What would you do with my tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It wasn't a complaint. It was a lament 🙂
Typed words often lose too much. There is a reason I get fills at only one of the 4-5 other LDS in my area, good fills. My HP steels are often 3700 cold when I pick them up. Everywhere else is a hot fill to at best 3500.

Have you been in my garage? Sounds a lot like what I would do/did do. I used to have a couple of fat 133s. I got rid of them as I wanted the more standard diameter to avoid problems with tank racks and having to adjust the bands. Got Faber 120s to replace those, and 2 different sets of PST HP100s showed up a couple weeks apart.

I still have a couple of AL80s, but I haven't dove them in a while. They are mainly for my kids. They need less weight and can deal with those. I'll use HP100s if they are using the AL80s, or use the HP120s if they are using the HP100s. They have lower SAC rates than me, and this keeps us fairly even.
I’d get steel 72’s for the kids before I’d punish them any further with those aluminum things.
If you can find a shop to fill a 72 to 3 grand you’ll have an 86.
Ya, I've thought of getting 120s. I'm only 5'6" so I thought they'd be too long for me. Will have to rent and see

You remind me of an old dive buddy that remarked "Air?!? Air is for tires" when I mentioned using air on shallow dives. :)
at 5’6” a 120 is way long. I forget I’m 6’4” and 120’s can be long on me if I sling the tank low

I’d get steel 72’s for the kids before I’d punish them any further with those aluminum things.
They have HP100s when they are ready. They've used them before. They (my kids) don't use much weight at all with the ALs. But, yeah, I hear you. I'll likely get rid of them before too long.

They have HP100s when they are ready. They've used them before. They (my kids) don't use much weight at all with the ALs. But, yeah, I hear you. I'll likely get rid of them before too long.
Don't get rid of perfectly good stage bottles or O2 kits! Clean em, get an O2 valve and a DAN EAN kit. Now you have 80cf 100% O2 for emergencies.

at 5’6” a 120 is way long. I forget I’m 6’4” and 120’s can be long on me if I sling the tank low

It’s kinda funny to me reading this, there was a time, when I was teaching OW classes, on equipment talk and about tanks, I’d describe the differences between AL and steel tanks, if I remember correctly, the only positive thing to say about AL was that it was cheaper, in fact I think I’d say that’d be the only reason there’s so much of them, it’d be too expensive for shops to put the “much superior” steel tanks into the rental fleet.
I distinctly remember saying they’re less desirable because their buoyancy characteristics REEEEEALLY suck, ha, what did I know?

Later on, after getting into tech and receiving quality training, and with a better understanding of trim, buoyancy and propulsion, along with equipment set up and weight distribution, I now realize AL80s are far superior choice for recreational diving for myself.

That very buoyancy characteristic I once thought sucks, is actually the principal property that makes them so good for me (and more people than they realize), AL80s trim out better than any other tanks for myself, I wouldn’t even dare put on a 120, but even 100 (any manufacturer) I’ve ever tried makes me feel like I’m dragging my hips while diving.

I need to be in a dry suit to use steel tanks.

It’s kinda funny to me reading this, there was a time, when I was teaching OW classes, on equipment talk and about tanks, I’d describe the differences between AL and steel tanks, if I remember correctly, the only positive thing to say about AL was that it was cheaper, in fact I think I’d say that’d be the only reason there’s so much of them, it’d be too expensive for shops to put the “much superior” steel tanks into the rental fleet.
I distinctly remember saying they’re less desirable because their buoyancy characteristics REEEEEALLY suck, ha, what did I know?

Later on, after getting into tech and receiving quality training, and with a better understanding of trim, buoyancy and propulsion, along with equipment set up and weight distribution, I now realize AL80s are far superior choice for recreational diving for myself.

That very buoyancy characteristic I once thought sucks, is actually the principal property that makes them so good for me (and more people than they realize), AL80s trim out better than any other tanks for myself, I wouldn’t even dare put on a 120, but even 100 (any manufacturer) I’ve ever tried makes me feel like I’m dragging my hips while diving.

I need to be in a dry suit to use steel tanks.
You don’t say where you’re from.
Around here they absolutely suck!

You don’t say where you’re from.
Around here they absolutely suck!
No man, they don’t, the accurate thing to say is that they absolutely suck FOR YOU (maybe or maybe not in all environments)
There’s more to the equation than simply how much led one must carry with AL vs ST, but their buoyancy characteristics is the same no matter the water temp, thus manipulating other pieces of gear to achieve the desired amount of weight might be a better option for some rather than swapping for a butt heavy cylinder, some of us, don’t need as much led to begin with, consider that.

I’d rather be diving a ST100 man, they’re a lot shorter (good for me), more gas (good for anyone) as a hunter this is always good, but they simply suck for me, where an AL80 makes for a far more comfortable tank to wear.

No man, they don’t, the accurate thing to say is that they absolutely suck FOR YOU (maybe or maybe not in all environments)
There’s more to the equation than simply how much led one must carry with AL vs ST, but their buoyancy characteristics is the same no matter the water temp, thus manipulating other pieces of gear to achieve the desired amount of weight might be a better option for some rather than swapping for a butt heavy cylinder, some of us, don’t need as much led to begin with, consider that.

I’d rather be diving a ST100 man, they’re a lot shorter (good for me), more gas (good for anyone) as a hunter this is always good, but they simply suck for me, where an AL80 makes for a far more comfortable tank to wear.
Ok

It's lead btw

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom