Fewer cruise ships going to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what you are talking about. If you don't quote what you are responding to, especially if it is a ways back in the thread, it can obfuscate your point.
I am very sorry I confused you, Gordon.

Let me explain; I was responding to post #37 made by Deepsea21.

Post #37 is the post Deepsea21 made immediately prior to my post #38.

Post #37 is the post (the only one in this thread, I think) that refers to a vote on the fourth cruise ship pier, except for my reply to it.

Someone is pulling your leg. Where was this "vote" held, Facebook? The municipio has no legal or procedural way to have a vote like you describe. The pier construction is still being held up by an amparo, not by any public vote.

Well, I was told there was some sort of official vote with like 60% of the population participating with a 75% against as the outcome. I've no idea how Cozumel citizens "vote" for this or that. I am only passing on what I was told by 2 locals who "voted" and represented that it was a government sanctioned vote and not some social media BS vote.

Well, I was told there was some sort of official vote with like 60% of the population participating with a 75% against as the outcome. I've no idea how Cozumel citizens "vote" for this or that. I am only passing on what I was told by 2 locals who "voted" and represented that it was a government sanctioned vote and not some social media BS vote.
The ecological activist group Colectivo Ciudadano Isla Cozumel, got together the minimum 3,000 signatures required to request a consulta popular (non-binding vote, or “citizen consultation”) on whether or not to construct the fourth pier, even though a "no" vote could not stop the project, because all the permits have been granted, the project was approved by the federal government, and the Mexican President wants it built. The activists gave the signed petition to the Consejo General del Instituto Electoral de Quintana Roo (General Council of the Electoral Institute of Quintana Roo) on March 4, 2022. Six days later, on March 10, 2022, the petition for the consulta was denied. On April 4, 2022, the Electoral Tribunal of Quintana Roo (Teqroo) ratified the Electoral Institute of Quintana Roo’s decision to deny the request.

I know of no other attempt to have a vote since that one was denied. The Municipio of Cozumel cannot just demand a consulta popular whenever they want. They are not empowered to do that. The state and the federal government are in charge of that.

There was a non-binding vote on the fourth pier in 2020, but you said in your post that it was held last month, so I figured you weren't talking about one that happened two years ago.

There was a non-binding vote on the fourth pier in 2020, but you said in your post that it was held last month, so I figured you weren't talking about one that happened two years ago.

So I guess the pier is going in at some point. Just what Coz needs... More cruise ships, more cruise ship passengers, more traffic jams, more pollution and trash blowing around.

Back
Top Bottom