Problem at Gilboa 4/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tech diving in Gilboa is very popular and it has an area where you can dive deep and can get into serious trouble. I think there have been at least one or more deaths there every year.

A free flowing reg at depth is really bad and if you have multiple divers having the same problem at the same time.... Really bad as one cannot rescue the other.

Very sad and makes me happy to not have done any deep diving there. The safe shallower depths are very nice. Lots of interesting fish in the quarry as well. Very cold under the thermocline....

Lee

dleepenn:
T
A free flowing reg at depth is really bad and if you have multiple divers having the same problem at the same time.... Really bad as one cannot rescue the other.

How practical is feathering the cylinder valve?

spectrum:
I had a deco reg free flow at 70'. I feathered it until it stopped at 50'. Worked for me- of course, the valve was in front of me and quite easy to reach.

spectrum:
Many readers do not know what that means. :hmmm: I guess I don't.

DandyDon:
Many readers do not know what that means. :hmmm: I guess I don't.
For a free flowing reg- it means to open the valve until it flows, breathe, then shut the valve. Lather, rinse, repeat. It's usually taught in deco procedures classes where divers might not be able to go directly to the surface.

OH-JJ:
With all due respect.... You don't know what you are talking about. the Deep side of Gilboa is not a Rec Diving area. The entry point is 117 feet, and with the spring rains it is likely even deeper. The absolute minimum redundant air source is a 19 CF Poney, with doubles prefered.

http://www.divegilboa.com/graphics/uw/gilboamap.jpg

You got me there....I was referring to 'warm' water diving & forgot to state that in the beginning of my reply( although referred to it in closing that reply, if I remember correctly)........my bad......I was just trying to put light on the thought not ALL Spare Air situations are deathly(like some here do)...Some air is better than NONE.....

Personally, if I had to dive in anything colder than 50 to 60 degrees, I would give up diving....Sort of like most people don't play golf, baseball, etc etc etc with snow on the ground---I can put it off for awhile & if I can't, I head down to Roatan or Cozumel & get my fix of diving that way.......But, that's me...In fact, that's one of the reasons I own a house on the beach @ Roatan, love that 80+ water temps & the reason I carry a Spare Air there.....

Again, excuse me for not being more accurate on my reply......You will not catch my *** living anywhere but in the (deep)South, next time I see 32 degrees will too soon......Keep the quarries for yourselves......

diver 85:
You got me there....I was referring to 'warm' water diving & forgot to state that in the beginning of my reply( although referred to it in closing that reply, if I remember correctly)........my bad......I was just trying to put light on the thought not ALL Spare Air situations are deathly(like some here do)...Some air is better than NONE......

But this is about a particular situation in a particular location where fatalities and incidents have occurred from free flows with alarming regularity. Theoretical generalizations won't save you or your buddy here. PRACTICED responses with regular buddies is what can help make the difference. But admittedly (and sadly), even that isn't enough sometimes.

Pardon my frankness and unusually fatalistic responses, but gosh people, we're just all one breath (and/or delayed response) away from not going home to loved ones. Please take planning and practice seriously.

diver 85:
You got me there....I was referring to 'warm' water diving & forgot to state that in the beginning of my reply( although referred to it in closing that reply, if I remember correctly)........my bad......I was just trying to put light on the thought not ALL Spare Air situations are deathly(like some here do)...Some air is better than NONE.....

Personally, if I had to dive in anything colder than 50 to 60 degrees, I would give up diving....Sort of like most people don't play golf, baseball, etc etc etc with snow on the ground---I can put it off for awhile & if I can't, I head down to Roatan or Cozumel & get my fix of diving that way.......But, that's me...In fact, that's one of the reasons I own a house on the beach @ Roatan, love that 80+ water temps & the reason I carry a Spare Air there.....

Again, excuse me for not being more accurate on my reply......You will not catch my *** living anywhere but in the (deep)South, next time I see 32 degrees will too soon......Keep the quarries for yourselves......
Be careful about offering up your warm water solution for a deep cold water situation. I did not reread your original post, but I can tell you that I don't recall a warm water reference standing out in it.

But I still wouldn't dive a spare air in either Roatan or Cozumel.........I have a buddy that carries more air than that on his back as a rock bottom. We aren't same ocean buddies.

I was there that day and it was 38 at 60 ft at the tubes it MAY have been colder at 100 ft

Firedoc48878:
I was there that day and it was 38 at 60 ft at the tubes it MAY have been colder at 100 ft

Not really..I'd say you're spot on. We scootered over by the tubes as well and it was just as cold there (perceptibly) as it was deeper. I don't recall feeling warmer with any semblance of a thermocline until we started ascending over the 70ft platform.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom