Open Water the MOVIE...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garyfotodiver:
There have been melodramatic movies about diving before this, and there will be continue to be melodramatic movies about diving after this.

Sea Hunt was very melodramatic, and it spawned the great initial surge in sport diving in the 1960s.

Big deal.

I am just basing it on the stats after the original JAWS was released and that had a major impact on the industry - so I was wondering if we would see the same thing as that. I probably will see it just to catch some (hopefully) good underwater video :)

Bayou Platypus:
As a diver, this doesn't look like the kind of movie I'd rush to go see...nor do I think a whole lot of people (whether they are considering getting certified or not) are going to pay to see a 79-minute movie like this with no-name actors.
Let's throw in the fact that that they refer to the "threat" of the marine life. The largest issue that I see (which is too boring for a movie) it the thought of dehydrating and starving out in the middle of the ocean with little hope of being picked up. The marine life wouldn't be a problem until you got too weak to be able to fight them off.

Sharks and such are basically scavengers. They will wait for you to be basically dead before they attack in this kind of situation.

I'll say one thing. If a dive operator did that to me and I got back home, he would be suing ME for what I did to him!

diverbrian:
Let's throw in the fact that that they refer to the "threat" of the marine life. The largest issue that I see (which is too boring for a movie) it the thought of dehydrating and starving out in the middle of the ocean with little hope of being picked up. The marine life wouldn't be a problem until you got too weak to be able to fight them off.

Sharks and such are basically scavengers. They will wait for you to be basically dead before they attack in this kind of situation.

I'll say one thing. If a dive operator did that to me and I got back home, he would be suing ME for what I did to him!

Ditto that !!

I read about this movie last weekend. Yeah...it's not going to help the industry. That's a fact.

diverbrian:

I don't know...lots of sailors have been killed by sharks after their ship was sunk. Sharks are also sometimes a problem for divers doing decompression in OW.

Sharks can bite and sometimes they do. LOL

CincyBengalsFan:
I read about this movie last weekend. Yeah...it's not going to help the industry. That's a fact.

Cheer up. The people who will let a movie effect how they think and what they do probably should stay home anyway.

I am hoping this doesn't tweak that fear-of-sharks gland we Americans seem to have. That can end up with tragic consequences.

And as for the mask thing, I hate when people tell me to put my mask around my neck instead of on my forehead. If you had long hair, you'd understand why! I end up wearing it backward, which pleases some people, but I still get lectures about it. I digress. Carry on. :D

When I was in Cozumel a few weeks ago, I was told by people staying at another resort that a pair of very pissed off divers came onto shore at their resort one evening. Evidently they were doing a night dive, and they got left by their dive op. So they swam their way to shore. Evidently, they were diving rented equipment - they were so pissed off that they just left the gear on the beach.
Keep in mind that I heard this second hand, so it could be bogus.

MikeFerrara:
I don't know...lots of sailors have been killed by sharks after their ship was sunk. Sharks are also sometimes a problem for divers doing decompression in OW.

Sharks can bite and sometimes they do. LOL
This isn't a problem where we dive. Hypothermia... on the other hand.....

The fact of the matter is that sharks are still going to prefer a crippled animal that takes less effort to have to for dinner than a relatively healthy human. To say that they won't circle waiting for that event (sort of like buzzards), would be inaccurate as well.

Also, I treat almost all marine life as I would a black bear up here. I wouldn't harrass a black bear up here. I wouldn't harrass a shark, moray, etc. in the ocean. Same reasoning for both cases. It always annoys me when I see DM's and Instructors "down South" handling morays, sharks, (fill in the blank). Then people wonder why they got bit.

Say, Mike, isn't that an arguement for everybody learning to cave dive because it is safer, LOL. I have never heard of a cave diver being attacked by a shark while doing deco..... :D

Scuba_Jenny:
Its based on a true story...I am thinking the one of the couple in Australia...
Looks like the movie here is based on
these real events.

Find it hard to believe that any dive op could be so irresponsible as to leave divers behind in the open ocean...even harder to believe is that the boat captain in this particular case was found not guilty.

Back
Top Bottom