Purchasing advice for used steel HP tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rvojr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There have been a few twinsets with bands and manifold of used HP100s (fewer 120s) listed in my area. What is the life of a scuba tank to pass hydro? They were born in the early 90s. Any advice as to what to look for or out for? I have noticed some misleading statements such as in hydro and VIP when after looking at some of the pics of them they are not. Some listed for anywhere between $320 to $600. I estimate the VIP, O2 clean, hydro and assembly will be about $125-150 for the set at LDS depending on whether they need tumbling. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Ask to take the valve off and stick a light in to check for signs of corrosion (rust). Personally I would not pay more than ~$200 for a used steel cylinder that was out of hydro and vis.

I only buy pre-owned tanks. Steels hold their value, but I'll stumble across amazing deals on my targets (HP100s and HP130s, hot dip galv only) and I'll jump on them.

I have some going back to mid-90s... have always passed hydro. I rinse my tanks along with my gear and regularly service my valves. My cylinders are the oldest gear I still dive every week.

If they're not in Hydro, I will not pay full price, as I'm rolling the dice.

I've never had had a steel tank fail. AL tanks, yes.

YMMV

- K

Keep in mind that even a brand new hydro and VIP is NO guarantee of good divable condition.

I picked up a couple of HP100s at the SCUBA Flea Market from a charity org. When I brought them to my LDS for a fill, I got a "let's just take a peek" - some agressive tumbling later, now I have a nice set of HP100s. Net cost was OK in the end.

although the profile page reads like an alibaba ad and the technical data is a little on the mysterious side i think you need your own compressor to get them filled over here, but would be interested to know, i think luxfer is working on something similar but i don't know if its approved for diving just scba for now,
that doesnt change the dynamics that composite cylinders holds a large store of air/nitrox, buoyancy could be an issue with drysuit or heavy neoprene. depending on your mission purpose its unique properties may come in useful.

Thanks for the advice. I did not have a good feel for how often i would have to scrap the tanks from which it sounds not too often.

Keep in mind that even a brand new hydro and VIP is NO guarantee of good divable condition.

I picked up a couple of HP100s at the SCUBA Flea Market from a charity org. When I brought them to my LDS for a fill, I got a "let's just take a peek" - some agressive tumbling later, now I have a nice set of HP100s. Net cost was OK in the end.

Are you saying those HP100s had a brand new hydro and VIP, and yet your LDS "took a peek" anyway and found rust?

Thanks for the advice. I did not have a good feel for how often i would have to scrap the tanks from which it sounds not too often.
Take care of them and they'll last forever. I have steels from the 60s and 70s that I just got hydroed. Rinse the outside with fresh water after a salt water dive, make sure the boot doesn't trap water (if it does, pull it for the rinse and dry at the end of a dive day). If you suspect a wet fill, have the shop pop the valve and dry it well.
Respectfully
James

Back
Top Bottom