Problem at Gilboa 4/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ekewaka:
Inflating the bc and drysuit would only be necessary while descending. Why would you be descending while sharing air?

Divers distracted by sharing air, not paying attention to their buoyancy might descend (unintentionally) in the water column while they are initially starting the Air Share. If your buoyancy gets off in a drysuit, and you start to get a squeeze, you can drop quite rapidly (which is believed to have played a factor in the death that took place at Gilboa during the DUI demo weekend in 2003).

MikeFerrara:
As far as I'm concerned Mike has done everything reasonably possible to encourage safe diving. I know for a fact that this stuff bothers him and I don't know how he does it. It's time for the divers, instructors (students have been hurt) and the agencies to wake up.

As you're aware... these incidents absolutely make Mike's heart ache. He absolutely hates to see anyone get injured diving, let alone not be able to go home after a dive. He sick to death right now and takes each situation personally.

Most people see Mike as a grouch or mean, but he wants everyone to be 100% safe and have a good time. So when I see theoretical answers like "emergency pony bottle deployment" to real world situations like this, all that comes to mind is more potential statistics.

Just took a few pictures for anyone out there who might be curious...HP hoses empty slower due to the size of the orifice.

LP is on the left, HP is on the right.
hoseorifice.jpg

Again--LP is on the left with HP on the right. Note how the entire connection for the LP hose is the orifice, whereas with the HP it's just that tiny hole.
regorifice.jpg

Plus most people dive overweighted as it is...
If they don't sink while sharing air, they'll probably skyrocket to the surface from overbreathing during an emergency.

The one time that I have been to Gilboa I thought this sign was outdated because it didn't give any reason why a reg would freeflow below 60 feet. The temp below 60 feet at Gilboa makes sense to me now.

Always learning just wish it were under better conditions/examples.

Meister481:
If I remember correctly Gilboa has a policy that you must have a deep plan filed and in the rules to use the deep section it said you had to have a redundant air source or doubles. Is this correct?

I had a buddy do the 100' free flow trick on me in Lake Michigan, he made it to the top b4 the tank went dry- totally ignoring the pony he had slung. He ignored my signals to come to me so I could help him and donate gas. He just waved as he went out of sight. I had to do a free ascent trying to maximize my ascent rate and make it to the top in time to help him out.

It happens, so cover it in your predive- the consequences are serious.

Sign at gilboa on the deep side.

RegFreeFlow_tn.jpg

1_T_Submariner:

I'm a big believer in learning from someone else's mistakes. The "Lessons for Life" section in scubadiving.com's training area is a great resource. I've read them all.

1_T_Submariner:
The one time that I have been to Gilboa I thought this sign was outdated because it didn't give any reason why a reg would freeflow below 60 feet. The temp below 60 feet at Gilboa makes sense to me now.

One of our computers recorded 37F at depth this weekend and last.

I think I'd like to see a sign added:

XX people have died while diving the cold, dark, deep end of Gilboa since 19XX.
Are you prepared to handle an emergency at 100'?

On the subject of freeflow times the only one ive personally experienced was about 45 seconds. Depth 28m (3.8atm) on an Apeks DS4. Was purging my main reg to put some air into a delayed SMB demonstrating to someone in cold water (6c - 42f). As it was near the end of the dive the tank was low on gas at the time.

Freeflows and other incidents have a habit of happening at the worst time like that not the start of the dive with a full tank.

Back
Top Bottom