Port closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh, please be nice this weekend.

oh, please be nice this weekend.
Lookin pretty good, maybe (and it's a ways out) a southern closure Tuesday morning if this forecast holds.
1674183902204.png

From the Port Captain:

Good afternoon to the entire community, you are informed that starting at 06:00 tomorrow, January 22, navigation for small boats will be closed, from Punta Palancar to the South to Punta Celarain, and from Punta Celarain to Punta Molas, the foregoing due to forecasts of winds from the Southeast with speeds greater than 25 Km/Hr and high waves.

Wing Guru:
1674333269435.png

Bummer. @BoundForElsewhere are you doing the barbecue today instead? Hoping the winds die down and STAY down.

EDIT: Looks like it opened after all? Yay!

Anyone know what the actual wind cutoffs are for closing the port? Is the wind speed 20mph and gusts higher? Or is it a combo of speed and direction? Or something else?

Anyone know what the actual wind cutoffs are for closing the port? Is the wind speed 20mph and gusts higher? Or is it a combo of speed and direction? Or something else?
It appears to +25 KPH from the SE around to the NE.
The story relayed to me (AKA hearsay evidence) is the current Port Captain is a current or ex Naval Officer and well respected as opposed to the previous series of politically connected bureaucrats who cycled thru the position in the past.
Last year supposedly it was a close judgment call and he warned the operators that conditions were marginal and to stay in close, safe and conservative. A snorkel boat went out overloaded and got into trouble and he got his a$$ racked by the higher ups. Since then he as followed a 25KPH rule.
On the bright side, unlike any of his predecessors, that I know of, he is is very forthright in his announcements. He also does partial closures if warranted, as opposed to full closures and if conditions improve more rapidly than predictions he lifts the closure. Personally I hope he sticks around for awhile.

The title "Port Closed" for recent conditions is kind of misleading. Yes, Saturday 1/14, the port was closed to diving. Since then the port has been either open or open with a closure for the Palancars and south due to South East winds or SSE. Tomorrow apparently again no Palancars and south.

Unfortunately what this means is 2 shallower "second dives". Visibility at times has been crappy also. Still great to be in Coz.

It appears to +25 KPH from the SE around to the NE.
The story relayed to me (AKA hearsay evidence) is the current Port Captain is a current or ex Naval Officer and well respected as opposed to the previous series of politically connected bureaucrats who cycled thru the position in the past.
Last year supposedly it was a close judgment call and he warned the operators that conditions were marginal and to stay in close, safe and conservative. A snorkel boat went out overloaded and got into trouble and he got his a$$ racked by the higher ups. Since then he as followed a 25KPH rule.
On the bright side, unlike any of his predecessors, that I know of, he is is very forthright in his announcements. He also does partial closures if warranted, as opposed to full closures and if conditions improve more rapidly than predictions he lifts the closure. Personally I hope he sticks around for awhile.
It feels like I've asked this question before. If so, I apologize. And hey, maybe the answer changed ... a little bit?!

Here's the screenshot from just now (4:45 pm central time). We are planning to dive the 25th-31st. I'm hoping it gets better, but it looks dive-able right now. I've been keeping track of the Port Captain closing just portions as well, and that seems to work out well for folks who want to get out. I can do without going way south. Heck, I'd happily do a double dip on Paradise if that's all we could do!

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 4.42.50 PM.png

Bummer. @BoundForElsewhere are you doing the barbecue today instead? Hoping the winds die down and STAY down.

EDIT: Looks like it opened after all? Yay!
Diving was delicious today. Columbia Gardens was a dream. Second was a drift dive but the name escapes me. Saw two seahorses and a pair nurse sharks that cruised us pretty close. Current was quick but manageable.

The title "Port Closed" for recent conditions is kind of misleading. Yes, Saturday 1/14, the port was closed to diving. Since then the port has been either open or open with a closure for the Palancars and south due to South East winds or SSE. Tomorrow apparently again no Palancars and south.

Unfortunately what this means is 2 shallower "second dives". Visibility at times has been crappy also. Still great to be in Coz.
Doesn't have to be I find Yucab wall to be a beautiful deep dive with the leading in overhang and then 'the beauty' which is best seen below 100'. It is often overlooked as it is close in to the Marina. Same can be said for the Virgin wall, San Francisco wall and Tunich wall or reef.

Back
Top Bottom