them for a good price. Some other folks like the XS Faber HDGs.

PST HDG 3500 HP100s with new Hydro/Tumble/VIP/O2-clean/valve-rebuild can be had for < $200 from the shop when they are available. I bought a (currently-split w/bands and idolator) pair, w/ current VIP and 1yr-old hydro for $400
I've bought new (painted) Fabers for $240.

A Hydro/Tumble/VIP/O2-clean/valve-rebuild would cost me about $90 or so from my LDS

-so-
HDG is a plus and for me Painted is a serious negative.
Bands and Manifold are a plus (for someone looking to dive them as a twinset)
NE/Mid-Atlantic is probably a net negative since there are a lot of similar tanks floating around, but an active market.
Metro-NY - well, depends on who has the car and and is willing to fight the traffic.

I realize that your question was not specifically to me, but partly, it depends on exactly what tanks you have.

Personally HDG PST E7 HP100/120s are attractive to me (as I'd like to eventually get some 3/4 necked tanks) if I stumble upon them for a good price. Some other folks like the XS Faber HDGs.

PST HDG 3500 HP100s with new Hydro/Tumble/VIP/O2-clean/valve-rebuild can be had for < $200 from the shop when they are available. I bought a (currently-split w/bands and idolator) pair, w/ current VIP and 1yr-old hydro for $400
I've bought new (painted) Fabers for $240.

A Hydro/Tumble/VIP/O2-clean/valve-rebuild would cost me about $90 or so from my LDS

-so-
HDG is a plus and for me Painted is a serious negative.
Bands and Manifold are a plus (for someone looking to dive them as a twinset)
NE/Mid-Atlantic is probably a net negative since there are a lot of similar tanks floating around, but an active market.
Metro-NY - well, depends on who has the car and and is willing to fight the traffic.
No problem at all. I appreciate the comments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom