Port closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't have to be I find Yucab wall to be a beautiful deep dive with the leading in overhang and then 'the beauty' which is best seen below 100'. It is often overlooked as it is close in to the Marina. Same can be said for the Virgin wall, San Francisco wall and Tunich wall or reef.
I agree normally but with the recent tragedy on Santa Rosa even though my dive op or customers on it have no direct knowledge of events there is no stomach for any site with "wall" in the name with the other customers even if I wanted to dive those sites. I'm really sorry for all involved in the recent tragedy.

Anyone know what the actual wind cutoffs are for closing the port? Is the wind speed 20mph and gusts higher? Or is it a combo of speed and direction? Or something else?
It's a combination of wind speed and direction. Wind between due north and due west is more likely to close the port than the same strength winds from other directions. The more recent one for the far southern reefs is due to high seas coming around the south end of the island due to strong SE winds.

Strong SE winds are much more common than the nortes that close the port. We may see more of these closures in the future.

Im with you Kimela. Hopefully diving 25th-30th watching closely as well.

I agree normally but with the recent tragedy on Santa Rosa even though my dive op or customers on it have no direct knowledge of events there is no stomach for any site with "wall" in the name with the other customers even if I wanted to dive those sites. I'm really sorry for all involved in the recent tragedy.
If the dm/captain deems a site unsafe to dive given the prevailing conditions, I support that call 100%. While the loss of a life while diving is tragic, the Coz dive sites are the same as they’ve always been even if our perceptions temporarily change due to an incident. If folks feel strongly enough not to dive common pinnacle or wall sites, then maybe a few days off are required to regain a more positive mindset for diving…for their own safety. Nothing wrong with that…diving is supposed to be fun and there is always another dive. If a dive op or boat group is going to choose sites based on these perceptions and not the actual conditions, I want to know that before I board the boat. I don’t mean to be callous toward others feelings, but I try to be logical and if I’m there to dive…I’m there to dive otherwise I wouldn’t be there. It’s only fair to others on the boat who feel the same way otherwise they wouldn’t be there either. All IMHO, YMMV.

Partial closure, PC:

Good morning at 07:00 the navigation for small boats closes, from Punta Palancar to the South to Punta Celarain, and from Punta Celarain to Punta Molas, the above due to forecasts of winds from the Southeast with speeds greater than 25 km / Hr and high waves.

Looks like the south will open back up in the AM then most likely full closure in the late afternoon.

PC:
Notice to the entire Cozumel Maritime Community, the port will open to all types of boats and recreational water activities due to improved weather conditions starting at 8:00 p.m., due to improved weather conditions, however tomorrow the Cold Front enters with a North event with strong winds of more than 25 Km/Hr, so it is very likely that the port will be closed to smaller vessels at 3:00 p.m. Take your precautions. The Captaincy will be aware of how the event develops to preventatively close the port in a timely manner.

Looks like the south will open back up in the AM then most likely full closure in the late afternoon.

PC:
Notice to the entire Cozumel Maritime Community, the port will open to all types of boats and recreational water activities due to improved weather conditions starting at 8:00 p.m., due to improved weather conditions, however tomorrow the Cold Front enters with a North event with strong winds of more than 25 Km/Hr, so it is very likely that the port will be closed to smaller vessels at 3:00 p.m. Take your precautions. The Captaincy will be aware of how the event develops to preventatively close the port in a timely manner.
Maybe start our dives earlier. The boat we go out on leaves Fonatur at 9:30. Wonder if we’ll get the call to arrive at 9:00 or even 8:30.

Maybe start our dives earlier. The boat we go out on leaves Fonatur at 9:30. Wonder if we’ll get the call to arrive at 9:00 or even 8:30.
Tres Pelicanos departs @ 0800, looked earlier and they have space on the two boats running tomorrow ( :)yes a shameless plug to my LDS:D:D:D)

The boat we go out on leaves Fonatur at 9:30.
Ugh, past boat to leave, last to any site. Nice to sleep later I guess, I don't care about such but do like having time for breakfasts, but I like getting to the sites earlier most. To each his/her own.
Tres Pelicanos departs @ 0800
It's a fine Op, but I don't the drive to the southern marina, then walking so far to the boat. I've always preferred Ops that pick up at many docks. The boat ride to and from the sites is part of the adventure, even if I have to break out my foil blankets on some returns. They're cheap, easy to carry, and somewhat reusable.

Ugh, past boat to leave, last to any site. Nice to sleep later I guess, I don't care about such but do like having time for breakfasts, but I like getting to the sites earlier most. To each his/her own.

It's a fine Op, but I don't the drive to the southern marina, then walking so far to the boat. I've always preferred Ops that pick up at many docks. The boat ride to and from the sites is part of the adventure, even if I have to break out my foil blankets on some returns. They're cheap, easy to carry, and somewhat reusable.
I normally head to the Marina around 05:45.

Back
Top Bottom