Open Water the MOVIE...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Cheer up. The people who will let a movie effect how they think and what they do probably should stay home anyway.

Thats what I was going to say.

If the rest of the movie is as bad as the trailer, I think it wil hurt the movie industry more. Or perhaps the travel industry in general as people will be reluctant to be alone with a partner that will turn into a whining mess.

JAG

diverbrian:
isn't that an arguement for everybody learning to cave dive because it is safer, LOL. I have never heard of a cave diver being attacked by a shark while doing deco..... :D

Not in N. Florida, but in Missouri we have some nasty cave sharks. The caves were getting a little too crowded with out-of-state divers til the cave sharks started thinning the herd. Apparently they can not only sense fear, but sand or salt residue on dive gear as well. :wink:

theskull

jagfish:
If the rest of the movie is as bad as the trailer, I think it wil hurt the movie industry more. Or perhaps the travel industry in general as people will be reluctant to be alone with a partner that will turn into a whining mess.

JAG
I saw the trailer. Keep in mind the case cited earlier in the thread where the people died. None of us truly knows how we would act after a day or so without food, fresh water, and/or little sleep. Interrogators use these tactics all of the time to break suspects/informants because they are effective and leave no marks.

I know that I have been in pretty bad shape sometimes after a long period of time with little rest and food. I daresay that if you leave anyone in the open ocean for a couple of days with the hopes of rescue dwindling by the hour, that you could not predict their response. Delerium would likely set in due to lack of fresh water by the end of the first day. After that, I can't blame anyone for sounding whiny.

As I said, the real threats in the movie are the hopelessness setting in and the slow starvation and dehydration setting in. These are things (except the hopelessness) that take time to set in and wouldn't look very dramatic. The change from a calm collected diver in hope of rescue to a panicked swimmer with little hope would take time, but would likely happen.

Oh about those cave sharks.... I forgot to mention the Great Lakes wreck sharks. They sense warm water gear on divers and thin out the herd when the free-flows happen...:wink:

It might hurt the dive industry, or then, maybe not...

I know it sounds bizzare, but in my other sport skydiving, we've see a wierd "reverse" effect.

Somebody "goes in", it gets spashed over the news, and the next weekend, the tandem students are lined up way more than usual. Go figure.

All the best, James

Who's got time for movies ??? I'm going diving !

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

THere is no way of telling if this will hurt our industry or not. The fact of the matter is... it HAPPENS! Not very often, but it is definitely something I cover with my students.

I always make sure I leave an "impression" on the captain and others on the dive boat. I do not want to be easily forgotten, whether it's my rotten sense of humor or a tip to the DM before the dive to please NOT forget me. Most divers are WAY too cavalier about choosing their dive charters. Maybe this will wake em up!

We have just had an example here, luckily it was a busy site and the divers were picked up by another boat. Bascially there was one big group and then two divers alone. The two did a longer diver and werent noticed to be missing so the boat moved to a new site. Everyone still pointing fingers at each other

Back
Top Bottom