Open Water the MOVIE...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think such a system as I mentioned would be extremely beneficial on the cattle boats.

The Kracken:
Perhaps this is off on a tangent, but I've often wondered by dive boats don't use a system similar to the Boy Scout "Buddy Board" used at the waterfront areas at scout camps.
Each person has a tag with his/her name on it. All participants are buddied up. The buddy pairs take their respective tags and move it from the "Out" section of the board to the "In" section when they enter the waterfront area. When they come out, they move their buddy tags from the "In" section back to the "Out" section.

A quick visible check alerts the responsible person to any unaccounted persons.

I've been on cattle boats in Coz that use this system.

They use that system on Blackbeard's boats, too.

The Kracken:
Perhaps this is off on a tangent, but I've often wondered by dive boats don't use a system similar to the Boy Scout "Buddy Board" used at the waterfront areas at scout camps.
Each person has a tag with his/her name on it. All participants are buddied up. The buddy pairs take their respective tags and move it from the "Out" section of the board to the "In" section when they enter the waterfront area. When they come out, they move their buddy tags from the "In" section back to the "Out" section.

A quick visible check alerts the responsible person to any unaccounted persons.
There is such a system - DAN tags. But, as with any system, it is not foolproof.

scubadiverjunkie:
In my opinion - this movie will hurt the industry by sending the wrong message to people who are thinking about getting certified. But that's just my opinion - what does everyone else think?

http://movies.go.com/movies/O/openwater_2004/index.html

There have been melodramatic movies about diving before this, and there will be continue to be melodramatic movies about diving after this.

Sea Hunt was very melodramatic, and it spawned the great initial surge in sport diving in the 1960s.

Big deal.

Its based on a true story...I am thinking the one of the couple in Australia, but this movie is based out of the Bahamas.
It's not coming out until August, so that's good instead of say, 2 weeks. It will probably only hurt the industry until the dive season is over, then all will be forgotten next year. If anything, I hope it wakes the industry up a bit!

Apparently the leading cast members were trained not to put their mask up on their foreheads :wink: I guess that means they aren't stressed about their situation.

How people respond to scuba diving in the short term will depend on how diving is presented in this film. In the long term it will have no affect overall.

scubadiverjunkie:
In my opinion - this movie will hurt the industry by sending the wrong message to people who are thinking about getting certified. But that's just my opinion - what does everyone else think?

http://movies.go.com/movies/O/openwater_2004/index.html

As a diver, this doesn't look like the kind of movie I'd rush to go see...nor do I think a whole lot of people (whether they are considering getting certified or not) are going to pay to see a 79-minute movie like this with no-name actors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom