What would you do with my tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No man, they don’t, the accurate thing to say is that they absolutely suck FOR YOU (maybe or maybe not in all environments)
There’s more to the equation than simply how much led one must carry with AL vs ST, but their buoyancy characteristics is the same no matter the water temp, thus manipulating other pieces of gear to achieve the desired amount of weight might be a better option for some rather than swapping for a butt heavy cylinder, some of us, don’t need as much led to begin with, consider that.

I’d rather be diving a ST100 man, they’re a lot shorter (good for me), more gas (good for anyone) as a hunter this is always good, but they simply suck for me, where an AL80 makes for a far more comfortable tank to wear.
No they suck.

Aren’t you 2 insightful, please allow me some time to process all this enlightening information you have posted to counter my points lol

Good night!

If you’re diving wet I’d just standardize on AL80s. They’re easy to move around, easy to get filled to capacity. Have good buoyancy characteristics.

If you need more gas dive double 80s. If you still need more gas sling a stage.

80s are also what you use for stages so standardizing on them is convenient if you progress into more technical diving.

I’ve sold everything I had that wasn’t 130s or 80s

If you’re diving wet I’d just standardize on AL80s. They’re easy to move around, easy to get filled to capacity. Have good buoyancy characteristics.

If you need more gas dive double 80s. If you still need more gas sling a stage.

80s are also what you use for stages so standardizing on them is convenient if you progress into more technical diving.

I’ve sold everything I had that wasn’t 130s or 80s

… cheaper to service, easier to service, less prone to problems, don’t require boots, lighter to carry, easier to store, cheaper to buy…

I have plenty of steels too, they have their place, but so does the ALs.

In what universe? When diving wet in warm water, AL80's buoyancy characteristics can be easily managed and may be a benefit for some. But in all other situations, AL80s have poor buoyancy characteristics. Apart from deco/stage bottles, aluminum tanks decidedly do not have good buoyancy characteristics for the majority of divers and uses. YMMV of course, but for me, I own 6 HP100s and 2 AL80s and I NEVER dive the 80s. Sometimes they will come up for VIP and I have not dived them since the last VIP. I'd sell them if I could, but here in South FL they are tough to sell. On the other hand, HP100s you can sell in a heartbeat because they are so popular.

Aren’t you 2 insightful, please allow me some time to process all this enlightening information you have posted to counter my points lol

Good night!

In what universe? When diving wet in warm water, AL80's buoyancy characteristics can be easily managed and may be a benefit for some. But in all other situations, AL80s have poor buoyancy characteristics. Apart from deco/stage bottles, aluminum tanks decidedly do not have good buoyancy characteristics for the majority of divers and uses. YMMV of course, but for me, I own 6 HP100s and 2 AL80s and I NEVER dive the 80s. Sometimes they will come up for VIP and I have not dived them since the last VIP.
Warm water is the only place AL 80’s are tolerable, but I would opt for a steel 72 anyway.
Around here any tank owner will dive steel.
AL 80 are heavier on land, they require more weight on the diver to offset making hikes to the beach and beach diving more difficult, they end up light when low on air pulling the divers torso up as the weightbelt pulls their waist down.
They SUCK!!!!!!
If I ever catch one of those vagrants on my property I’m calling the cops.

In what universe? When diving wet in warm water, AL80's buoyancy characteristics can be easily managed and may be a benefit for some. But in all other situations, AL80s have poor buoyancy characteristics. Apart from deco/stage bottles, aluminum tanks decidedly do not have good buoyancy characteristics for the majority of divers and uses. YMMV of course, but for me, I own 6 HP100s and 2 AL80s and I NEVER dive the 80s. Sometimes they will come up for VIP and I have not dived them since the last VIP. I'd sell them if I could, but here in South FL they are tough to sell. On the other hand, HP100s you can sell in a heartbeat because they are so popular.
Please see post #17, wanna work out a trade for your AL80s?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom