What would you do with my tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warm water is the only place AL 80’s are tolerable, but I would opt for a steel 72 anyway.
Around here any tank owner will dive steel.
AL 80 are heavier on land, they require more weight on the diver to offset making hikes to the beach and beach diving more difficult, they end up light when low on air pulling the divers torso up as the weightbelt pulls their waist down.
They SUCK!!!!!!
If I ever catch one of those vagrants on my property I’m calling the cops.
Wrong in so many ways.

Heavier on land than what? 72s, how many people are using those, and how many shops will give you a reasonable fill on them, if they’ll even fill it?
Require more weight on SOME divers, you seem very difficult to understand this point I made very early on.
So, if I require less weight with AL80s, then beach diving is indeed easier 😉
They do end up light, that’s a good thing FOR SOME, get the hint yet?
Weight belt pulling down? Who the F uses weight belts still man? But more importantly, I’m carrying ZERO weight with me to offset anything, full 3mm suit, 5 mm hooded vest, 5 mm boots, Halcyon AL plate, AL80 tank.

Sorry your diving sucks, it did for me also some time ago, I’ve made changes.

I'd love to!! Feel free to DM me and I'll share the details on them.
Perfect, just want them free of paint and DIN valves, if other details good I’d do a straight swap with you, send me some pics and tell me the important dates

Heavier on land than what? 72s, how many people are using those, and how many shops will give you a reasonable fill on them, if they’ll even fill it?
According to what I see (via Mfg specs and the tank specs posted on SB), my AL80s weigh a bit over 31 lbs empty. My HP100s weigh 32 lbs empty. That's a negligible difference. However, at the end of the dive, the buoyancy of the AL80s end up being about 6 lbs lighter than my HP100s. So, if properly weighted, I'd need to carry 6 additional lbs.

Require more weight on SOME divers, you seem very difficult to understand this point I made very early on.
This I don't understand. How can you require LESS weight with AL80s than HP100s or other steels? AL80s end up positively buoyant by at least a few lbs. Most steel tanks remain negative, or only slightly positive.

Sure, I'm sure some divers are overweighted with steels with zero additional weight. In that case, maybe AL80s would work better for them. I mentioned earlier that my daughters use the AL80s with little weight. However, the majority of divers can carry less weight with steels than ALs.

I haven't dove my AL tanks in a long time. I much prefer the way the steels behave during the dive. ALs tend to get a bit floaty for me.

Wrong in so many ways.

They do end up light, that’s a good thing FOR SOME, get the hint yet?
Weight belt pulling down? Who the F uses weight belts still man? But more importantly, I’m carrying ZERO weight with me to offset anything, full 3mm suit, 5 mm hooded vest, 5 mm boots, Halcyon AL plate, AL80 tank.

Sorry your diving sucks, it did for me also some time ago, I’ve made changes.
Check your math, aluminums are lighter in the water meaning they require MORE weight on your body to offset them. An AL 80 filled to 3000psi at 70 degrees is 78.2 c.f.
A steel 72 filled to 3000 is an 86. I’ve gotten those super fills before, you just have to know who to go.
I can get 2500 all day long at any shop. Recreational diving started here in California, we’re not amateurs. We live in the real world here and any shop will fill them. This isn’t Florida. Everyone knows that steel tanks no matter how old they will live forever if taken care of. If they pass hydro they’re good. Sorry your shops there are so backwards. AL 80’s also have a life span.
A steel 3442 100 @ 70 degrees is 100 cf - 21.8 more c.f. than the AL 80. Apples to oranges.
Line up the AL 80 to an LP steel 85, better comparison.
Who the hell want’s to add 5-7 lbs. of extra weight just to accommodate one of those rat bastards?!
We dive in thick 7mm wetsuits, the water is 48 degrees right now, back plates, weightbelts, heavy fins, shore entries involving surf sometimes, low vis, etc. This is steel land.
We don’t tech dive, we don’t stage anything, we dive single steels WET!!!! OMG we’re gonna die!!
If AL 80’s could sprout feet they would run away screaming as the steels are laughing at them.

Check your math, aluminums are lighter in the water meaning they require MORE weight on your body to offset them. An AL 80 filled to 3000psi at 70 degrees is 78.2 c.f.
A steel 72 filled to 3000 is an 86. I’ve gotten those super fills before, you just have to know who to go.
I can get 2500 all day long at any shop. Recreational diving started here in California, we’re not amateurs. We live in the real world here and any shop will fill them. This isn’t Florida. Everyone knows that steel tanks no matter how old they will live forever if taken care of. If they pass hydro they’re good. Sorry your shops there are so backwards. AL 80’s also have a life span.
A steel 3442 100 @ 70 degrees is 100 cf - 21.8 more c.f. than the AL 80. Apples to oranges.
Line up the AL 80 to an LP steel 85, better comparison.
Who the hell want’s to add 5-7 lbs. of extra weight just to accommodate one of those rat bastards?!
We dive in thick 7mm wetsuits, the water is 48 degrees right now, back plates, weightbelts, heavy fins, shore entries involving surf sometimes, low vis, etc. This is steel land.
We don’t tech dive, we don’t stage anything, we dive single steels WET!!!! OMG we’re gonna die!!
If AL 80’s could sprout feet they would run away screaming as the steels are laughing at them.
I'm still trying to figure out what kind of little person would require zero lead when in a 3mm jump with 5mm hooded vest while using an AL anything... even with my 8/7/6 semi-dry, an AL BP/W, HP100 and pony I still needed 16 lbs of lead. This guy must be posturing and posting BS because he has so many piss poor tanks and wants to convince himself they're the best.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of little person would require zero lead when in a 3mm jump with 5mm hooded vest while using an AL anything... even with my 8/7/6 semi-dry, an AL BP/W, HP100 and pony I still needed 16 lbs of lead. This guy must be posturing and posting BS because he has so many piss poor tanks and wants to convince himself they're the best.
IDK?
Him telling me that you need less lead using an AL80 is a little weird.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of little person would require zero lead when in a 3mm jump with 5mm hooded vest while using an AL anything...
Yeah, true. My youngest daughter is a volunteer diver at an aquarium. She's pretty small. Maybe average (or slightly above) height for a 15 year old, but skinny.

With a 3mm and AL80, she uses 10 lbs. Now, she's purposely a bit overweighted to be a bit negative as it makes it easier to clean the habitat. So, realistically, it'd probably be 8 lbs.

This I don't understand

. So, if properly weighted

How can you require LESS weight with AL80s than HP100s or other steels?

I'm sure some divers are overweighted with steels with zero additional weight. In that case, maybe AL80s would work better for them.

No man, you understood it perfectly, you answered it yourself, spot on.

Some are just having a hard time accepting we are not all made the same, this coupled with the fact divers are generally overweighted, this is a wide spread phenomenon we all know, but hard to correct.

I just have a dense muscle body, nothing I can do about it, the amount of weight I require for diving is the amount of weight I require, not what some random ignorant internet dude is gonna tell me I require.

A steel tank just doesn’t overweight me overall, it’s worst than that, because of its buoyancy characteristics of being but heavy(ier than AL) it pushes my hips down, which makes it uncomfortable on my back, wants to throw me off my trim and in turn makes my feet unstable, very difficult to hover montionless.
I know a lot people can’t relate to this, because no matter what, they can’t hover motionless anyway, so I’m speaking Greek to them, they’re happy trotting along and aren’t really fine tuned to their equipment and body to even perceive these, sometimes finer details.

No man, you understood it perfectly, you answered it yourself, spot on.

Some are just having a hard time accepting we are not all made the same, this coupled with the fact divers are generally overweighted, this is a wide spread phenomenon we all know, but hard to correct.

I just have a dense muscle body, nothing I can do about it, the amount of weight I require for diving is the amount of weight I require, not what some random ignorant internet dude is gonna tell me I require.
Gotcha. OK. The way it was worded, it sounded like you needed less weight with an AL80 than with a steel. It sounds like what you meant was that you require less weight with an AL80 than the diver next to you would with the same tank. That makes sense.

Although, if with no ballast weight, the steel puts you out of trim, you can really only move the tank further up (to a point). If that's not enough you would have to potentially add weight further up to balance it out. I don't use much weight with my steel tanks, and haven't noticed them doing what you describe. But bodies are made differently, and tanks are also made differently, so my observations may not apply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom